Dryer recommendation needed

Doublej

Dryer recommendation needed
« on: 9 Mar 2022, 10:25 pm »
After 17 years my electric dryer crapped out. The heating element temperature controller went bad. Replacement parts are no longer available so I need to get a new one. Thoughts on a brand? FWIW Consumer Reports is big on LG for reliability.

WGH

Re: Dryer recommendation needed
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2022, 10:39 pm »
The NYTimes Wirecutter has a couple of suggestions. Wirecutter reviews are subscription based.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/search/?s=dryer

May 22, 2020 review
"After 50 hours of research, we learned that clothes dryers all work pretty similarly. So if you don’t care if your dryer matches your washer, we recommend looking for a simple, sturdy dryer because it’ll work just as well as models that cost hundreds more. We think the Maytag MEDX655DW electric dryer (or the Maytag MGDX655DW gas version) is a good choice because it’s one of the most well-built dryers you’ll find for the money, with all the features you need and none that you don’t.

"As a Maytag dryer, the MEDX655DW (or the MGDX655DW gas version) has a good reputation for reliability. The warranty is a little bit better than that of most others brands, too (10 years for the drum and motor, in addition to the standard one year of parts and labor). The hardware that actually dries your clothes is essentially the same as in any other dryer, and it has all the extra features that are actually useful, including a moisture sensor (for the auto cycle), a drum light, and a wrinkle-prevent setting. It leaves out the pointless extras like a steam cycle, Wi-Fi, and touch-sensitive controls, so you’ll save some money.

"If the Maytag is unavailable, or if you want a hamper-style door, we recommend the Whirlpool WED5000DW electric dryer (or the WGD5000DW gas version). It usually costs a little less and has a slightly, if insignificantly, cheaper feel to the controls. Apart from the hamper-style door, which some people prefer for the extra folding surface and the convenience of moving laundry over from a top-load washer, the WED5000DW has all the same features and cycles as the Maytag. We also like Whirlpool as a brand, as it consistently ranks among the best for long-term reliability and satisfaction. Maytag and Whirlpool are owned by the same parent company, Whirlpool Corporation, so it’s very likely that our main pick and runner-up are essentially the same dryer.

"Our main pick and runner-up have their control panel mounted on the top rear of the body. But some people prefer the look of front-mounted controls (especially if they own a front-loading washer). In that case, we recommend the Whirlpool WED75HEFW electric dryer (or WGD75HEFW gas version). Like our top picks, it offers one of the best balances of build quality, design, and brand reputation for the cost. It has all of the most important features—an end-of-cycle alert, moisture sensor, temperature control, drum light, wrinkle-prevent mode—and little more. As a straightforward Whirlpool model there’s a good chance it will last longer than others without need for repair."

I don't own a dryer and use a clothes line, here in AZ laundry dries faster on the line than in a dryer plus it never breaks.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2022, 10:57 pm »
Get one that is available. Lots of brands are backordered for 6-9 months. I know because we just purchased a washer and dryer. Also quality control on all major appliances is truly awful. Talk to experienced salespeople to see which companies have replacement parts well stocked. As a result of the current manufacturing issues, we purchased extended warranties. So buyers beware.

NB

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2022, 11:02 pm »
There's another option as I see it, but I should qualify. I mostly repair my own stuff and I like keeping old appliances going. Assuming all else functions and you mind looking at the old girl a while longer, there's typically an aftermarket supply chain or even used parts. Ebay is good for used and there's lots of appliance parts dealers around, some part out old stuff too.  If you have part number, Google manufacturer and part number for some surprising results.

Dryers are actually pretty simple devices, so not all that difficult to repair.

Did I mention I like ferreting out stuff like this?

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2022, 12:11 am »
There's another option as I see it, but I should qualify. I mostly repair my own stuff and I like keeping old appliances going. Assuming all else functions and you mind looking at the old girl a while longer, there's typically an aftermarket supply chain or even used parts. Ebay is good for used and there's lots of appliance parts dealers around, some part out old stuff too.  If you have part number, Google manufacturer and part number for some surprising results.

Dryers are actually pretty simple devices, so not all that difficult to repair.

Yeah, all new appliances are pretty much crapshoots. Buy one with the fewest features (less things that can go wrong). If it breaks, fix it yourself. My washer broke a year after I bought it. Via google, I realized the computer module went bad, so I bought a replacement, watched a YouTube video, and installed it myself. It's been running great for the past 6 years. If I had called a repairman to fix it, he probably would have charged nearly as much as the cost of a new washer.

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2022, 12:26 am »
Hit your local places and big box stores for scratch and dent or returns. Buy the least expensive one.

JCarney

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2022, 02:59 am »
Get a Speed Queen and don't look back.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2022, 01:03 pm »

+1

Rated to handle 10,000 loads (roughly 50 years of use), used in laundromats, made in the U.S. of metal parts.  Just buy the basic model.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2022, 01:30 pm »
We have an LG front load washer that's 5 years old and LG front load dryer that is a year old. LG is the only brand that I will ever buy in the future, if I ever need to buy another set.

