Need new dishwasher/recommendations

AllanS

Re: Need new dishwasher/recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2022, 04:23 am »
Honestly, we’ve had really good luck with a mid point GE.  We looked at Bosch but couldn’t justify the price difference.  It’s been 4 or 5 years, maybe more, but I want to say the GE was $400 where the Bosch $600 or $700.  Given the age the model is probably irrelevant but we have a 665.13299N413.  Scratch that… The $400 dishwasher is now $850!?

sfox7076

« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2022, 03:56 pm »
Wash your dishes by hand. Save the planet.

You actually use more water washing by hand (statistically).  And we have a Bosch in Brooklyn and a Kitchenaid upstate.  Both work fine, Kitchenaid dries much better.  Bosch's third drawer (top drawer for silverware) is vastly superior to the Kitchenaid and gets our silverware sparkling clean.  The Kitchenaid not as much.  It's clean, but they occasionally fall over in the drawer and one side of the spoon won't get clean.  I got the Kitchenaid on clearance with a rebate for $350.  I paid $800 for the Bosch some years ago.  My wife prefers the Bosch.... 

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2022, 07:51 pm »
Bosch!  Dead quiet and gets the dishes really clean.

Early B.

« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2022, 08:44 pm »
Dang it!! We have a Bosch and I got the E09 error code yesterday which typically indicates replacing the heater motor. It's a simple DIY job, fortunately. Just finished watching a couple of videos and ordered the OEM part.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 12 Oct 2022, 09:00 pm »
You actually use more water washing by hand (statistically).  And we have a Bosch in Brooklyn and a Kitchenaid upstate.  Both work fine, Kitchenaid dries much better.  Bosch's third drawer (top drawer for silverware) is vastly superior to the Kitchenaid and gets our silverware sparkling clean.  The Kitchenaid not as much.  It's clean, but they occasionally fall over in the drawer and one side of the spoon won't get clean.  I got the Kitchenaid on clearance with a rebate for $350.  I paid $800 for the Bosch some years ago.  My wife prefers the Bosch....

Which one has the better s/n ratio.

Phil_S

« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2022, 09:04 pm »
We just purchased a 100 series Bosch for $650 delivered.  They do go much higher but this one works great and is dead quiet (50db) for a dishwasher.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2022, 03:11 am »
Beat me to it. It’s tough to make everybody happy (energy conservation vs water conservation), but my own personal experience has been if you don’t fill the Dishwasher ALL the way and use the best detergent for your circumstances (how hard/soft your water is, water pressure, type of dishes, etc), I personally use far less water using my Dishwasher (Jennair) than hand washing.

YMMV.

Early B.

« Reply #27 on: 13 Oct 2022, 03:55 am »
Beat me to it. It’s tough to make everybody happy (energy conservation vs water conservation), but my own personal experience has been if you don’t fill the Dishwasher ALL the way and use the best detergent for your circumstances (how hard/soft your water is, water pressure, type of dishes, etc), I personally use far less water using my Dishwasher (Jennair) than hand washing.

The standard cleaning cycle on my Bosch is 2 hours and 25 minutes. Seems like an awful lot of energy is being used AND you gotta pre-clean some of your dishes by hand anyway before you place them in the dishwasher. Alternatively, I can hand wash a sink full of dishes in 10 minutes. I think those "scientific" Internet articles about hand washing vs. dishwashers were written by the manufacturers. :o   

artur9

« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2022, 01:09 pm »
I don't know.  If the dishwasher is using the same water over and over, filtering it in between then it's using less water at the cost of more energy and time.

That's how car washes save water.  When one washes at home, the water goes into the drain.  The car wash reuses the water over and over.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2022, 02:24 pm »
Had our Maytag for 17 years, other than one of bottom tines breaking off (from rust) no problems, runs quietly, cleans well.  We pre-rinse and only run it maybe twice a week.