Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour (New Tour With Speaker Cables: Page 10)

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour
« Reply #40 on: 7 Aug 2013, 09:00 pm »
Woohoo. I made the list  :D  -- looking forward to this. I'll be comparing your RCA cables to my balanced ones; should be interesting!

The XLR cable is looking like a separate tour since there are only 4 folks interested in checking it out. Launche is going to give it to poseidonsvoice since they are local to one another, then poseidonsvoice will send it to you, then on to mikeeastman.

So you won't get the XLR at the same time as the single ended ICs, but you will have a chance to check out both.  :)

Charles Xavier

« Reply #41 on: 7 Aug 2013, 09:31 pm »
I missed the Fed Ex guy. Guess I'll get them thursday.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #42 on: 7 Aug 2013, 10:34 pm »
The XLR cable is looking like a separate tour since there are only 4 folks interested in checking it out. Launche is going to give it to poseidonsvoice since they are local to one another, then poseidonsvoice will send it to you, then on to mikeeastman.

How did I end up in the sh*thouse?  :lol:  I thought Anand was going to send the XLR's to me.  However, it may actually work out better if I am "last" on the XLR list as I just sent my E20 DAC back to Exasound for an upgrade.  I won"t have it back for a week or two.  When will Anand be finished?

Regards,

Randy

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #43 on: 7 Aug 2013, 11:59 pm »
How did I end up in the sh*thouse?  :lol:  I thought Anand was going to send the XLR's to me.  However, it may actually work out better if I am "last" on the XLR list as I just sent my E20 DAC back to Exasound for an upgrade.  I won"t have it back for a week or two.  When will Anand be finished?

Regards,

Randy

It won't take me more than a weekend to evaluate, and Launche is planning on sending it to me mid/late next week...
Best,
Anand

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 8 Aug 2013, 12:03 am »
It won't take me more than a weekend to evaluate, and Launche is planning on sending it to me mid/late next week...
Best,
Anand

:o  You are auditioning cables!?!?!?!?!   :o 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #45 on: 8 Aug 2013, 12:19 am »
:o  You are auditioning cables!?!?!?!?!   :o

I know, I know!!! Both Launche and I thought the same but hey, I don't mind giving Dave my $.02 on how it sounds versus my stock cables I have...call us the R&D team for Dave!

Best,
Anand.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #46 on: 8 Aug 2013, 04:47 am »

Regards,

Randy

Oops...  :oops:  Sorry, I didn't have you down for the XLR but I suppose it will work out better anyway if your DAC is in for upgrades. I will move you down the list for the single ended cables too, let me know when you get your DAC back or I will check with you in a week or so to see where you're at.

And yes, I do appreciate you guys auditioning the cables for me.  :thumb:

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #47 on: 14 Aug 2013, 07:14 pm »
OK, Launche now has a set of cables and Charles Xavier handed them off to jbtrio.  :thumb:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #48 on: 16 Aug 2013, 07:21 pm »
I'd like to thank Dave for allowing me to audition his D1 XLR cables.  Here are my thoughts on the D1 XLR in my 2 channel/home theater system: Speakers - Danley SH50, Amp - DAC Cherry - Preamp -W4S STP SE Source - Oppo BDP-95.

Disclaimer:  I don't do a lot of "subtle"...I'm a hit me upside the head differences kind of guy.  If I "thought" I heard something then to me I really didn't hear it or maybe it doesn't matter that much to me at the moment.

I feel Dave's D1 XLR cables did no harm in my system.  Honestly, I found it hard to detect any major differences from my resident XLR cables (Zu Mission which I find to be pretty good).  Given the minute it took to change cables each time when doing quick A/B comparisons, I'd be hard pressed to say there were glaring differences without it just being confirmation bias.  During long listening sessions I was fine with either cable, not feeling I was missing anything of value to me with either cable out.

For what I did think I perceived... I gathered a balanced and smooth sound from Dave's cables with maybe a slight bit of midrange and upper bass warmth/fullness vs my stock cables (which I feel are also good in those areas) which may have leaned more so to slightly highlight the treble frequencies.  But again it was slight and I could also be wrong but that was my impression.  Dave's cables also seemed a slight bit more laid back sounding, potentially due to the previous comment.  Could I tell them apart in a true ABX test, not a chance.  Best I can say is I felt the cables didn't seem to get in the way of my enjoyment which is the most important thing to me these days.  Any differences I could perceive were slight, my impression of a bit more overall top to bottom balance and ease of presentation when I inserted Dave's cables was the take away.  My resident cables might sound a bit more lively and energetic but even that is just a touch so.

