Is my hot water heater about to croak?

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Is my hot water heater about to croak?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Nov 2012, 03:43 am »
Nobody changes anode rods even though it is recommended.  After 8 years the anode might be difficult to remove...

brooklyn

« Reply #21 on: 28 Nov 2012, 05:28 am »
Changing the anode at some point will extend the life of the heater.
It's up to you whether you want to change it of not.

When I lived in NY I replaced my water heater with an AO Smith, I called
the company to fine out about the anode, they made a model with an easy
to replace anode as apposed to the disconnect the water heater method.

I scratched my head the first time I heard it, as well.

Doublej

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jan 2013, 12:56 am »
So it did croak a couple of weeks ago. I went into the basement and saw wet concrete. I called my plumber the following morning and then installed a new one.

saisunil

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:06 am »
I hope you went for a tankless water heater - unlimited hot water - good on the electric bill too

Doublej

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:11 am »
I hope you went for a tankless water heater - unlimited hot water - good on the electric bill too

No it is gas fired and I was told that for tankless I was going to need a wall to mount it on which I don't have.

They replaced it with another AO Smith heater. I would have preferred a Rheem but for some reason they wanted to do the same brand.

Randy

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:19 am »
The estimated life of them is usually 8-12 years (I've had home inspection paid for by realtors with the last two new houses and that's what they estimate), although they can last past 15 years.  I have an expansion tank on top of mine (county requirement) and noticed almost 5 years ago brown spots forming on the outside of the expansion tank when the hot water heater was just over 10 years old.  Due to the relative cost of just redoing the expansion tank vs. the whole thing, I opted to get everything done.

I recently replaced one that was 35 years old.  It died of natural causes.

George3

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:44 am »

My across the street neighbor lost his water heater which was in the middle of a hallway.... Two rooms flooded.  Our homes were built at about the same time, so out I went and bought a tankless water heater. WoW!! Best move I've made since buying my speakers.  My gas bill is down almost half, hot water never runs out and I am done with worrying, flushing and running hoses through the house.