At Eternity's Gate-- van Gogh biography

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
At Eternity's Gate-- van Gogh biography
« on: 21 Apr 2019, 04:49 pm »
Willem Dafoe does his typical masterful, and subtle work as the disturbed painter.  He's a bit old for the role, but you quickly dismiss it and follow the characterization.  Since it tries to show how he sees the world, the movie is slow moving and sensual.  For the most part, I'd call it a successful film.  ***+     
Followed by a couple of lp's of Eric Satie, a couple of glasses of Vouvray,  it makes for a pleasant evening.

Photon46

Re: At Eternity's Gate-- van Gogh biography
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2019, 07:17 pm »
I enjoyed the movie as well, particularly Dafoe's performance. Some of the attempts to portray Vincent's mental states via "creative camera work" were less than convincing, but all in all, an entertaining way to spend time. I have to agree with the reviewer who said: "I'm not sure I can forgive Schnabel (the director) his final scene, however, in which Van Gogh's body lies in state in the middle of his paintings, on which wealthy mourners now bid. Having made his fortune in a different kind of art market, Schnabel really has no place mocking the fickleness of patrons."

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: At Eternity's Gate-- van Gogh biography
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2019, 09:40 pm »
First I've heard of it.

But trying to understand van Gogh or Glenn Gould is impossible.

Gene