Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!
« Reply #280 on: 17 Dec 2010, 05:15 pm »
Hey guys -

Been following this thread since the start and have a question.

I just got my EVS GE yesterday. I have added them to my front three channels
in my HT setup. No downside for me, larger soundstage, tighter bass and better
dimensionality - all right out of the box.

My surround speakers are flush wall mounted. To add a GE to the negative post
I would have to bend the GE itself to accomodate the installation.

Has anyone done this? Does bending the body of the GE cause any negative effects?

I think you'd have to explain what you refer to as bending? Ric has already recommended that you use a piece of string tied to the end of the antenna so to bend the antenna to prevent it from ringing. So if when you say "bending" you actually mean that the antenna is being pressed against the wall, then I see no difference between that and the tension from a piece of string. My front center channel speaker's antenna is actually pressed aganst the video rack so I didn't bother string tying that one back like I have all the others at both my speaker and amp ends.

For anyone who didn't get string with their order, neither did I on my 2nd order of 7 more hooked Enhancers. No biggie for myself as I have tons of lose string lying around but I did mention it to Ric who seemed surprised that he had infact forgotten to add the string to anyone's order. So at least now he knows to look closer..  8)

Gopher, a little late to the parade but if anyone backs out, I too shall take them off your hands for a copy of the Isotek System Enhancer & Rejuvenation Disc. I run the Rejuvenation track each day myself and I do believe it to do as advertised.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #281 on: 17 Dec 2010, 05:18 pm »

I too shall take them off your hands for a copy of the Isotek System Enhancer & Rejuvenation Disc. 
Cheers,
Robin

Certianly you don't mean copy...  That is highly illegal.   :nono:

WilliaBe

« Reply #282 on: 17 Dec 2010, 05:22 pm »
Robin,

I was wondering about issues with the antenna being pressed against the wall behind the speaker and the body of the GE not remaining straight
Sounds like it is a non issue as you have your GE against a video rack.

thanks,
Bill

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #283 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:08 pm »

:nono:   :nono:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #284 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:16 pm »
Robin,

I was wondering about issues with the antenna being pressed against the wall behind the speaker and the body of the GE not remaining straight
Sounds like it is a non issue as you have your GE against a video rack.

thanks,
Bill

I would think anything that prevents them from ringing as being a good thing. If you like what you're hearing (and I happen to do), then it's all good. I happen to love them antennas on my amp/speaker rears when listening to surround music as the presenation is much more balanced than just having them on the mains. But for usual movies/tv DD surround, I personally hear don't hear the improvement that comes with music. But then it's music that I'm primarily concerned about anyways. HT is selfsuffficient and takes care of itself for the most part when it comes to these type of music enhancing tweaks.  :thumb: 

Cheers,
Robin

Gopher

« Reply #285 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:57 pm »
Gopher, a little late to the parade but if anyone backs out, I too shall take them off your hands for a copy of the Isotek System Enhancer & Rejuvenation Disc. I run the Rejuvenation track each day myself and I do believe it to do as advertised.  :thumb:

Would have loved to do it locally but I committed to a west coaster. 

I can't imagine why it would matter, but is there any reason NOT to just rip the flacs and run 'em from Squeezebox.  Lossless is lossless, I imagine and I'm not really setup for CD in my system.  I guess I could run it on my PS3 and send an optical out to my DAC, but thats a PITA.

I ripped my entire CD library to avoid physical media.

If that is a fine solution, I'll probably do as you do and run the rejuv. track daily--whether it makes a difference or not, I may as well as my tubes warm up.   :)

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #286 on: 17 Dec 2010, 07:07 pm »
Would have loved to do it locally but I committed to a west coaster. 

I can't imagine why it would matter, but is there any reason NOT to just rip the flacs and run 'em from Squeezebox.  Lossless is lossless, I imagine and I'm not really setup for CD in my system.  I guess I could run it on my PS3 and send an optical out to my DAC, but thats a PITA.

I ripped my entire CD library to avoid physical media.

If that is a fine solution, I'll probably do as you do and run the rejuv. track daily--whether it makes a difference or not, I may as well as my tubes warm up.   :)

The Isotek I run daily is on HD and I found no differences myself between the HD and my actual Isotek CD,,, other than convenience. I was just thowing my hat in the ring anyways, fwiw.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #287 on: 17 Dec 2010, 10:11 pm »

The Isotek I run daily is on HD and I found no differences myself between the HD and my actual Isotek CD,,, other than convenience. I was just thowing my hat in the ring anyways, fwiw.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin what is thowing, something the Cowgirls do hehehe :nono: :nono:

werd

« Reply #288 on: 17 Dec 2010, 11:42 pm »

copy copy copy.... give me copies, give me lots of copies. Anything you got copy it and i will take .... thanks
 :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #289 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:23 am »
Well, after living with only a single pair of GE's on the woofer negative speaker terminals (seems to be best overall compromise) for about a week I took them off last night and let the system settle back in for 24 hrs without them (noticed when you immediately remove them that there is some perceived harshness, but then again the amps are power cycling).  Tonight's listening session was one of the best, and I'm deciding on living without them.  In my system, with my room, and my ears, they just bring too many artificial artifacts to overcome the few plusses.  It was a fun experiment.  YMMV.

highfilter

« Reply #290 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:48 am »
Here's my experience with them.

Have one on each speaker negative post and one on each negative post on the amp. Well, these things are pretty damn special.

