Group Buy: GK-1 Upgrade (AudioCap 40uF & BC560)

AKSA

Re: Group Buy: GK-1 Upgrade (AudioCap 40uF & BC560)
« Reply #100 on: 26 May 2009, 10:53 am »
Mark,

Welcome back!!

Just despatched your parts today, you should have 'em before week is out.....

Cheers,

Hugh

Oz_Audio

« Reply #101 on: 26 May 2009, 11:29 am »
Thanks Hugh, looking forward to breathing lead agian :icon_lol:

As far as "The Blonde" goes, it has been an interesting experience listening to my original TLb speakers using an 80's Musical Fidelity amp since the GK1 stopped. 

I am convinced I am on the right track!!

Mark

PSP

GK-1 C4, C7 / Group Buy: GK-1 Upgrade (AudioCap 40uF & BC560)
« Reply #102 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:00 pm »
Too much stuff to do, music is mostly really, really good (so I mostly listen and haven't done much tweaking lately) but... I may have some time to tweak in the next month or two, so what do you guys think? 

Should I leave my "mostly-Platinum-tweaked GK-1" alone, or do this mod?

Many thanks,
Peter

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #103 on: 4 Sep 2010, 12:24 am »
Peter,

Sorry I'm a bit late in responding to your query but been away from the forum for a bit.  I personally think this is a really worthwhile and close to a must do upgrade so I would recommend you tweak away. :thumb:

I haven't changed the transistors myself but upgraded the caps to 24uF Solens before the apparently better AudioCap 40uF buy became available.  Even with the Solens, my initial impression of the C4/C7 mod was of an improvement pretty close to the order of magnitude of that of the original Platinum installation with greatly increased refinement and clean, low-level detail.  Did take quite a long period for the caps to bed in though so be prepared for that.

Go on, do it - you know you want to. :P

PSP

« Reply #104 on: 14 Sep 2010, 12:21 am »
Lyn,
Thanks for your encouraging comments.  I remember the magnitude of the Platinum mods... away we go!!  Thank you!!!

Peter