X2 vs. X5 / X3 design choices

SoundSound

X2 vs. X5 / X3 design choices
« on: 7 Mar 2021, 05:09 pm »
Dear experts, :)
Could you please help me understand what most significant differences in design between these models are, and, most importantly, what differences in SOUND they translate to? :fishing:
I understand we are talking here passive vs. active, two-way vs. three-way, but what about the transducers employed? Do they share the same AMT driver? :fishing:
Bass driver in the X2's looks different to me from the one used in the X3's, etc. I was unable to find any specs published on the X2's, unfortunately. :(
Personally, I prefer the understated aesthetics of the X2's... 8)

Please chime in! :)

TomS

Re: X2 vs. X5 / X3 design choices
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2021, 05:54 pm »
The X2 uses an Acoustic Elegance TD dipole woofer or variant of it. While they are fine, purpose built, dipole friendly drivers, they have historically been very difficult to source reliably. The X3/5 uses a custom spec'd Eminence woofer, with much better availability. The X2 is also all passive, so 2-way, and no bass amp.

geerock

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2021, 06:25 pm »
Don't forget about the importance of the Ultralam baffle that is used on the x2 and x5.  It goes a long way in keeping unwanted resonance and coloring of the music.  Before I purchased my X5's I had heard the x2 as I was prepared to buy those.  But there was just something that wasn't quite right.  Granted, it was at someone's house and perhaps the supporting equipment wasn't right, or maybe the placement and room acoustics could have been better, but I ended up buying the X5's and, after trying a couple different amps and working with room treatments and placement, I couldn't be happier.  I will also tell you this, I haven't owned a pair of box speakers in almost 30 years, and never will.  Dipoles and OB's do it for me.

SoundSound

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2021, 04:51 pm »
Thank you very much, dear experts! :)
Tom, how would you compare the specs of the Acoustic Elegance TD dipole woofer in X2's and custom spec'd Eminence woofer used in X3/5's: I keep wondering about the price difference between the two designs? :fishing:
Before I purchased my X5's I had heard the x2 as I was prepared to buy those.  But there was just something that wasn't quite right.
That's it: we are humans and listen with our ears, not oscilloscopes! :) I was just curious about the differences between the two designs, and how they translate into differences in the most important characteristic - the SOUND. :fishing:

While we are on the subject of the design, could somebody please point me to the available measurement results of any of the X's? I searched high and low and still found nothing... :fishing:

Spatial Audio

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2021, 06:41 pm »
Thank you very much, dear experts! :)
Tom, how would you compare the specs of the Acoustic Elegance TD dipole woofer in X2's and custom spec'd Eminence woofer used in X3/5's: I keep wondering about the price difference between the two designs? :fishing:That's it: we are humans and listen with our ears, not oscilloscopes! :) I was just curious about the differences between the two designs, and how they translate into differences in the most important characteristic - the SOUND. :fishing:

While we are on the subject of the design, could somebody please point me to the available measurement results of any of the X's? I searched high and low and still found nothing... :fishing:

I can provide you with X5 measurements. The PC where much of the data is stored has failed, and we are migrating to the CLIO system, so within a couple of weeks, I should have something to post. Just send me an email in the future if you have product questions.

Clayton

SoundSound

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2021, 07:10 pm »
Thank you very kindly Clayton! :)
... we are migrating to the CLIO system...
I take it you are moving to the CLIO System with CLIO 12 software, which is probably the best there is, giving you the whole spectrum of objective data to evaluate your designs' performance, and I am very much looking forward to see any measurement results you will elect to provide. :)
Just send me an email in the future if you have product questions.
Thank you Clayton! Frankly, I was hesitant to bug you with private communications, and your willingness to answer personally is one of the reasons, in my opinion, you have such a dedicated following. :)