GK-1 Comparison - AI or others?

Carlman

GK-1 Comparison - AI or others?
« on: 18 Feb 2003, 05:07 pm »
Has anyone who owns or has listened to a GK-1 also listend to an Audible Illusions 2-D?  I've got the AI with modifications by Chimera Labs and I can't imagine there being a LOT better preamp.  The AI is a very neutral tube pre-amp with excellent soundstage.  I've also had a Melos MA111 pre which was so-so and lacked realism in many regards.  I've also had 1 solid state pre, a Hegeman Hapi II.. which was very clean but had little involvement.

That's all the experience I have.  The GK-1 costs a lot more new than I paid for the AI used with modifications.  I will soon have the AKSA 100 w/ Nirvana.  The only 'real' reason I have to replace the AI is to have 1 volume pot instead of 2.... and to use a couple of extra LED's I have.  (not much of a reason, I know)  So, I'm looking for more reasons here.

I would have posted this to the 'GK-1 - Stunning' thread but... that thread has gone a little off the original subject. ;)

Thanks,
Carl
(PS, I listen to a variety of music such as Norah Jones, Rusted Root, Diana Krall, James Moody, Pearl Jam, Brothers Johnson, and much much more!)

DSK

Not the AI 2D but ...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2003, 06:56 am »
Hi Carl,
Usually you (in the US) and me (in Oz) are the other way around ....you have managed to hear everything, possibly even in your own system, and I just have to read as much as I can and take an informed guess.

Unfortunately, words on a screen cannot convey the true sound of a component. Especially when they are written by someone you don't know, who listened to the component in a system you don't know. So you have to take what anyone (including me) says with a grain of salt. However, let me pass on the little info I can, in the hope that it can be mixed with the other grains of salt and be of at least a little use to you  :)

My reference of the last 2 years has been the BAT VK-30 tube pre-amp. I added NOS tubes which certainly improved it. However, the GK-1 has been a revelation. It is *so* much better than the BAT in virtually every parameter that it is not funny. As we upgrade, finetune and tweak our systems, we expect the improvements to become smaller and smaller. Well, the GK-1 has been one of the two biggest improvements I have ever made to my system (the other was when I replaced my Rotel RMB100 monoblocks with a Plinius SA100/3 a few years back). Yes, the BAT was US$3500 and the GK-1 smoked it. FWIW (not much) I have read of audiophiles comparing the BAT VK30SE and VK50SE to the VK30 and finding them better, but not much better, and the VK50SE costs a stack more than the VK30.

I've heard pre-amps in my system from : Arcam, Acurus, Golden Tube, Rotel. And others in decent systems but not my own from :  Electrocompaniet 4.6?, AI M3A, Musical Fidelity, Perreaux, Golden Tube, Arcam.

Not one of them grabbed my attention and made me immediately think to myself .....aahhhhhh this is it !! This is REAL music. None of them kept me totally involved and unfatigued for listening sessions lasting up to 8 hours long. None that is, until the GK-1.

You have probably read comments from Darl (aka Pleb Plebian) on this forum, comparing the GK-1 favourably to pre-amps from Mark Levinson, the Audio Research Ref 1 and others. These are all well reputed and $$$$ pre-amps.  I think one or two people have also replaced their Bottlehead pre-amps with the GK-1 (perhaps someone else can confirm this ?).

Unfortunately, we tend to look at the comparitively cheap pricing of DIY components, and immediately think that they must only be good "for the money". Perhaps most are, and over-enthusiastic reviews and bold claims made without real premise do DIY in general more harm than good ? No doubt some readers, not having heard the GK-1, are reading my very positive comments here and thinking I'm doing exactly the same thing (shrug).  So unfortunately, when a true gem comes along, the baby is thrown out with the bath water  :(

All I can say is, find a well-put-together GK-1 and listen to it for yourself. It wasn't until I added the GK-1 that I realised how good the rest of my system really is.  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

My system:
Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player
Aspen GK-1 linestage
Plinius SA100/3 power amp
Ambience Ultra 1600 (Australian ribbon/hybrid speakers with Hovland xovers)
PS Audio Ultimate Outlets (High Current)
Eichmann AC cables (replaced Synergistic Research AC Master Couplers)
Symposium Rollerblocks & Vistek Aurio MIB's
DIY constrained layer platforms
Dedicated AC lines (240v/20A, 10awg)
Room acoustic treatments

Rocket

gk1
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2003, 11:24 am »
hello,

wow dsk your wetting my lips, but i've promised myself i won't sell my preamp which is an n.e.w. p3. btw i've finished off the aksa 100 by using your idea with the laser cutting service.  also had it powder coated which looks quite good, i have to borrow a digital camera and post some pictures.

carl,  why don't you see how the aksa 100 with nirvana turns out.  how long before you receive it from hugh?

my next purchase later this year is a good quality turntable and phono stage.  i've been promising to buy one for years.

anyway good luck.

regards

rod

ps carl let me know when the aksa is finished.

Carlman

Thanks!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2003, 02:12 pm »
DSK: Thank you very much.  That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.  I have been slowly building a very nice system making choices based on my ear combined with some influence from forums.

Now that I've heard quite a few different combos, I can better identify what makes what sound good... i.e. I know I need a new amp to make specific improvements.  Every time I buy something, it exceeds everything else in my system both in quality and performance.  The AI-2d was supposed to be IT.  The last pre I'd ever need.  (How many times have you told yourself this?)  But, I'm fairly new to this hobby -4 years- and have duped myself quite a few times.  I didn't mean to get carried away.  But, I can't get over how real the sound can get... and it just keeps getting better.

I think the AKSA 100 amp w/ Nirvana, will be better than what I have, an unmodified 1992 model ST-140.  However, I will do as Rod suggested and listen and judge quality at that point.  I just hope I'm not so enamored that my AI shows up on A-gon within a few hours.

Rod:
The AKSA is complete and was just shipped!!!!  :D   I'm psyched.  I can't wait to get it.  My transformers are also on their way and the case panels are being shipped as well. Everything should show up on my doorstep  within a couple of weeks.  Hugh did an outstanding job and went above and beyond what he had to do.  I'll post a full review of the transaction and the product after I've got it.  

Hugh is a professional with excellent customer service.  If you're reading this and you're on the fence because you're not sure about support or communication, get off.  Hugh answered every question quickly and provided options and advice for various questions I had.

So, I will listen to the AKSA 100 before I decide what I'm going to do.  That's good advice, Rod.  Plus, I have no $ means of buying the GK-1 at the moment.  I can't believe I'm considering it.... I really hope my wife is understanding.

Thanks again for the replies.

-Carl

Rocket

aksa products
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2003, 10:17 am »
hello carl,

i'm sure you'll be happy with it.  i still like mine and everything that hugh said about the amp was true after it burned in.  hugh indicated that it takes 20 hours after 3 hours of listening it really improved.

i know how you feel about buying new products i've invested a lot in my preamp and can't part with it.  i'm sure the gk1 will be better but i really need to buy a turntable.

email me with your thoughts on the amp.

regards

rod