I first tried them just on the speakers, and I noticed greater air and separation right away. Vocals were crystal clear, but possibly too crisp and a little thin. I then ran through some tracks and then put one on each negative post on the amp. Wow, this hit the spot. It seemed to give more ass to my low-end, like really clean bass. The slight brightness seemed to be gone and everything was in more balance now. Still have the awesome separation and air in the instruments. Midrange, mid-bass and low-bass are very solid. Sounds like my SoundScapes can go even deeper now.  :o

Have had the system running over night and when I sat down today for a listening session, it was one of the best I've had. They're keepers.

Seems like the magic really started when putting them on the amps, so I recommend trying the amp and the speakers. I didn't really need to damp them since they were usually up against something anyway, but I did tie one down and never had an issue with ringing. I previously moved my speakers away from the front and side walls, and lost some of my bass impact, but it seems like I got the bass back and more, without even moving the speakers.

I have a few extra so I am going to put them on my surrounds. Great tweak!  :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #291 on: 2 Jan 2011, 02:11 am »
Here's my experience with them.

Have one on each speaker negative post and one on each negative post on the amp. Well, these things are pretty damn special.

I first tried them just on the speakers, and I noticed greater air and separation right away. Vocals were crystal clear, but possibly too crisp and a little thin. I then ran through some tracks and then put one on each negative post on the amp. Wow, this hit the spot. It seemed to give more ass to my low-end, like really clean bass. The slight brightness seemed to be gone and everything was in more balance now. Still have the awesome separation and air in the instruments. Midrange, mid-bass and low-bass are very solid. Sounds like my SoundScapes can go even deeper now.  :o

Have had the system running over night and when I sat down today for a listening session, it was one of the best I've had. They're keepers.

Seems like the magic really started when putting them on the amps, so I recommend trying the amp and the speakers. I didn't really need to damp them since they were usually up against something anyway, but I did tie one down and never had an issue with ringing. I previously moved my speakers away from the front and side walls, and lost some of my bass impact, but it seems like I got the bass back and more, without even moving the speakers.

I have a few extra so I am going to put them on my surrounds. Great tweak!  :thumb:

Question. Do you have your Soundscapes biamped? There seems to be a lot of problems from guys who have tried these while biamping so I'm naturally curious how you have yours connected. Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

highfilter

« Reply #292 on: 2 Jan 2011, 03:01 am »

Question. Do you have your Soundscapes biamped? There seems to be a lot of problems from guys who have tried these while biamping so I'm naturally curious how you have yours connected. Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Nope, not running them biamped. I have the enhancers on the un-used terminals on the speakers.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #293 on: 2 Jan 2011, 03:18 am »
Nope, not running them biamped. I have the enhancers on the un-used terminals on the speakers.

That seems to be the common theme here, single run SC's = magic, mulitple run SC's =  :cuss: .

Glad to hear you're one of the happy ones & with one of the larger loudspeakers at that.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

bacobits1

« Reply #294 on: 3 Jan 2011, 11:33 pm »
I pulled mine over the weekend.
I like what I hear better without them now. It seems like too much of a good thing maybe? There seemed be better instrument separation without them in. My WyWires take care of all else in that area.

I will sell them for $30, 1 pair with loop end.

PM me here.

SOLD!!!!!!!!!! 
To "fasteddie"
also aka >> Dr. JBL

D
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2011, 01:17 am by bacobits1 »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #295 on: 4 Jan 2011, 12:43 am »
I Bought emmmmmmm!!!!!!

Randy

« Reply #296 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:08 am »
I have not read any of the more recent posts on this subject so as to not be biased one way or the other. I received a pair of these before Christmas and attached them to the negative terminals of my speakers, Roman Audio Centurions. I wasn't able to do a lot of critical listening before I left town for two weeks, but I became aware that they seemed to act like a power conditioner, enabling me to enjoy listening,as little as I did, and mostly as background music, in the evening hours when normally my system takes a dive in sound quality because of very dirty electricity here in the hours beginning after around 5:30 P.M. There's never been an adequate explanation for this, but it happens and always has. If during the day it is 10 quality in sound, in the evening it becomes about a 5 and some music, vocal (esp. choral), strings, can become unlistenable. I have tried too many power conditioners to count, including two different PS audio PPPs, a Canadian brand of power regenerator, and many others. None did much good at all. (I even tried battery powered and passive electronic components to no avail.) Now however, after several days of listening, I find that these little things do what those multi thousand dollar units never did. They clean up the sound for me in those evening hours so I can listen with pleasure to any type of music.  Can't explain why, but it's what they do for me.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #297 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:24 am »
I moved mine around today when I setup some new/old speakers and just hung them on the negative speaker terminals at the amp this time around, amazing how within minutes the clarity and soundstage deepen, 3D, holographic, pick your description these suckers work, I'm looking forward to adding the ones bacobits is sending to see what multiples do.  :thumb:

djbnh

« Reply #298 on: 6 Jan 2011, 11:27 am »
Just ordered a couple pairs. Thanks to Robin et al for their respective comments. With new speakers in the house, and the EVS Ground Enhancers to come, looks to be a fun New Year with audio.  :thumb:

watercourse

« Reply #299 on: 7 Jan 2011, 05:03 am »
Been experimenting for the past month or so with 2 pairs of straight GEs and 1 pair of RCAs.
I've ended up with only a straight pair on the negative binding posts of my amp, and an RCA on my sub. This made the sound more liquid, increased the sense of ease, seemed to lower the noise floor (my preamp prior to GEs had a bit of hash), and increased the 3D aspects of the sound. Very, very nice!
Putting more GEs in the path rolled off the highs, made the sound very forward, and sometimes gave a "phasey" quality to the sound (esp. when the RCA was installed on my pre - no bueno). Putting a set of GEs only on the speaker's negative posts also rolled off highs and made the sound more forward.
May end up using the last set on my HT system, if I ever turn off the music!
Wilson