Plex music on my network

Carlman

Plex music on my network
« on: 17 Jan 2022, 05:51 pm »
Recently installed Plex so I could have access to my DVDs more readily in my home theater room, but decided to just use physical blu-rays instead.

However, in that process I uploaded all my music to the Plex server I set up.

I haven't done a full comparison yet, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is typically a poor choice or if the sound quality is pretty good.

I use Foobar for my primary listening over PC.
I use Pandora for almost everything else.. such as my phone.

However when I realized that Plex could serve up all my music to all my devices, I started thinking this might just replace the Logitech Media server I used to use.   Hmmm

I currently use the Onkyo app on my phone for flac files, the Logitech server app so I can play my local music, then Pandora which is what I default to cuz it's just easier.  It just seems like plex would consolidate a lot for me. 

Anyone have any thoughts on sound quality or rather issues?

Sorry if I'm late to this party, time flies when you're having kids.

sfraser

Re: Plex music on my network
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2022, 06:41 pm »
I currently use both, LMS for music and PLEX for video. Not sure what LMS features you are currently using, but make sure you consider them  before ditching LMS. I have about 8 LMS players (classic Slim Devices, and Raspberry Pi's with HiFiBerry DAC's etc. ). I have 3 Nvidia Shields as PLEX players.  Both LMS and PLEX are running on the same host as VM's.

I really like that I can synchronize all my squeezebox's throughout the house during parties , While BBQing on the patio , or house cleaning day etc. I also have  Spotify configured on the LMS which can stream to any or all of the players. I also like the ability to create playlists which can  source music files both from Spotify and my local library.  Now I am not sure of the scaling limit's  PLEX  has , I currently have over 1100 movies and it does not seem to be having any issues, but the LMS library is currently sitting at 90k FLAC files and running strong. I also like the fact I can spin up a new "squeezebox" with a really decent  DAC for a $150 or so.  One other thing is the material skin plugin for LMS and using my phone as my remote control for all 8 "Squeezebox" players.  Now PLEX may have answers for all these features that I am not aware of, but might want to verify that if you use any special LMS features.

Cheers,