Seas Loki Kit

AudioSoul

Seas Loki Kit
« on: 11 Sep 2008, 06:24 pm »
Has anyone built this kit. I am interested. Would have enough bass for a 12 ft. x 18 ft room. I value midrange claitity.
I will be using them with tube gear......thanks......DK :roll:

SET Man

Re: Seas Loki Kit
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2008, 09:05 pm »
Has anyone built this kit. I am interested. Would have enough bass for a 12 ft. x 18 ft room. I value midrange claitity.
I will be using them with tube gear......thanks......DK :roll:

Hey!

Well, this is really a 2-way driver in my definition and not Single Driver. With xover around 3khz a critical range.

But I have checked this driver out on the web when it first came out.  And it could be the next best thing to the real SD speaker.

If I had money, time, and wood workshop. I will be very tempted to make a t-line/TQWT cab for this driver. :D

As for your room. I think they should perform fine with tube amp but I will say with power of 30+w/ch is a good start. Of course this also depend on your type of music and how loud you like to listen to music.

But than again if you really value midrange especially with female vocal you should try to hear a pair of Single Driver speaker done right. :wink:

I'm not an expert on speaker building so I'm sure others will fill in on this.

Anyway, good luck. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2008, 09:56 pm »
Madisound, I thought, still had cabinets for these. In fact, I thought they had the whole kit, including cross-over...everything to make a pair for around $500. I love the sound of SEAS and I sure have been tempted. I would match them up with my Van Alstine U70 tube amp.

Wayner

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2008, 10:00 pm »
Madisound, I thought, still had cabinets for these. In fact, I thought they had the whole kit, including cross-over...everything to make a pair for around $500. I love the sound of SEAS and I sure have been tempted. I would match them up with my Van Alstine U70 tube amp.

Wayner

Hey!

Yes, they still do have them.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_40_402_275

Well, actually look more like $600/pr. Looks good. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2008, 10:07 pm »

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2008, 06:02 am »
I was planning to do a commercial system based on this driver, but then the Madisound Loki came out and it is priced much better than what I could do. 

You can see my prototypes here, flanking the big speakers, from the 2007 Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas.  Turn one of the little speakers on its side and voila! a matching center channel (actually, that's what's in my HT system right now).  Photo by Albert Porter of Postive Feedback.

That's a one cubic foot Parts Express box, ported in the rear, tuned to about 36 Hz or so.

I think Ascenco uses this coaxial driver in some of their lower priced models.

The unit is not without limitations - it only has 3 mm of one-way x-max, and can get congested when the music gets loud and complex.  But then so can a similar-sized fullrange driver.

In my opinion, the shielded magnet version has a bit better tonal balance with the stock Madisound crossover. 

Duke

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2008, 07:16 am »
That's a one cubic foot Parts Express box

Did you brace the box up?

dave

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2008, 05:27 pm »
Dave,

Nope, just applied some acoustic treatement to the inner walls.

What would you have suggested?

Duke

Ed Schilling

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2008, 10:27 pm »
I built a "proper" TL with this driver. I used "some" of the parts of the factory (Madisound) x over. I called it the PSTL (Point Source Transmission Line).

They were very nice, still are. My buddy Henry has them. My biggest gripe was the size.....and weight.

Since this is a coaxial driver a TL was a valid loading scheme.  I didn't try them in a box either with or without a hole.

I like the driver a lot and it will make a nice speaker.....a better idea than many "true FR drivers" of that size. Heresy, I know.

It was not an efficient device nor able to peel paint from walls.....but with enough power, went "loud enough" with low audible distortion.

Another "thumbs up" for the driver if not for the system (since I haven't heard it).
Ed