Show Us Your Core-NCore!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #220 on: 5 Aug 2012, 02:56 pm »
Nice.

No main power switch?  They will be powered 24/7? 

Yes, your sub amp by the way, is on 24/7. It gives a 'thump' everytime I turn it on which is clearly because they didn't implement a longer delay in the protection circuit. The nCore by comparison is benign and just sucks a little juice.

We'll see how long I can last without a power switch!

Best,
Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #221 on: 5 Aug 2012, 03:01 pm »
Yes, your sub amp by the way, is on 24/7. It gives a 'thump' everytime I turn it on which is clearly because they didn't implement a longer delay in the protection circuit. The nCore by comparison is benign and just sucks a little juice.

We'll see how long I can last without a power switch!

Best,
Anand.
You're much braver then me!

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #222 on: 5 Aug 2012, 03:04 pm »
You're much braver then me!

Or dummer! I'm just relying on that poor fuse to save me! Seriously though if I ever sell the amps, I can easily implement a button power switch on the rear right side that should be nearly invisible.

Anand.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #223 on: 5 Aug 2012, 04:59 pm »
Anand,
IMO your simple routing of the mains around the far side is brilliant.  I'd follow this plan if I were re-doing it.

My understanding is the hottest Ncore component is a PS cap.  As mentioned earlier, my dual-monitor ambiance array requires each mono bloc to site on any narrow panel, either:

A. Face down, or
B. Either side panel down

The former flows PS heat vertically upward through the amp module, whilst the latter radiates only lateral (indirect) heat to the amp module.  To what extent, if at all, do you recommend the latter vs. the former? 

Thanks! 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #224 on: 5 Aug 2012, 07:39 pm »
Anand,
IMO your simple routing of the mains around the far side is brilliant.  I'd follow this plan if I were re-doing it.

My understanding is the hottest Ncore component is a PS cap.  As mentioned earlier, my dual-monitor ambiance array requires each mono bloc to site on any narrow panel, either:

A. Face down, or
B. Either side panel down

The former flows PS heat vertically upward through the amp module, whilst the latter radiates only lateral (indirect) heat to the amp module.  To what extent, if at all, do you recommend the latter vs. the former? 

Thanks! 

Honestly, I recommend whatever is easiest for you to implement in your situation. The heat production is small and mostly from the PS as you state. With vent holes, even that becomes a non issue IMHO. Remember, heat rises. I implemented the vent holes as shown for only one reason: Looks.

Best,

Anand.

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #225 on: 6 Aug 2012, 08:13 am »
One Monoblock done...one to go.

I am sure the components used are pretty obvious by the pictures. Cardas CPBP copper binding posts, Jena Labs output wiring, Neutrik XLR (gold if you must know), Furutech IEC (gold again), CKK SPDT toggle switch (for nAmpON)

Whoa, great looking amp. Congratulations. BTW, pardon my ignorance; what is that round thingy besides the balanced input?

TrungT

« Reply #226 on: 6 Aug 2012, 08:31 am »
^^^^^
"Cardas CPBP copper binding posts"

poseidonsvoice

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #228 on: 8 Aug 2012, 01:50 am »
2nd monoblock done.

Time for testing, checking dc offset, etc...

Best,
Anand.

mgalusha

« Reply #229 on: 8 Aug 2012, 01:56 am »
Looking very nice Anand, now go listen!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #230 on: 8 Aug 2012, 01:59 am »

jhm731

« Reply #231 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:36 am »
Anand-

Just wondering why you didn't mount the Cardas binding posts vertically like this low profile Ayre mono amp:

Seems like it puts less stress on your speaker cables.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #232 on: 8 Aug 2012, 03:33 am »
Anand-

Just wondering why you didn't mount the Cardas binding posts vertically like this low profile Ayre mono amp:

Seems like it puts less stress on your speaker cables.

1)I use footers under all of my amps.