I do have interest in purchasing some of Dave's cables as my system configuration will be changing but I want to see how that unfolds first.

Thanks Dave

fridays

« Reply #49 on: 16 Aug 2013, 08:17 pm »
Too bad you could not have listened to the D2 or the DD's

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #50 on: 16 Aug 2013, 10:09 pm »
Too bad you could not have listened to the D2 or the DD's

It's ok, there's no D2 or DD XLR cable yet... I want to make sure the basic and much less expensive D1 formulation worked out before spending lots more (over 10x more) on UPOCC/teflon ground wires and Duelund signal wire.

I'm happy my basic D1 formulation worked out and seemed to equal the Zu Mission, which is a more expensive cable.

Launche, thanks for taking the time to check out the cable and let us know your thoughts, I appreciate it.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #51 on: 20 Aug 2013, 10:22 am »
I am now in receipt of Dave's XLR cables. Listening should commence soon and then off it goes to rklein by early next week!

Best,
Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #52 on: 29 Aug 2013, 04:47 am »
Once again, I would like to thank Dave for allowing me to audition his XLR version of his D1 interconnects. My system description is right below my avatar, and honestly, it would take a little more than 1/2 this post to just describe it, so I refer you there!

I inserted Dave's D1 cable between my dac (Poseidon's Voice Sabre 32S) and my preamp (Poseidon's Voice Lazarus). I felt this position was best due to the way my system is configured - controlled directivity loudspeakers augmented by multiple subwoofers. My 'stock' cable is VH Audio's Symmetry Copper XLR cable which I built myself. As a factory direct retail product, the cost is about $725/meter pair. I diy'ed the product for considerably less, about $400/pair as I received a discount from VH Audio and also a larger discount on the Furutech FP-600 series gold connectors from Parts Connexion. The VH Audio Symmetry Copper XLR cable uses a pair of 24AWG copper solid core conductors with solid FEP insulation and a double shield of foil and silver plated copper spaced away from the conductors. Measurements on the cable are available from Chris Ven Haus by request, as are now Dave's cables.

I auditioned the cables at the same volume level on my Lazarus preamplifier, initially with quick A/B comparisons and later on with longer listening sessions. The following selections were used:

Track 12 - Carrickfergus; Celtic Woman: A New Journey

Track 5 - No Sanctuary Here; Chris Jones: Roadhouses & Automobiles

Track 5 - Bigfoot; Bela Fleck & the Flecktones:Live Art

Track 7 - Devil May Care; Diana Krall:Live in Paris

Every single one of the above recordings I strongly recommend purchasing, they are absolutely fantastic. Chris Jones' Roadhouses & Automobiles album should be a reference for all references. It is the most analog recording on a digital medium that I have heard to date.

To be honest, my review is going to closely mirror what Launche said. The fact that Dave's D1 cables sounded quite close to the Symmetry is a complement to Dave's design and execution. The differences were in fact, subtle. I listen at very high volumes - about 85-90 dB at the listening position, which is roughly 11-12 feet away. To that end Dave's D1 cables accentuated the upper midrange a bit more and lost some of the smoothness that was apparent on the Symmetry cables. Staging was very similar as was imaging. Dynamic attack was similar, although the bass with Dave's D1 cables was a smidgen less defined. The Symmetry was a bit more cohesive whereas Dave's cables accentuated an extreme here and there. I immensely enjoyed Dave's D1 cables regardless and they didn't deter me from appreciating the music in the least.

If you were to ask me to tease the differences when blinded - it would be impossible. The differences are subtle and small, at least in my system, and with my ears (which I recently had tested by my audiologist).

What is shocking though is the apparent difference in price, especially if you went with the factory direct retail price of the VH Audio Symmetry Copper XLR's. One of the reasons for the large differences is that Dave's D1 cables use a considerably cheaper XLR male/female connector from Furutech versus the VH Audio's use of the nearly top of the line Furutech gold XLR connectors.

I purchased Dave's DD cables (RCA) to go from my turntable to my phonostage. I am now thrilled with that purchase after having auditioned Dave's D1 version of his XLR cables.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2013, 10:38 am by poseidonsvoice »

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #53 on: 30 Aug 2013, 04:49 pm »
Hi Anand,

Thanks for trying out the XLR, I appreciate it.  :thumb:

Good review and I'm surprised this cable only had subtle and small differences from the VH Audio cable given the huge difference in price.

------------------------

jbtrio sent the cables to Nature Boy, and Launche currently has a set of single ended cables as well, which he will be sending to rklein when he is ready. We should get to hear jbtrio's thoughts soon, I think he liked them since he picked up a set of DD cables for his system.  :wink:  Thanks!

