Anyone using H/T receivers with their Spatial M3TS?

SFDude

Just curious if this is your setup. What receiver are you driving them with and how do they hold up for both music/home theater applications? I have my M3TS speakers in the family room and want to be able to use this for mainly movies.

JackD

Re: Anyone using H/T receivers with their Spatial M3TS?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2019, 08:17 pm »
Mine are also in the Family Room as part of a 2:2 system with a pair of Rythmik subs.  When we infrequently use them for movies I just use the OPPO 203 connected to the DAC-10/ST-10. If you are using them as part of a 5:1 system that requires a receiver it will need to be able to deal with the 4 ohm load of the Spatial's but if you find one up to the demands it should sound fine. 

SFDude

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2019, 06:29 pm »
No, they won't be part of a 5:1 system. Maybe 2:1 (if I ever decided to get a sub for the family room) but mostly 2 channel duties that would sound a lot better than the TV speakers.  :lol:

yakbob

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2019, 02:03 pm »
I'm not driving my M3TS with a receiver (separates), but they do pull double duty in our living room connected in a 2.2 setup.
While the M3 is the best sounding music speaker I've had in my home, I feel that due to the "directivity" of the design there are better speakers for home theater use.

The sweet spot (in my room, in my system) is fairly small. This is fine if I'm sitting in it listening to music. But, if I have several people watching a movie spread across the room, most will be out of the sweet spot. I hear changes in sounds across the two speakers if effects are dramatic (a plane flying across the screen), but dialog and quieter passages sound like it's coming from the speaker I'm sitting closest to. (Kind of mono).

That said, my M3s aren't going anywhere. I absolutely love them for music. If your needs are directed more at HT, there might be better options.
One speaker I owned that worked well for casting a huge sweet spot (in a 2.2 setup) was the Gemme Audio Tanto 2 (now defunct Canadian outfit). Simple drivers with no crossover, beautiful transmission line cabinet, small (high WAF). They don't produce the bass of the M3, but I really wish I had kept them to rotate in from time to time.

Oldenoughtoknowbetter

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2019, 10:58 pm »
I know that I am late to this party but... I purchased the M3s in May. I have a Denon AVR-s710 in a 5.1 configuration that I use for TV and movies. I have been playing around with the Denon and an old Carver m400t that I bought when I was in college. I did not have a working pre-amp so I bought a Yamaha WXC-50 from Crutchfield because it was cheap and it could connect to the digital world. I also bought a Nova150 which I have returned because my AVR would not allow the Nova to integrate with the surround sound. In any event, this is my current discovery: The Denon can be set to drive 4 ohm speakers. It only has about 80 watts in stereo at 8 ohms and I do not know what the power rating is at 4 ohms. It has improved the sound when I listen to music over the AVR but I do not think it has transformed into a true, quality amp. The reason for this post is to send you out to see if your current AVR can be configured for 4 ohm impedance. I had to download the manual from Denon to figure this out. I have had the Denon for 5 years or so and the manual was lost long ago.

The Carver is old but it still works fine. I am considering upgrading to a Vidar but I am taking it slowly at this point. At my age, (57), I don't often sit down and crank up the 2.0 system like I did 30 years ago. One of the reasons I bought the Nova was because it would accept pre-amp inputs from the AVR which will allow you to use the M3s in TV/movie 5.1 with the AVR driving the other surround speakers. Unfortunately for me, the Denon did not have pre-amp outputs. I am back to two sets of speaker cables: one set from the Denon and one set from the Carver/ Yamaha components. I have bumped my head several times on the upper tweeter driver on the M3s trying to switch speaker wires and have the scars to prove it! The search continues.