m451 for 2 channel audio video set up

bardamu

m451 for 2 channel audio video set up
« on: 27 Feb 2011, 01:28 pm »
Hello,
I am Edward from the Netherlands and have been a serious audiophile for about 30 years.
Now i am in the process of replacing my old crt television with a panasonic plasma that will be available here in a few months.
The sources to be used will be a samsung digital decoder with an analogue output and a toslink dolby digital output. I also have a popcorn c200 with an integrated blu ray player which has also analogue output and toslink/coaxial digital output. At first i wanted to connect them to a rega brio or mira integrated amp and 2 bookshelf totem speakers like the totem rainmaker or mite or a secondhand totem model one. BUT i don't have a lot of space available in the rack i want to make in stainless steel at work. ( it will be like 5 feet wide and about1.5 feet high ) The top plate will just support the 50 inch plasma, the panel underneath will support the 2 speakers and the electronics. Using something like the virtue sensation m451 with remotecontrol will give the possibility to put it behind the screen to save some space. ( will the remote still work and will it not interfere with the plasma electronics or the samsung decoder that will pass me the tv channels? )
The set up doesn't have to play loud but it has to sound '' life like '' with television and dvd/blu ray input. Serious music will be played on my audio system. I did read that there has been a customer who didn't like his virtue with the totem staff ( if i remember correctly ) Does anybody have experience with the totems mentioned before when connected to one of the virtue amps? i would greatly appreciate some thoughts about my questions. Ordering the m451 will be easy . The totem dealer here is completely in love with them and is also a rega dealer. Should i just walk in with the m451 and hope it will blow away the rega? I have had a rega planet and now i am using a rega appolo with a curcio tube dac. I have some interest in trying the new rega dac but willing to wait or a virtue dac too.
Greeting to all of you, Edward

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: m451 for 2 channel audio video set up
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:04 pm »
My Virtue TWO.2 makes my CRT go fuzzy.  We've been working on this issue for a few years, not licked quite yet.

I've heard about some interference issues with plasma (not LCD) - anyone else?  We don't like sending products to Europe if they're going to come back!

momini1

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:43 pm »
I seem to recall a thread or review which suggested Totems are not a good match for the Sensation. I don't know if a particular Totem model was mentioned and they may be fine for driving the smaller bookshelf speakers. I remember being interested because I has nearly purchased a set of Sttafs before I bought my Sensation and I was relieved that I hadn't.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2011, 08:35 pm »
Yeah, Totems have really weird impedance.  Not a good match.  Sorry I missed that.  Check back with us in a year if you go Totem ;-)

bardamu

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2011, 09:25 pm »
Hello,
Thank you so far. I allready did start looking for other loudspeakers. One that looks interesting is the tannoy revolution signature dc6. Or maybe the usher if i can find them here easily. If the interference can be avoided by placing the m451 outside the rack supporting the plasma i will do so. i don't wanna use to expensive cables so a bigger length will not be much of a problem. Maybe i will go for the battery powersupply. In the early eighties i allready did have a phono preamp with 6ah sealed batteries and the French did publish a lot about car batteries for their '' le monstre '' power amplifier but ithink they will laugh if they see the cable and the connector connecting the batteries with the virtue amps. A big advantage of the virtue amps is their single power rail. With my pre pre amp a small difference between the pos and neg, tension would give dc offset at the output.
The panasonic plasma will be availabele pretty soon so i don't wanna wait for an amp that can handle the totems. I did read most of the topics and hope to get more stuff to read. Greetings, Edward

bardamu

Hello,
I came across a pair of tannoy revolution signature dc6 which might be a good candidate for my stereo tv set. OOH, they are already gone but still have the dc4 and the dc8( which for a second system in the same room is to expensive and to big. Still looking for speakers available in europe that will match with my future sensation.
The front end will be not so high end so i think i should also get the tube buffer ( will the 6085/e80cc tube be a good candidate? I have quiet a good stock of them) Maybe the sensation will be not so close to the front end to avoid interference so a buffer could be necessary to be able to use longer interconnects. The battery powersupply could be a later option. I did start ''rereading'' the french articles about battery supplies and they say a battery also has noise so you still need electrolytics to reduce it. In the amp they made most of the space was taken by the big electrolytics. Batteries did improve since the early eighties so maybe nowadays a little cap could do.
Just did discover a new regulated power supply 24 volts 14,6 ampere over here for 50 euros. The french always did say no matter how well you regulate you will hear the electronics involved. But for 50 euros we can give it a try. The voltage will give a little less output in watts but with 14.6 A it will never get exhausted. Will the tube buffer still function perfectly if it isn't 30 volts?
Kind greetings, Edward