Salk Custom Rythmik Sub(s) - Happy new Owner

Gzerro

Salk Custom Rythmik Sub(s) - Happy new Owner
« on: 29 Jan 2012, 04:28 pm »
There have been quite a few posts about Subs lately so though I would post some pics of my custom Salk Rythmik 15" sub I recently received. I have a second one on order, but there was a delay on some parts so I just have the one for now.

I apologize for the poor quality of the pics, I am not much of a photographer.

I was evaluating all of the various ID subs HSU, Rythmik, Epik, SVS etc etc. My primary interest is clean bass for music, although I use my system for HT as well. Extremely high volume isn't a priority for me so I focused mainly on sealed designs.

I decided to call Jim since I have been so pleased with my STs and he recommended the Rythmik in a Custom Cabinet. I decided to order from Salk and am really pleased with the result. The Cabinet is stunning (straight mahogany veneer to match my STs) so even though they are quite large, they don't seem out of place in my Living room. The sound quality is fantastic and very musical.

I am using a Denon 4311 with Audyssey XT32 for the sub EQ.

MukAudio

Re: Salk Custom Rythmik Sub(s) - Happy new Owner
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:21 am »
Wow, gorgeous cabinet.  Did Jim only do the cabinet for you, or did he assemble the whole sub for you?

Mark

Gzerro

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2012, 05:05 am »
Wow, gorgeous cabinet.  Did Jim only do the cabinet for you, or did he assemble the whole sub for you?

Mark

Thank you!

Jim put together the whole sub for me, so it arrived ready to plug in and go. I think he uses a Rythmik driver/amp kit, and in one of Jim's e-mails he mentioned he modeled the cabinet to optimize it for the 15" Rythmik driver. It is a bit larger than the standard Rythmik design.

I also wanted a down-firing design to avoid damage from my big dog and two cats who love to scratch on speaker grills, so he modified it to be down-firing rather than have the driver in front.

morganc

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2012, 07:51 am »
Nice.   I bet that will be amazing when both are set up.   I love the Rythmik subs with the GR Research cones. Enjoy :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2012, 08:00 am »
beautiful.

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2012, 07:22 pm »
Wow that is nice!  Congrats on that beautiful subwoofer.  Dual custom D15SE's should sound amazing!  Do you plan to apply any PEQ using something other than what's built into the sub amp(s)?

Gzerro

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2012, 08:31 pm »
Wow that is nice!  Congrats on that beautiful subwoofer.  Dual custom D15SE's should sound amazing!  Do you plan to apply any PEQ using something other than what's built into the sub amp(s)?

I am hoping to get by with the built in PEQ. I have identified some really good spots that worked with my old subwoofer, so I am hoping the new ones measure out similarly. If not I can use my Denon 4311 Audyssey XT32 on top of that and use the "Bypass L/R". I am not a fan of what Audessey does to my mid-high frequencies, its just too bright for my tastes with the ST RAALS. It measures pretty flat but seems harsh to my ears.

I don't plan to spend much time on it until the 2nd Sub arrives.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2012, 08:48 pm »
Nice.   I bet that will be amazing when both are set up.   I love the Rythmik subs with the GR Research cones. Enjoy :thumb:

Actually our woofers aren't clones. Brian and I worked together to design our woofers. The goal was a lighter weight paper based version that will be cleaner, faster, and offer better resolution levels. Basically our woofers are the audiophile version while the heavier metal cone version is more suited for home theater applications where they will be driven hard or where quality is less of a concern to overall SPL levels.

murphy11

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2012, 09:16 pm »
Hey Danny, which is the heavier HT based woofer and which are the paper ones? I thought all the Rythmik ones were paper, but now I'm not sure of the differences.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2012, 09:24 pm »
Hey Danny, which is the heavier HT based woofer and which are the paper ones? I thought all the Rythmik ones were paper, but now I'm not sure of the differences.

Brian offers my woofers as well: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/GR_drivers.html

Brians observations posted on his site: Driver comparison

The GR drivers use a lower mass paper cone, which has a slightly better transient response. The result is slightly better dynamics. At higher output, due to less cone stiffness, the sound may become softer due to the pressure placed on the cone.

The GR drivers also have a more extended response, allowing a higher crossover point if desired.

Here is his metal cone version: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1200driver.html

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2012, 11:57 pm »
Beautiful sub!!!

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:52 pm »
I am hoping to get by with the built in PEQ. I have identified some really good spots that worked with my old subwoofer, so I am hoping the new ones measure out similarly. If not I can use my Denon 4311 Audyssey XT32 on top of that and use the "Bypass L/R". I am not a fan of what Audessey does to my mid-high frequencies, its just too bright for my tastes with the ST RAALS. It measures pretty flat but seems harsh to my ears.

I don't plan to spend much time on it until the 2nd Sub arrives.
Cool - sounds like a plan.  I agree that Audyssey does some funky stuff above the Schroeder Frequency, and that's why I never use it.  My subs are DIY, and the amps I chose don't have built-in PEQ.  I got a used Behringer 1124p for $50 that works extremely well; I couldn't be happier...well, unless my subs were 18" LMS5400's rather than TC2000 15's. HA!

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:53 pm »
Ahhh...double post - Sorry.  How do you delete a post?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:57 pm »
Ahhh...double post - Sorry.  How do you delete a post?

Previously, posts could be deleted by the poster, but that option has been removed.

Steve

Gzerro

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2012, 06:52 pm »
Cool - sounds like a plan.  I agree that Audyssey does some funky stuff above the Schroeder Frequency, and that's why I never use it.  My subs are DIY, and the amps I chose don't have built-in PEQ.  I got a used Behringer 1124p for $50 that works extremely well; I couldn't be happier...well, unless my subs were 18" LMS5400's rather than TC2000 15's. HA!

Sounds like a nice setup! Ideally I would like to find an EQ solution that would allow me to tweak the mains up to the Schroeder Frequency as well as the Subs. Audessey really tightens things up in the 80Hz-200Hz region in my room, but the compromise of the harsh high end isn't worth it.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2012, 12:50 am »
Am very envious. Still trying to figure out how to sneak in
a 20"x20" sub without the wife noticing. Fat chance !
Tom

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2012, 11:13 am »
Previously, posts could be deleted by the poster, but that option has been removed.

Steve

It has?

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2012, 11:17 am »
Ah, so it has. Probably in a futile attempt to enforce sensible behavior. Must have been a while ago now.

srb

« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:31 pm »
Ah, so it has. Probably in a futile attempt to enforce sensible behavior. Must have been a while ago now.

December 13, 2011
Topic: "Delete Own Post" now disabled
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101466.0

I don't think it had much effect on behavior, as posts are now being edited and replaced with either "Deleted" or ".", whereas previously being able to delete a post visually cleaned up the topic.

Ocassionaly I removed a post because I later decided my comment was better left unsaid, but more often it was because the comment was either not relevant, had previously been said, or was posted in the wrong topic.

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:33 pm »
Oh right. I don't remember what caused that. I'm pretty fed up with the whole thing, frankly. Might as well turn all of it off.

Apologies to Salk folks for the intrusion.