Wyred For Sound DAC 2

bhobba

Re: Wyred For Sound DAC 2
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2010, 12:48 pm »
When will the Tranquility DAC be arriving ? Thanks... :thumb:

Hi Chris

Eric at dB Audio Labs didn't want to send it out until I got a mac mini.  I have now done that and I must say as a media server it is fantastic.  I still run Windows 7 but use J River which I find better than Itunes not only in functionality but both video and audio playback quality.  I got onto it from the review Chris at Computer Audiophile:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-Suggested-Hardware-List

Anyway I was going to get it in immediately but Mike at Lenehan Audio wanted to compare it to dac he is working on which is expected to be ready in 5 to 6 weeks.  The interesting thing about Mike's DAC is from the results of his prototype he believes it will be better than the DAC that spanked the WFS dac I purchased but cost less than $1k.  Now without going into the detail of exactly how he is doing that, but IMHO such a claim needs to be checked out which is why I am keen to wait.

As an aside as an interim measure until Hugh builds me a NAKSA I am running my ML1's from a small 8w Tripath job:
http://www.coemaudio.com.au/amplifiers/integrated-amplifiers/225/

It has the typical metallic sheen I find digital amps tend to have - but I don't mind that and it runs them loud enough for me - but I do listen at low levels.  In fact Mike said he can't even hear the levels I listen at.

Thanks
Bill

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2010, 04:09 am »
Thanks Bill....have fun! :thumb:

bhobba

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2010, 10:01 am »
Thanks Bill....have fun! :thumb:

AS always Chris its a pleasure.  Looking forward to getting to the bottom of the DAC issue.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2010, 04:39 am »
Hi Again All

Had a chance to put the WFS into my system and ho-rah ho-rah actually got it to work by using the Kernel Streaming mode of J River as recommended by EJ at WFS.  Even got the 192/24 bit up-sampling working.  Already I can say it is a few notches above the Audio GD Compass I was using before - but I already knew that from the comparisons we had done.  Interestingly it may have toned down a bit of metallic glare and sibilance control that I put down to the little tripath amp I was previously using. Will report further as my listening progresses.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2010, 01:28 pm »
Now I got the 192/24 bit up-sampling working and have been listening for a few hours- WOW - the detail this thing retrieves is quite simply breathtaking.  For example did you know there was a bit of tape hiss in parts of Christina Aguilera Back to Basics - neither did I - but I heard it very clearly.  Not only that but the slight glare and sibilance has now been reduced to the point you have to concentrate a bit to hear it most of the time.  I think while Mikes DAC is better hearing it ths way (ie via up-sampling and asynchronous USB) may level the playing field a bit. There even less doubt in my mind now computer audio is the future.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #25 on: 1 Aug 2010, 02:38 pm »
Hi Guys

Been playing around with the DAC and have noticed the right side is louder than the left.  I don't know why we didn't notice it before - all I can think of is when we were testing it the balance was adjusted to compensate or maybe it only happens on the USB input.

However this seems to a known issue:
http://www.wyred4sound.com/

Anyway I have contacted EJ at WFS and put in a service request to get a new top cover assembly.  I suspect simply adjusting the balance will resolve the issue in the interim so will continue checking it out until the fix arrives.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2010, 12:33 am »
Hi All

I have had some feedback from EJ that he is getting a bit of flack about some of my posts and they do not reflect what I have said to him.

To set the record straight my concern about the DAC had to do with not being able to get the USB working.  This has now been resolved and is working flawlessly using kernel steaming.  I have since become aware that problems with Windows 7 had to do with an update to windows.  Having worked in the IT industry as a programmer for many years my experience is these types of problems are virtually impossible to avoid.  Knowing this I now believe when I said products should not be released with these types of driver problems it was not a correct assessment of the true situation.  From what I can gather extensive testing was done.

