Water seeping in the garage

Doublej

Water seeping in the garage
« on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:12 am »
I have an old circa 1900s dwelling that has an almost as old six bay garage behind it. One of the walls is different than the rest. It appears that whoever constructed this wall just built a frame out of 2x4s and placed it on top of the concrete slab of the garage. Then they put up some sort of sheet rock like material behind it and fastened shingles to it on the outside.

Over time the water has rotted the bottom of this wail to the point now where when there is a moderate amount of rain water seeps into the garage. I think the correct way to fix this would be to dig a trench and put in a proper foundation. The problem is as best I can tell this side of the garage is right up against the property line making this unfeasible.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this, the cheaper the better? It doesn't need to look pretty as the garage is very old and industrial looking with rusted beams and the like.

Big Red Machine

Re: Water seeping in the garage
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:24 am »
If you don't prevent the water from hitting that wall, any change of materials will be futile, even if all pressure-treated.  I would think you could speak with your neighbor and promise to put the terrain back in good shape after your trenching.

Got photos?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:14 am »
What is your location?  Do you get big freezes? 

What is the condition of the slab?  If the slab is in good condition ( no large cracks and not heaved up) I would be sorely tempted to pour a 12 inch or so base on top of the slab ( the base keyed into the slab and caulked in between) and then build the wall  ( or repair it ) on that using a sill plate gasket ...

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:30 am »
What is your location?  Do you get big freezes? 

What is the condition of the slab?  If the slab is in good condition ( no large cracks and not heaved up) I would be sorely tempted to pour a 12 inch or so base on top of the slab ( the base keyed into the slab and caulked in between) and then build the wall  ( or repair it ) on that using a sill plate gasket ...

Boston so we definitely get freezing. I think the slab is in good condition although I have not closely inspected that side at the edge.

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2013, 03:38 am »
Would be interesting to see some pics in order to imagine what words describe.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2013, 03:51 am »
To say nothing of the wall turning to mush and letting the roof sag.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:04 pm »
If the slab is in good condition ( no large cracks and not heaved up) I would be sorely tempted to pour a 12 inch or so base on top of the slab ( the base keyed into the slab and caulked in between) and then build the wall  ( or repair it ) on that using a sill plate gasket ...

This is a quick, relatively easy, and cost effective solution. I had a similar problem with a carport that was incorporated into my house, simply by laying 2x's on the old carport slab then building walls on top. Then someone in their brilliance poured a concrete apron, and added an asphalt walkway right up to the walls. Since permitting in my area is a major pain, I discussed the situation with a good contractor I was lucky to hook up with. They supported the roof, cut away the bottom of the wall studs and removed the old plate which carpenter ants had been working on, then poured a 6x6 stem wall around the perimeter. After reframing and tweaking the siding it appears to be a standard foundation wall, barring educated close inspection. The height of the stem wall will depend on the landscape features adjacent the walls, just make sure it's tall enough to prevent water reaching the sill plate and use a treated plate.

While we only get limited freezes, and rarely enough to cause any heaving, this solution has worked well for 7 years now without any problems.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2013, 03:44 pm »
This is a quick, relatively easy, and cost effective solution. I had a similar problem with a carport that was incorporated into my house, simply by laying 2x's on the old carport slab then building walls on top. Then someone in their brilliance poured a concrete apron, and added an asphalt walkway right up to the walls. Since permitting in my area is a major pain, I discussed the situation with a good contractor I was lucky to hook up with. They supported the roof, cut away the bottom of the wall studs and removed the old plate which carpenter ants had been working on, then poured a 6x6 stem wall around the perimeter. After reframing and tweaking the siding it appears to be a standard foundation wall, barring educated close inspection. The height of the stem wall will depend on the landscape features adjacent the walls, just make sure it's tall enough to prevent water reaching the sill plate and use a treated plate.

While we only get limited freezes, and rarely enough to cause any heaving, this solution has worked well for 7 years now without any problems.

That would be my recommendation as well.  Without access to install a drain+grading this will be the most durable option.