Absolute Power Corrupts

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
Absolute Power Corrupts
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2005, 04:03 pm »
Quote from: Ray Bronk
Hi Dan and Kevin,

One question: On the outpups do you have the current problem/safety factor like you do on some of these Class D amps like the BNO amps?

Ray

Ray,

Not sure what the problems you reference for the B&O units are...  The Hypex ones are pretty beefy, though, they don't seem to have too much of an issue with nearly any abuse you can give them!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

bald

Absolute Power Corrupts
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2005, 12:47 am »
I saw some details about a Ucd700 module. Any more info than is listed here - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-58099.html -  and will diycable/adire carry them?

I assume with the naming convention that this will be 700w into 4 ohms, safe guess for 350w into 8?

bald

guest1632

Re: Absolute Power Corrupts
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2005, 02:26 am »
Quote from: Kevin P
Sure...    your probably right that the cost of two chassis and supplies significantly changes the price.   Our 2-channel UCD180 uses a 500VA transformer with dual 30V secondaries.   We use 10,000uF per rail using the Panasonic TSU caps.    We bypass them with small 1.0uF Clarity Caps and use a dual rectifier bridge.

Hi Kevin, I asked Dusty at CI about the differences in the two amps, and he commented that in the 200 watter, there was a 2nd set of windings for the high voltage rails, and that it wasn't needed for the 100 watter. So on the 400W do you have to do the same? Also, did you try different forms of rectification, like the "soft"? diodes, or the "fast"? diodes? Instead of the dual bridge, I wonder if there would be any sonic bennys to having a discrete bridge? It would be interesting in getting some opinions. Also, are these amps ready now? One last: From a power and dynamics standpoint, would a larger supply, say overkill like the 400W supply make any difference? Thanks for your time.

Ray

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2005, 04:58 pm »
Hi Kevin, I asked Dusty at CI about the differences in the two amps, and he commented that in the 200 watter, there was a 2nd set of windings for the high voltage rails, and that it wasn't needed for the 100 watter. So on the 400W do you have to do the same? Also, did you try different forms of rectification, like the "soft"? diodes, or the "fast"? diodes? Instead of the dual bridge, I wonder if there would be any sonic bennys to having a discrete bridge? It would be interesting in getting some opinions. Al ...

I think Dusty is refering to detail on the UCD module because both the UCD180 & UCD400s use the same type of external power supply changing only in capacity.  We don't modify the modules.   They don't need modifying in my opinion.

We also don't have a soft diode option at the moment.   I stick with what I know works and while I've tried discrete diode bridges with other amps I've never experienced that much difference between the "soft" switching, fast switching and a standard diode bridge.   I don't believe in adding things that drive up cost unless they have proven to add some sort of audible benefit.

guest1632

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2005, 01:59 am »
Quote from: Kevin P
I think Dusty is refering to detail on the UCD module because both the UCD180 & UCD400s use the same type of external power supply changing only in capacity.  We don't modify the modules.   They don't need modifying in my opinion.

We also don't have a soft diode option at the moment.   I stick with what I know works and while I've tried discrete diode bridges with other amps I've never experienced that much difference between the "soft" switching, fast switching and a standard diode bridge.  

Hi Kevin, So you are using the same transformer for both supplies, the 180w and 400w? what size caps are you using for the higher wattage amp?

Do these amps suffer from the same safety problem that the B&O modules do? The binding posts have to be insolated because if you just happen to touch both of them at the same time, you will come away with a shocking experience.

Are these amps available to buy now? You gonna use the same case for multiple amps as you would for just 2 channels?

Ray

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2005, 03:59 pm »
Hi Kevin, So you are using the same transformer for both supplies, the 180w and 400w? what size caps are you using for the higher wattage amp?

No... as you go up in power and/or channels driven you increase the power supply requirement.   We use a larger transformer for the UCD400 vs. UCD180.   We also increase capacitance per channel.    We use roughly 5,000uF per rail per channel on the UCD180s and we use roughly 10,000uF per rail per channel on the UCD400 installs.

Do these amps suffer from the same safety problem that the B&O modules do? The binding posts have to be insolated because if you just happen to touch both of them at the same time, you will come away with a shocking experience.

No... they are no different than any traditional Class A/B amplifier.   We are using the Exodus insulated binding post now but not due to any shock danger.  

Are these amps available to buy now? You gonna use the same case for multiple amps as you would for just 2 channels?

Ray

Yes... we custom build every one so there is a 4-5 week delay depending upon vendors, etc.. but we are taking orders now.   We use the same chassis in all products.   It is a standard 2U dimension so it fits pretty much any install.