2)I've never had a stress issue you describe even with 10 gauge cables.

3)I don't see why this is specific to Cardas CPBP posts ie shouldn't others mount their non Cardas CPBP posts as you describe? I don't see that the great majority do. But anyway, the reason I chose these posts was not the sound but because of the profound clamping mechanism.

4)I think the horizontal orientation looks better to my eyes.

5) I have plenty of rear shelf space.

6) See my gallery for other designs using these posts, never have had an issue although those other designs were heavier.

7) I like to hide my cables behind my amps.

How is your build coming along?

Best,

Anand.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #233 on: 8 Aug 2012, 05:17 am »
For Trinaural music system: tonight I finished three Ncore, three RCA-to-XLR interconnects, three new mains cables, and three speaker cables (Ambiance/Mode Cancelling Array, two 8 Ohm monitors per channel wired in series for 16 Ohms).  So many new parts I should have avoided any snap judgements.  Sound wise, the first forty five minutes I was not a happy camper, cloudy, congested, smoky, not so good.  It got smoother and much more dimensional.  Been on now for about three hours and already sounding pretty good to very good.  I'll play music at moderate low level all night and listen again tomorrow. 

jhm731

« Reply #234 on: 8 Aug 2012, 06:24 am »
Anand,

Thanks for your reply.

Your point #6, is what concerns me. Light weight amps with heavy stiff speaker cables seems like a potential problem.

The amps I'm currently interested in- Ayre & Aesthetix both mount the
single knob Cardas binding posts vertically.

I'm not going to invest in a NCore build until I have a chance to compare them to
the Ayre monos and Aesthetix Atlas Signature amps.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #235 on: 8 Aug 2012, 10:28 am »
Anand,

Thanks for your reply.

Your point #6, is what concerns me. Light weight amps with heavy stiff speaker cables seems like a potential problem.

The amps I'm currently interested in- Ayre & Aesthetix both mount the
single knob Cardas binding posts vertically.

I'm not going to invest in a NCore build until I have a chance to compare them to
the Ayre monos and Aesthetix Atlas Signature amps.

Indeed, discussions regarding this are a moot point if the NCore is not to your liking sonically.

In any case, there are ways around your conundrum, heavier chassis, etc...there is no reason to use this model of the Silicon Ray chassis, there are other options.

I have done both vertical and horizontal orientations, and it doesn't phase me to make a difference. Vertically, the cable still has to bend somewhat acutely just like in the horizontal method, as long as the amps are on a shelf. If they are not on a shelf, or on the floor, the vertical orientation can be easier. All the thicker cables I have had have been flexible, and I consider Reality Cables flexible as well, although others consider it stiff.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2012, 12:08 am by poseidonsvoice »

mjock3

« Reply #236 on: 8 Aug 2012, 05:14 pm »
Anand,

Beautiful work as always. Hope you are enjoying them.  :thumb:

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #237 on: 8 Aug 2012, 05:25 pm »
My wife has a better ear than me, and is much more critical.  As of this moment, she absolutely loves Ncore performance, mentioning it brings her back to the effect decades ago with VTL Compact 100s (we owned likely the first pair ever in the USA...she has consistently compared everything since then to that sound effect).

If these are not my favorite all time amps, I can't identify anything I like better.  ASAP I'll post system details. 

You'd have to be deaf to say Ncore (and all associated new wiring: mains, input, speaker) did not improve dramatically since I first started listening to it last night.  For the first 30-45 minutes I felt some severely dreaded buyer's remorse! 

A solo piano SACD (Sony) was positively scary it was so realistic.   

Phil

« Reply #238 on: 12 Aug 2012, 09:31 pm »
This is not DIY, rather it is SEDI (someone else did it - thank you, Mike).

Very nice workmanship.  Review of the sound to follow.

drubin

« Reply #239 on: 12 Aug 2012, 09:38 pm »
Very nice.  What's the Audio Magic box?