DAC 4800A

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
DAC 4800A
« on: 4 Mar 2020, 05:19 am »
Not sure if this is the DAC site or not.  Pardon my lack of computer ability.  I received my DAC 4800A amp back today.  Been listening all day, it sounds as amazing as the first time prior to the repair.  This my first amp that is so quiet I can hear the ants outside, no not really, however the DAC amps just suddenly burst forth with Music, glorious, transparent, very dynamic music.  Highs, lows, it is there there.  It gained weight while being fixed a Tommy O'DACs second home.  He upgraded the power supply to MKII level.  The amp was not broke, per se.  The toroidal transformer started buzzing, annoying during quiet passages.  We emailed about the item a few times, and he quoted a very reasonable and fair repair price.  When he did the initial open heart probe, he found a whole lot more problems, I think a list of 10 separate problems, only one related to the transformer.  I had prepaid for the repairs.  Tommy has so far refused to bill me for the extras.  YES, that is correct he did All the repairs and returned it today.  That is above and beyond what any other stereo shop has done, way beyond.

Tommy when you crowdsource/build that preamp, please put me on your list.  I had read about DAC amps for more than 6 months prior to my purchase, used, of the DAC4800A.  The first thing I found was nobody seemed to sell DAC or DAC Cherries used.  Occasionally would see a past sale that was sold.  The Music Room in CO.  Had the DAC4800A up for sale.  This was my first 1000 dollar amp.  It has been a delight ever since.  Just before shipping the amp back to Tommy at DAC, a 60 volt super Maraschino came on ebay.  We negotiated a price.  The Maraschino is driving the left speaker, the 4800A the right.

The music just boils up into the room.  There is absolutely no hint of noise or electronic artifacts, with my ears checking each driver, nada, nothing, cold silence, warm silence, just silence until the music starts.  When I first got the 4800A, that was what I noticed first, the its working silence.  I have used Acurus and JBL Synthesis and MTX Craftsmen amps, all 200wpc, all demonstrate a less than silent background.  In the 70/80s terms, the amplifiers quiescent noise was zero or un-audible for Tommys DAC amps.

This is hopefully a long and wonderful relationship with DAC amps and probably more DAC products in the future, especially a preamp.  A big shout out and Card of thanks to the wonderful folks at Digital Amplifier Company of PA.  T. you folks are awesome or wonderful or beyond the best.

With sincerity, Jerry Moats

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: DAC 4800A
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2020, 09:04 pm »
Not sure if this is the DAC site or not.  Pardon my lack of computer ability.  I received my DAC 4800A amp back today.  Been listening all day, it sounds as amazing as the first time prior to the repair.  This my first amp that is so quiet I can hear the ants outside, no not really, however the DAC amps just suddenly burst forth with Music, glorious, transparent, very dynamic music.  Highs, lows, it is there there.  It gained weight while being fixed a Tommy O'DACs second home.  He upgraded the power supply to MKII level.  The amp was not broke, per se.  The toroidal transformer started buzzing, annoying during quiet passages.  We emailed about the item a few times, and he quoted a very reasonable and fair repair price.  When he did the initial open heart probe, he found a whole lot more problems, I think a list of 10 separate problems, only one related to the transformer.  I had prepaid for the repairs.  Tommy has so far refused to bill me for the extras.  YES, that is correct he did All the repairs and returned it today.  That is above and beyond what any other stereo shop has done, way beyond.

Tommy when you crowdsource/build that preamp, please put me on your list.  I had read about DAC amps for more than 6 months prior to my purchase, used, of the DAC4800A.  The first thing I found was nobody seemed to sell DAC or DAC Cherries used.  Occasionally would see a past sale that was sold.  The Music Room in CO.  Had the DAC4800A up for sale.  This was my first 1000 dollar amp.  It has been a delight ever since.  Just before shipping the amp back to Tommy at DAC, a 60 volt super Maraschino came on ebay.  We negotiated a price.  The Maraschino is driving the left speaker, the 4800A the right.

The music just boils up into the room.  There is absolutely no hint of noise or electronic artifacts, with my ears checking each driver, nada, nothing, cold silence, warm silence, just silence until the music starts.  When I first got the 4800A, that was what I noticed first, the its working silence.  I have used Acurus and JBL Synthesis and MTX Craftsmen amps, all 200wpc, all demonstrate a less than silent background.  In the 70/80s terms, the amplifiers quiescent noise was zero or un-audible for Tommys DAC amps.

This is hopefully a long and wonderful relationship with DAC amps and probably more DAC products in the future, especially a preamp.  A big shout out and Card of thanks to the wonderful folks at Digital Amplifier Company of PA.  T. you folks are awesome or wonderful or beyond the best.

With sincerity, Jerry Moats
Jerry,

Yes, you are in the right place!

What you have there is one of only two DAC4800As that we have converted to a Stereo MEGA MK2 so far!  A VERY capable amplifier handling peaks of 1000W into 4Ω, and featuring:
  • 120dB SNR
  • 150kHz bandwidth
  • End-to-end DC coupling
  • True Balanced architecture
  • Super low distortion (0.001% mid-power)
  • Wideband Low Output Impedance

When we talked, I promised to get your DAC4800A all fixed up and modernized with the latest internal hardware (including a new transformer).  You covered the upgrade cost, and the extra repairs were on us.
 It's our pleasure to deliver your special amplifier with the latest Cherry Amp technology inside!

Best Regards,
Tommy

We have the other DAC4800A MEGA MK2 here, as a reference, and it's for sale.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com for more information.  Some photos here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164331.0

Wind Chaser

Re: DAC 4800A
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2020, 12:21 am »
Awesome products with awesome customer service... :thumb: