Powering the VMPS

Iraj

Powering the VMPS
« on: 22 Nov 2020, 10:47 pm »
Has anyone opened the Large VMPS subwoofer to install a plate amplifier? I bought one a while ago for my sub, but hesitate because I’m not sure the connections would be easy. Are there any pitfalls or major cautions? Thanks. Iraj

John Casler

Re: Powering the VMPS
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2020, 01:20 am »
Should be a pretty simple direct wire to your plate amp.  :thumb:

rbbert

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2020, 01:16 pm »
Note that Brian was against installing plate amps into his subs, especially the larger ones.  Two reasons:  the plate amp decreases the interior volume, and he thought that would reduce bass response slightly; also, he was concerned about vibration affecting the amp’s sound quality.  I don’t know how valid either of those concerns is in practice.  FWIW I use a plate amp (Dayton makes a couple of good ones) outside the unit on a homemade isolation platform.

Iraj

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2020, 06:07 am »
Thanks to both.  I’ll mount my (Dayton) plate externally.

Cheers.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2020, 08:44 pm »
I know Brian went on record of not recommending plate amplifiers, yet he offered me the choice when I purchased my 215 Subwoofer from him.  I went with the Dayton plate amplifier installed.  I later went the opposite way of removing the plate amplifier and went with an external Dayton Subwoofer amplifier.  For a period of time while I was hunting for a second Dayton external subwoofer amplifier, I used the Dayton plate amplifier externally.  It worked quite well in both configurations.  I only changed as I wanted them both the same as I am using two subwoofers. 

rbbert

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2020, 10:21 pm »
Any one with a Larger Sub should seriously consider vertical (high boy) configuration.  Moving one woofer way off the floor and removing the slot loading noticeably improves the sound IME.