Thanks to everyone's participation in the tour, I appreciate the interest and feedback!

Liam2

« Reply #54 on: 3 Sep 2013, 02:58 pm »
Bought the Chris Jones, Bela Fleck, and Diana Krall CD's to rip for my system, having listened to them online..  Thanks for the recommendations, and nice review.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 3 Sep 2013, 03:36 pm »
So now that you're big time will you be at RMAF in a room?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #56 on: 3 Sep 2013, 04:35 pm »
Lol, not exactly big time yet...  :green:

No room at RMAF this year.

I am very happy with the reception and reviews my cables are getting though, it has exceeded my expectations. I think I am succeeding at my goal of being able to offer cables at a value unheard of in the industry. My D1 is very close to the performance of the best cables out there for relatively little money and the D2, DD and speaker cables can be compared with anything out there regardless of price, and they are all under $500. 

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #57 on: 9 Sep 2013, 04:24 pm »
Nature Boy is sending the cables on to mjosef today.

Folks, please post your impressions after you have had a chance to hear them, that's part of the tour. Everyone will appreciate hearing your comments on them.  :)

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #58 on: 9 Sep 2013, 08:03 pm »
I auditioned Dave's RCA cables (D1, D2, DD) and liked them very much.  My amp only accepts XLR inputs so I had to use adapters so I may have missed some level of performance with the extra element in the signal path.  Not a lot to report as my audition time came during one of those really busy periods with work and life and I just did not have the time or will to do any in depth analysis and I updated Dave on this. My audition system is: Oppo BDP95->Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Preamp->DAC Cherry Amp->Danley SH50/TH50 speakers and sub.

I listened mostly for relaxation and enjoyment which I needed.  The D1 was nice, D2 nicer and DD...well that was the one that just seem to fit the best in my system, though each cable very sounded good.  I primary used the DD between my pre-amp and amp.  From the moment I Insert the DD everything felt about right and I didn't want to take it out to switch anything or compare anything.  I haven't heard many silver cables but this one was different from the very few I've heard in my systems over the years.  In my system it presented an increased level of listening enjoyment. 

Well all I could or wanted to analyze was a slight reserved nature from the mids through the top end in my system, which is welcomed.  The midrange sounded as natural as it ever has and the top end energy was smoother or less extended or more refined...hard to say which exactly. That made the system just a touch more relaxed and easy to listen too without a thought of anything missing, no distractions that concerned me just a musically centered quality, seeming a touch or two away from neutral in the warm direction but in the right ways for my tastes.  The DD was plenty detailed and transparent and seemed to piece the notes together more cohesively than my stock Zu Mission cable.  The DD seems to shift the tonal balance a bit lower and give more foundation for everything to rest upon.  There was a good sense of appropriate weight and top to bottom balance with the DD, for me a very reassuring sound quality.

As many non-equalized systems are, mine is a little hot on certain trebles frequencies, not harsh but a little pronounced and the DD was a great compliment in that respect.
One night I must have listened to Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions five times in a row, just sank right in the chair.  When I needed a pick me up Daft Punk's RAM was great, pushed the system to 95-98 dBs, no problem and little to no treble fatigue beyond the obvious hey that's damn loud-ness cues.  That was a little shocking and I'm not sure what is the cause, if the adapters were in play or what have you but I felt I could push the system harder with lesser ill effects that are typical for those loudness levels.  Jazz, classical, blues all sounded just wonderful I cared not to analyze but just listen. 

Truth be told I still don't want to believe the DD cable made the difference, that it might provide that extra layer of smoothness and cohesion.  Making the system have the feeling of a little coating of agave nectar that delights the palette and pulls all the flavors together .  But I have to say I sensed it when I inserted it and sensed the loss when it was out.  Nothing earth shattering but noticeable and welcomed when there.  Normally I can adjust to something in or out of the system and enjoy accordingly.  I don't obsesses over every perceivable difference, some things are just different sounding for whatever reason not necessarily better or worse and one can adjust in most cases either way.  I wanted to wait a few days before writing to see how I would acclimate to the DD cable being out of the system and it somewhat pains me to say I find myself missing the DD cable.  Honestly, if my system configuration were not soon changing I would buy the DD without reservation and frankly I may still buy it. 

Thanks again Dave

nature boy

« Reply #59 on: 10 Sep 2013, 01:34 pm »
Nature Boy is sending the cables on to mjosef today.

Folks, please post your impressions after you have had a chance to hear them, that's part of the tour. Everyone will appreciate hearing your comments on them.  :)

Slight delay.  Shipped cables today, mjosef should have these by Thursday.  Enjoy.

NB