641 questions

titch

641 questions
« on: 30 Oct 2006, 08:59 pm »
Hello guys. :)

Got acouple questions and was wondering if you could help me out.

I got the kit641 and I wanna know how much fiberfill I should be putting in it? It came with a 1lb bag.

The other question is. Im running the 641's with a panny xr55 and I wanna know if I can put in like a 2ohm resistor to bring it down to 6ohms, so that I can give more power to the speakers.

thx

Kevin Haskins

• http://www.diycable.com
Re: 641 questions
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2006, 10:10 pm »
Hello guys. :)

Got acouple questions and was wondering if you could help me out.

I got the kit641 and I wanna know how much fiberfill I should be putting in it? It came with a 1lb bag.

The other question is. Im running the 641's with a panny xr55 and I wanna know if I can put in like a 2ohm resistor to bring it down to 6ohms, so that I can give more power to the speakers.

thx

Each loudspeaker gets 8oz. of fill.   It doesn't need to be exactly 8oz, just divide the bag of fill in half and you should be good.   

There are a couple problems with adding a resistor.   First, even if we assume the loudspeaker is a resistive 8 ohm load (not the case) a 2 ohm resistor in parallel would give you a 1.6 Ohm total load.   Second, all you would accomplish by adding a resistor would be to burn off any additional output of the amplifier as heat, not acoustic energy.    Yes your amp would see a lower impedance and deliver more power but not in any meaningful way.   You would just be warming up your room rather than making more sound.  Your amplifier would also likely be running at higher distortion numbers, go into clipping earlier and in general, sound worse.   

titch

Re: 641 questions
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2006, 11:27 pm »
thx for the reply

Easy enough for the fill thats for sure. :)

As for the reciever, its rated 100 Watt @ 6 ohm, 1 kHz, THD: 0.9% so I thought I would see if I could do what its rated for. Oh well thats fine. Thanks for all the help.

peace