Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!

A_shah

Re: Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!
« Reply #120 on: 24 Oct 2019, 07:43 am »
There are at least 2 more reasonable options; all (including the Oppomods) apparently install in a few minutes with only a screwdriver

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848804463.html $203

https://amazon.com/dp/B07GR32PK5/?coliid=I57CCI9QU5ZVB&colid=3387F83SCP18Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Nobsound Pure Handmade Built-in Linear Power Supply Board for Oppo UDP203/205 Modified Upgrade (UDP-205 High-end Digital & Analog Output)  $318

-This series of linear power supply is specially designed for OPPO UDP-203/205 Modify to Upgrade the Picture and Sound Quality.
-UDP-205 high-end digital&Analog output version is more expensive because of German SEDLBAUER( Swiss FM Brand) ring transformer which makes sound more natural and air more delicate.
-Using high-quality low-noise sealed ring transformer;
-With modular OP+MOS ultra-low noise DC stablized voltage circuit; With High-end Rubycon electrolysis, WIMA capacitor and VISHAY diode
-Swiss Schurter gold-plated fuse; Freely equipped with Teflon input and output connection wire and a screw driver

This is an interesting option , I would have gone for modwirght Mods but have a PS audioDirectstream DAC and use the OPPO only as transport most of the time  I also use it via it's analog output as a 5.1  channel HT system with seperate speakers Subwoofer and separate Wyred4sound MC 7150 ( very sweet sounding unit ) , I am wondering if this $ 318 Nobosound  LPS would make any significant difference ? has anybody used this Mod ?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #121 on: 24 Oct 2019, 04:49 pm »
There are at least 2 more reasonable options; all (including the Oppomods) apparently install in a few minutes with only a screwdriver

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848804463.html $203

https://amazon.com/dp/B07GR32PK5/?coliid=I57CCI9QU5ZVB&colid=3387F83SCP18Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Nobsound Pure Handmade Built-in Linear Power Supply Board for Oppo UDP203/205 Modified Upgrade (UDP-205 High-end Digital & Analog Output)  $318

-This series of linear power supply is specially designed for OPPO UDP-203/205 Modify to Upgrade the Picture and Sound Quality.
-UDP-205 high-end digital&Analog output version is more expensive because of German SEDLBAUER( Swiss FM Brand) ring transformer which makes sound more natural and air more delicate.
-Using high-quality low-noise sealed ring transformer;
-With modular OP+MOS ultra-low noise DC stablized voltage circuit; With High-end Rubycon electrolysis, WIMA capacitor and VISHAY diode
-Swiss Schurter gold-plated fuse; Freely equipped with Teflon input and output connection wire and a screw driver
Interesting info.

Has Dan ever made any comments about these various options?

I'm curious as to how much benefit you get from any of these. I can understand the benefit for the Video and if you used the digital output Audio, but if you use the Analog output, how much would be gained?

Still thinking about it if it really helps the Video. Love the image I get with the 205. If it can get better  :drool:

modwright

« Reply #122 on: 24 Oct 2019, 06:43 pm »
I have not heard all of the different LPS's. A LPS produces less HF noise and is preferable.

Thanks,

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #123 on: 28 Nov 2019, 03:15 pm »
Where should the Audio Magic Pulse Gen be placed when a LPS replaces the stock power supply board?

rbbert

« Reply #124 on: 28 Nov 2019, 03:29 pm »
Still thinking about it if it really helps the Video. Love the image I get with the 205. If it can get better  :drool:

I have a stock 205 I use for video, with a LPS, and can assure you the video is improved, noticeably but not by a huge amount.

modwright

« Reply #125 on: 1 Dec 2019, 01:30 am »
I would still install it at the AC mains. It will kill all RFI/EMI noise generated inside the player. The SMPS is one source of course, but there are plenty of noisy video/processor chips adding their own contribution of noise too!

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #126 on: 5 Dec 2019, 04:25 am »
Due to having to solder the Audio Magic leads this installation was a tad more complicated than in my stock 205 but all went well.  There is a bit less "glare" to the sound, something I didn't notice until it was (is) gone.  My early impressions are that the LPS makes a more obvious difference for video than for audio, but still worthwhile even for audio only. 

Rock Ball

« Reply #127 on: 12 Jan 2020, 02:01 am »
I got my Oppo UDP-205 mod from Dan in September 2019.  I had my 205 since it was first released, so I was very familiar with the stock sound.  I was very happy with the improvement in the sound quality after the mod and am glad that I had it done.  I received great service from Modwright Instruments.

I used the mod with the tubes supplied by Modwright for two months before I ordered better tubes from Andy at Vintage Tube Service.  It now sounds even better.  I like that I can experiment with different types of tubes if I want to change things up.

The thing I love about the Oppo UDP-205 is that it plays native DSD512 and DXD files, which sound super smooth with the mod.

modwright

« Reply #128 on: 28 Jan 2020, 08:50 pm »
Thank you for the feedback!

Dan Wright

geoffny

« Reply #129 on: 21 Jul 2020, 12:49 pm »
Hello, I am geoffny, introducing myself as I am interested in the ModWright  upgrade for the Oppo 105d.  I see a lot of good information here and look forward to learning.  Thankn you.

geoffny

« Reply #130 on: 21 Jul 2020, 12:51 pm »
I understand that this mod is no longer being performed by ModWright, but they say I may get lucky and find one among the membership.  If anyone knows of one, please pass along the info.  Thanks!!

geoffny

« Reply #131 on: 21 Jul 2020, 12:54 pm »
Also, if anyone has experience / good info on tube rolling that would be appreciated.  I understand that the Gold Lion and some Russian made tubes are supposed to really make a difference.  I am anxious to check it out.

Rock Ball

« Reply #132 on: 29 Sep 2020, 12:41 pm »
I currently have a NUC running Roon ROCK connected directly to my Oppo UDP-205 Mod via a nice quality USB cable.  The USB cable is plugged into the NUC's USB 3.0 port.  All of my audio gear is powered from a PS Audio P12 PowerPlant.

I want to move my NUC into an equipment rack that contains my NAS and a UPS.  The ethernet connection from my equipment rack to my audio gear is optically isolated.

What is the best way to galvanically isolate the USB connection from my NUC to my Oppo?  The solution must support the capability to play DSD512 and DXD files.

Rock Ball

« Reply #133 on: 16 Dec 2021, 01:44 pm »
Currently, I connect my Oppo UDP-205 Mod directly to mono block amps and subwoofer amps using the RCA connections.  For each channel, I split the RCA connection from the Oppo to feed both the mono block amps and the subwoofer amps.

The Oppo has both XLR and RCA analog outputs.  My mono block amps have both XLR and RCA inputs.  My subwoofer amp has only RCA inputs.  I would like to connect the Oppo XLR to the mono block amp and the Oppo RCA to the subwoofer amp.

Will using both XLR and RCA outputs on the Oppo at the same time damage anything?

modwright

« Reply #134 on: 16 Dec 2021, 06:05 pm »
Because they are essentially wired in parallel, this will work.

Note however, that when you connect the RCA outs, you are grounding pin 3 of the XLR out, making it also, single ended. As long as the amps don't have an issue, then no problem.

Thanks,

Dan

mjalazard

« Reply #135 on: 5 Dec 2022, 11:13 pm »
What is the rating on the small fuse in the ModWright Oppo power supply
I have old man eyes!
Thanks
Mike

mjalazard

« Reply #136 on: 5 Dec 2022, 11:19 pm »
Never mind,,,I found the ratings on the back of the unit.  D'Oh!