Samac

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2022, 03:04 pm »

:thumb: +2

Cheers,

Scott

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2022, 04:11 pm »
We bought a Samsung set about 6-8 years ago.  Washing machine lasted 2 years with multiple warranty repairs.

When it died again we went Speed Queen for the washer.

Kept the Samsung dryer and it is running fine.

But when that dies, I will buy the matching dryer.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2022, 07:02 pm »
Is it possible to hang your clothes outside?

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2022, 07:46 pm »
We bought a Samsung set about 6-8 years ago.  Washing machine lasted 2 years with multiple warranty repairs.

When it died again we went Speed Queen for the washer.

Kept the Samsung dryer and it is running fine.

But when that dies, I will buy the matching dryer.

I just replaced a Samsung dryer.  Went with something Samsung (that was in stock and available that wasn't quite as much as the original dryer but matches it).  It was about 8 years old.  Unfortunately, Samsung does not do their own out-of-warranty repairs.  They sent Asurion (and I'm sure for a general home warranty thrown in for free when you buy or sell your house it is Ok).  First guy came and got it working in 10 minutes and said it was a relay and board.  He said he's probably be back when the part came in.  They sent someone else (who couldn't reach things and I had to do it).  When they opened the box, it was a TV part (and then everything had to be put back).  Then they told me the proper part was ordered and scheduled an appointment days later and last minute canceled to tell me the part didn't come in.  They rescheduled and never showed up or called a few days after that.  When I called them back they didn't know what was going on and then called me back a half hour later to tell me the part just came in and they'll be there the next day (no explanation as to why there was no call).  Two different people came the next day (well past the appointment and almost 5PM).  The board had the same number (but mounted in a different manner so I'm not even sure it would fit) but when the connections were plugged in it wouldn't work and then the old board, which was still working that day wouldn't work and then they wanted to start ordering connectors and said it would take about another week or a bit more.  I said no thanks.  I went out and bought a dryer that evening and it got delivered and set-up a few days later.  I figured 3 weeks was enough time (with missed appointments) for them to either fix it or have some definitive resolution vs. we'll take another week (or who knows how long) and maybe that will resolve the issue.  I just didn't have any confidence with multiple people showing up, appointments missed and the people scheduling those appointments (in Tennessee) were calling me the same time as their co-workers (probably sitting next to them or in the same building) with different stories.

When either the washer (about 8 years old and Samsung did a recall on it about 5 years back) or dryer goes, hopefully in 4-5 years, give or take, I'll just go out and get something better.  Everything ever made can break either in warranty or out-of-warranty.  The good companies take care of those things.  Anytime someone is going to give up control of things to an outside entity it can cause additional issues.  Definitely will look for something better next time around.

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2022, 08:50 pm »
Is it possible to hang your clothes outside?

For sure.  And then also possible to defrost them inside the house 5 months of the year here in Canada.

I grew up with a clothesline in the backyard, but currently don't use one.  Trees are almost big enough after 15+ years here!

thorman

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2022, 01:10 am »
Don't listen to the hype and the fancy looking Brands. Get a Speed Queen and save money on repairs.

deadhead

« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2022, 01:42 am »
Don't listen to the hype and the fancy looking Brands. Get a Speed Queen and save money on repairs.

+1      Very well built and all the company does is washers and dryers.

sonicxtc

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2022, 12:20 pm »
I found a retired Army Vet who rebuilds washers and dryers. Many of the older brands only need a handful of parts replaced and will then last at least several years or more. I've purchased at least 5 units for home and rentals and all work great. I've even found an old washer left at the side of the road, picked it up and gave it to him for a rebuild. The older units are simple and more durable in general. He charges $175 to $250 for the rebuilt units.
Good luck in your search.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2022, 03:39 pm »
I bought a German made Miele washer and dryer. The dryer is a ventless heat pump unit that runs on 120v AC. Highly efficient. Miele claims to be 97% vertically integrated so parts should never be a problem. Company is quite old and family owned. Their laundry appliances are built to last at least 20 years. Both washer and dryer were $1500 each. Since we use an outdoor clothesline 6 months of the year, I expect to get 40 years out of the dryer. Since I will be 75 this summer, I expect to expire before my dryer does.
As a bonus, I save the extracted water from the drying process to water house plants.

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2022, 07:17 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input.

Unfortunately I f*ed up by not questioning the repair guy as to what specifically needed to be replaced as he seemed confident he could obtain the parts. Otherwise I might have attempted an ebay parts purchase and repair. Once the unit was opened and the drum removed it looked pretty easy to get at things and understand how to it back together.

The repair guy also recommended a Speed Queen but I wasn't ready to spend that much for a dryer for two people. The wife chose a GE Profile from Costco so it will come with a four year warranty from Costco. Hopefully it will last longer.

Back to audio topics...