Anybody seen The Joker ?

stlrman

Anybody seen The Joker ?
« on: 9 Oct 2019, 09:58 pm »
I’m really looking forward to this movie !!, as I’m a big JP fan .
He is a stupendous actor !!!
It has 90% audience on RT.
I’m not sure if  I will see it on the big screen . I hope to .

displayname

Re: Anybody seen The Joker ?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2019, 10:24 pm »
I haven’t decided when I’m going yet, but I absolutely plan to see this in theater!

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2019, 11:06 pm »
We're going this weekend. The King of Comedy is one of my gf's favorite movies, Taxi Driver is one of mine and we love Joaquin so we were sold on it immediately.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2019, 01:33 am »
I watched it Saturday. Joaquin is great. He tries to be "normal", and it's almost unsettling to watch. As the movie progresses, so does the unease, until the Joker discovers his purpose. The movie does a good job explaining how the Joker ends up the way he is. It isn't easy to watch, and the violence is raw and unflinching. The Marvel series of movies I can watch over and over. I don't think I'll watch this one again. It's too unsettling for me personally. But I'm glad I watched it.  It is about the Joker, afterall...

Joemamma

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2019, 02:45 am »
Great movie!!! I agree, not one that I would want to watch again.  He can’t  be the real joker can he???  Unless...I’m not going to say anymore.  Check it out. 

MttBsh

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2019, 03:24 am »
I used to watch the corny Batman TV series back in the 60s, where the Joker was a goofy bad guy as was the Penguin, Catwoman, etc. but I don't understand turning the Joker into some kind of demonic, insane killer and the fascination it seems to breed. Didn't we already have one lunatic calling himself the Joker and dressed the part shoot up a movie theater in Aurora Colorado? Does the Joker character really need to be explored and developed at deeper levels? I'm pretty sure the creators of the original Batman series would be appalled.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2019, 02:21 am »
The best 'comic book' origin story IMO. Joaquin will get another oscar nom. As my gf said Joker is Wicked meets King of Comedy meets Taxi Driver meets Dark Knight.

Amazingly, I still think Todd Phillips sucks as a director. But the cast and score and concept is so strong he couldn't F it up.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2019, 02:49 am »
Saw it this evening. Exceptional acting by Joaquin Phoenix. Probably can’t see it again soon because it is dark, and very honest with regards to mental health issues.

Best,
Anand.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2019, 02:51 am »
Dark and depressing but good movie.  Joaquin acting was superb.  However in my opinion the Heath Ledger version was a better joker.  Kind of like comparing Forest Gump (retarded and talented) and Simple Jack (just retarded).  Heath Joker (crazy and genius) vs. Joaquin Joker (just crazy).  That said a second movie with Joaquin Joker could evolve into something very interesting if done right.

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2019, 06:28 am »
Dark and depressing but good movie.  Joaquin acting was superb.  However in my opinion the Heath Ledger version was a better joker.  Kind of like comparing Forest Gump (retarded and talented) and Simple Jack (just retarded).  Heath Joker (crazy and genius) vs. Joaquin Joker (just crazy).  That said a second movie with Joaquin Joker could evolve into something very interesting if done right.

Complete opposite take for me. Joaquin makes the Joker a fully fleshed out character, the most fully rounded version on screen I've seen. Tackling the mental health aspect was smart. Ledger's Joker served only as a representation of an idea - something that Christopher Nolan loves to do in his movies. Bane was the same. Ras Al Ghoul. Inception... They even say it over and over in The Dark Knight. Ledger's Joker was a cerebral exercise in anarchy. It's easy to see it as genius because the character had zero moral or even human grounding. He was just a catalyst, not a character. Great actor, but I think Ledger's passing at the time made the performance more than it was. Then again, the only thing I liked about the Dark was the score and the action set pieces. Everything else was like sitting through an Ethics and Philosophy class in college.

That said, it's hard for me to be objective about Joker because it draws so heavily on two great movies I love, Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. Travis Bickle (TD) wasn't Simple JAck, he was a vet with some serious mental issues. Same with Rupert (KoC). A very human guy who just wasn't wired a 100% with everyone else. Both roles of course played by... Robert DeNiro. In fact, both Dark Knight and Joker draw heavily on movies starring DeNiro (Dark Knight = Heat).

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2019, 09:09 am »
I really enjoyed this film and Joaquin Phoenix is just amazing, I love the way he makes every character he plays believable.

In the past I saw Joker as a crazy baddy, but after this film I know more about the back story to how he is the way he is and I almost feel sorry for him as he is a product of his environment.

dukesir

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2019, 09:37 am »
I went to watch it yesterday and came out with mixed feelings. The story was a bit too heavy for me but the acting from Joaquin was really exceptional.

Woodsea

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2019, 01:25 pm »
I have told many people this past week that the movie is very dark and disturbingly violent.  That said Mr. Phoenix transformed himself again and made this Joker his own.  Three other actors did their own version that I found highly entertaining that I will want to watch again...Mr. Ledger, Nicholson, and Gotham's Mr. Monagham. 
The Joker has evolved from my 60's camp TV show into a rawboned dark humored attention seeking wannabe hero...er killer.

Bemopti123

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2019, 01:02 am »
Hi, while not movie critic here the non easiness that comes across as you watch it, tells about the uncanny quality that comes from the writing and the performance of JP.  Some of the violent scenes left me staggering and yet, it is strange, to feel an understanding of how someone can be pushed to the deep end of things.  While other superhero or antihero movies ride in some superficial blingy action scenes, Joker here, really builds a emotional/mental profile of someone twisted.  At my age, I tend to fall asleep in the darkness of the theater but with Joker, I was at the end of my seat.  More than just a movie, the performance and the script of the movie made it seem more like a novel rather than a movie.  The best I have seen in a long while at the movies.   :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2019, 01:21 am »
I think it's strange people think the movie is so violent. The violence is nothing compared to the bajillion horror and action movies released every year. There are only 2 or 3 violent scenes in the movie, and all pretty short and only one comes close to being graphic, but not quite. I consider the Dark Knight more violent than Joker.

Bemopti123

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2019, 01:41 am »
I took my children to watch it.  My son who is a 9th grader appreciated the depth and characterization of Joker and when we called one of this classmates to go watch it, the mom said she was 'scared' something were to happen at the movie.  People are disturbed by the topics breached in Joker.