My position on the sonic's is it is close to the best out there at any price.  It has the best detail of any DAC I have ever heard.   It totally outclassed an Havana is every area.  It was close to Mike's reference DAC but in the areas of sibilance control, fluidity, liquidity, musicality and sound-staging that DAC was better.  Not hugely better - it was close - but it was better.  That DAC however is a lot more expensive, heavily tweaked, and in many ways an unfair comparison.  The reason I mention it the original scuttlebutt is it was scary close to the best out there at any price.  However I found it was 'just' close.  I put just in quotes here because I don't want people to get the wrong idea - this is a tremendous accomplishment.  I also want to add I have had a chance to listen using up-sampled 192/24 material and material recorded at at 192/24.  This raised the bar even further and I want to do a direct comparison to Mikes DAC and the Tranquility DAC specifically checking this out.  Although I can't preempt the outcome of that new comparison because audible memory is a poor thing, my feeling is using that it may be scary close or even equal.  Without reservation I recommend this DAC.  The only DAC I am aware of in its price range that may be its equal is the Tranquility and I will be doing a specific comparison to check it out.  This is expected to occur sometime later this month.

With regard to the balance issue please be aware this is of zero concern to me.  I worked in the IT industry for many years and any new product goes through similar teething issues.  That is only to be expected.  Both EJ and the distributor I got it through here in Australia - Deep Hz Audio -  are doing everything in their power to correct this quickly.  Their after sales service is absolutely impeccable and a real credit to both organizations.  Having problems does not concern me as much as how well they are corrected.  This problem so far has been corrected in a flawless and timely manner to my complete satisfaction.

Thanks
Bill

Rocket

« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2010, 01:42 am »
Hi Bhobba,

I guess this is a problem with an online audiophile community where as consumers we share our joys and frustrations and when a product works well the manufacturer is happy with comments.

Both EJ and the distributor I got it through here in Australia - Deep Hz Audio -  are doing everything in their power to correct this quickly.  Their after sales service is absolutely impeccable and a real credit to both organizations.  Having problems does not concern me as much as how well they are corrected.  This problem so far has been corrected in a flawless and timely manner to my complete satisfaction.

I think this is an important comment that you have made.  I have imported a lot of hifi equipment over the years and more than half the time I have had problems with the product.  Unfortunately, due to the distance from the US it is difficult to obtain much in the way of service to fix the issue.

Anyway, I'm glad that Wyred 4 sound and your distributor are helping you fix these issues.

Kind Regards

Rod

bhobba

« Reply #28 on: 6 Aug 2010, 01:54 am »
Hi Rod

I guess this is a problem with an online audiophile community where as consumers we share our joys and frustrations and when a product works well the manufacturer is happy with comments.

Yes.  And as I have discovered when you are unhappy with one aspect of it as I was with USB initially, it can impact on how you express yourself about another aspect you were in fact very happy with - sonics.  I will try to avoid that trap in future.

I think this is an important comment that you have made.  I have imported a number of hifi products and more than half the time I have had problems with a product.  It really hurts spending so much money and receiving so little support which is partly due to our distance from the US.

Yes indeed. Their support has been first rate.

Thanks
Bill

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:00 am »
Bill, Christina aguillera?  Tell me it ain't so. Who's next Brittany Spears? :wink:

bhobba

« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2010, 10:11 am »
Bill, Christina aguillera?  Tell me it ain't so. Who's next Brittany Spears? :wink:

Well she aren't quite up to my all time favorite Aretha Franklin but she is close.  Aren't No Other Man electrifies me the same way. Brittaney Spears is not even close.

Thanks
Bill

navi

« Reply #31 on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:10 am »

Xtina is ok! If Bill said katy Perry- I would have shamed him.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:07 pm »
No way, Taylor Swift can kick Christina's ass any day. :lol:

bhobba

« Reply #33 on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:21 pm »
Xtina is ok! If Bill said katy Perry- I would have shamed him.

Many modern singers are sickeningly bland but a few like Christina are OK - not as good as past masters like Areatha - but stll OK.  I don't see any new talent of that class which is a concern.  Of the current crop my favorite is Dianna Krall but even she is a bit bland.

Thanks
Bill