Magnepan Home Theater Speaker Reviews

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2011, 01:59 am by SteveFord »

globalkiwi

Re: Magnepan Home Theater Speaker Reviews
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:37 pm »
Unfortunately, many of these links produce only page not found errors...  :?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2011, 11:42 pm »
Looks like 3 or 4 dead links. 
I'll have to clean it up when I have some free time which isn't this evening.

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2011, 02:23 am »
Steve,
I posted this the other day.
http://widescreenreview.com/158magnepan.pdf
steve

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2011, 09:46 am »
Thanks, that looks like a good review. 
I stuck it in with the stereo speakers section and will give it a read after work.  The IT guys have flagged this site and banned it to keep my nose to the grindstone.

globalkiwi

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2011, 09:40 pm »
Sorry Steve - didn't mean to create more work, just that I clicked expectantly on several of those links only to be disappointed.

FWIW, I posted a link to the widescreen review over on the Planar Asylum  several days ago but it was deleted as the mod there believed the article remains copyrighted ...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2011, 11:23 pm »
I'd rather know about dead links than not.
I'm just doing a lot of OT at work the past few weeks which is both good for the bills and bad for my play time.
I work for the gubbernment and they only have two modes:
No overtime, save money!!!
which then leads to
OH MY GOD, how did this happen, overtime needed!!!

steve k

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2011, 11:35 pm »
Sorry Steve. I saw it on AA and thought it would be of interest here. Didn't realize it might be a no no.
steve

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2011, 09:42 am »
Steve k,
There's nothing wrong with posting links.
Back to work for me.  I'm sure glad the weekend is just about here.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:24 am »
It looks like I've got the dead links out of this section (for now, at least).
If you find any more, please let me know and by all means, links to other reviews would be great.

I just finished reading that article that steve k posted and it's really a good one. 
Next weekend I need to make the time and try that DWM with my MMGs. 

hifitommy

hp's review in tas
« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm »
i am not sure which issue but harry did a mini review on an all maggie surround setup and raved that if immersion is what youre after, thats the way to go. 

i have also been privy to an all martin logan setup that i got a dealer to arrange.  definitely worth considering as well.  my doctor friend who the demo was for turned to me seconds into a john williams guiter piece and said "you don't usually hear that sound unless youre holding the guitar!".

ajzepp

Re: hp's review in tas
« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:39 am »
i am not sure which issue but harry did a mini review on an all maggie surround setup and raved that if immersion is what youre after, thats the way to go. 

I've probably already said this on this forum before, but the first time I read the HT info on the official Magnepan site written by Jim Winey, I honestly thought it was marketing bologna. People were telling me that Maggies just weren't HT speakers and that I should look elsewhere. Thank GOD I took the time to find out for myself. Magnepans not only offer the most amazing HT experience I've ever had, the fact that I can use the most inexpensive speakers in their line (MMG-W) for surrounds and get a wonderful blend and, to use your word, immersion with my 3.6 mains, is something I've always been excited about. If I were more into MC music, I'd have MC-1s back there, but for great surround sound with movies the on-wall MMG-Ws are all I need. I get a very deep, immersive 360 sound field that just brings the movie alive and allows you to feel much more connected to it.

AvsFan

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2019, 04:48 am »
Well count me in on the Maggie’s sounding great in a home theater system. I just watched Thor with my new LRS’s and it sounded great!

kmmd

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2019, 06:54 am »
Holy 7.5 + year old thread revival!

I do agree that a Maggie HT system is pretty amazing.  With 7 Maggie’s, 3 subs and 6 amps all controlled by a Theta Casablanca IVa and D3 Xtreme DAC card, I am blown away.  :green:

Ken

AvsFan

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jun 2020, 08:00 pm »
Holy 7.5 + year old thread revival!

I do agree that a Maggie HT system is pretty amazing.  With 7 Maggie’s, 3 subs and 6 amps all controlled by a Theta Casablanca IVa and D3 Xtreme DAC card, I am blown away.  :green:

Ken

What do you have your Maggie's set at? Large, small and what are they crossed over at?

AvsFan

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2020, 04:44 am »
Anyone using Maggie's anymore in their theater?
I'm loving my LRS's in the theater.

kmmd

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2020, 07:31 am »
What do you have your Maggie's set at? Large, small and what are they crossed over at?

Sorry I didn’t see your question.  My Theta CB IVa has my fronts set to Full, center Full, and surrounds crossed over at 80Hz.  Please keep in mind that I’m running stereo subs, and my tri-center setup also has a sub.

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2020, 02:22 pm »
Anyone using Maggie's anymore in their theater?
I'm loving my LRS's in the theater.

My LRS pull double duty for 2ch and HT.  In both cases I cross them over at 80hz to a sub.  Sounds great!  :thumb:

AvsFan

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jul 2020, 12:31 am »
My LRS pull double duty for 2ch and HT.  In both cases I cross them over at 80hz to a sub.  Sounds great!  :thumb:

Yeah, that's awesome to hear! I am very happy with the LRS's in my theater room. Crossed at 80hz and set to small, my Pioneer has no problems powering them to very loud levels. The dual subs in my theater fill in the low end.

What subs are you running?

AvsFan

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jul 2020, 12:33 am »

And I might add that two channel sounds spectacular in there as well. Not as good as with my higher end two channel electronics but still pretty darn good.