longevity--putting belt on pulley only when in use

mgsboedmisodpc2

In order to improve Belt longevity I keep the belt on the pulley only when using the table. A good idea opinions please

mgsboedmisodpc2

Re: longevity--putting belt on pulley only when in use
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2013, 10:04 pm »
I am talking about the well tempered classic rubber belt.

simoon

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2013, 10:13 pm »
I don't see how it could hurt, but I don't believe it would have any major affect on longevity.

UV, ozone and air born pollutants are the major causes of rubber aging.  Seems to me, if you really waned to increase belt longevity, you'd have to put the belt in an opaque container or bag.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2013, 10:24 pm »
I probably should have mentioned the effect on the characteristics of the belt as well i.e.: its tension on the pulley should not deteriorate if it is not stretched and so when stretched on the pulley normal use suggests deterioration and when not stretched its characteristics can be retained

srb

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2013, 10:54 pm »
While not turntable belts, I have some synthetic nitrile rubber (Buna-N) O-rings that developed cracks after several years when installed in a tensioned state (lightly stretched in diameter as well as compression on the cross section).  The same O-rings that were not under tension (but exposed to the same UV, ozone and pollutants) did not crack or rot in the same time period.

Don't know if that might correlate to turntable belts of a different material and size, but .....

Steve

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2013, 12:25 am »
While not turntable belts, I have some synthetic nitrile rubber (Buna-N) O-rings that developed cracks after several years when installed in a tensioned state (lightly stretched in diameter as well as compression on the cross section).  The same O-rings that were not under tension (but exposed to the same UV, ozone and pollutants) did not crack or rot in the same time period.

Don't know if that might correlate to turntable belts of a different material and size, but .....

Steve

I can imagine the situation where the tension creates a greater tendency to chemically break down.  The non tensioned belt is more 'inert' physically. The belt in tension is 'active' on a molecular scale.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2013, 12:37 am »
I can imagine the situation where the tension creates a greater tendency to chemically break down.  The non tensioned belt is more 'inert' physically. The belt in tension is 'active' on a molecular scale.

I'm guessing that stretching the belt probably opens pores and exposes more surface area that allows the environmental factors to break it down more quickly.

Steve

/mp

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2013, 03:06 am »
Clean & store in a UV opaque vacuum chamber.

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2013, 03:22 pm »
You're certainly stretching something...

Would make sense if you're leaving the country for over a year...

My advice? Sell the Classic, buy an Amadeus, you'll be playing so many more records due to increased sq that you'll never have enough time on your hands to even sleep.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2013, 07:27 pm »
You're certainly stretching something...

Would make sense if you're leaving the country for over a year...

My advice? Sell the Classic, buy an Amadeus, you'll be playing so many more records due to increased sq that you'll never have enough time on your hands to even sleep.
I notice that my dealer is selling his demo Amadeus Charlie. I'm going to give him a call on Tuesday about a DPS dem when I suspect that I might be informed that the Amadeus is now out of production. I will report back.

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2013, 09:03 pm »
Sheer speculation on my part... I think in England the distributor is going for Simplex and Versalex, not sure of GTA.  Thinning the herd, so to speak.  Slightly wonky marketing to me.  But what do I know...
If it was me, lol, I'd have conceived or put to market a perhaps nicer looking Amadeus.  And leave it at that.

I did change my mind on the Simplex, it does sound good, for the money. Yet it ain't no Amadeus sq wise. Close, but no cigar. Yet that shorter arm makes it so choppy to use I hate it.
The GTA is nicer looking, overall, and does, on most days, slightky gives more bass than the Amadeus. Yet $1k more?
The Versalex should have been a beautiful wood version of the Amadeus.  Everyone wants wood these days. Yet it's not. So it's pointless to me.

So you see, Rob, I'm still back at the Amadeus, or wishing for a beautiful version thereof.  It plays music better than most, easy to use and cue, allows for your choice of cable, works with almost any cartridge, made by a genius of hifi (designed) and nicely backed up by distributor Mr P. or in England the great John Burns.

I'm sure over time it will all get sorted.

rob400

« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2013, 11:35 pm »
Sheer speculation on my part... I think in England the distributor is going for Simplex and Versalex, not sure of GTA.  Thinning the herd, so to speak.  Slightly wonky marketing to me.  But what do I know...
If it was me, lol, I'd have conceived or put to market a perhaps nicer looking Amadeus.  And leave it at that.

I did change my mind on the Simplex, it does sound good, for the money. Yet it ain't no Amadeus sq wise. Close, but no cigar. Yet that shorter arm makes it so choppy to use I hate it.
The GTA is nicer looking, overall, and does, on most days, slightky gives more bass than the Amadeus. Yet $1k more?
The Versalex should have been a beautiful wood version of the Amadeus.  Everyone wants wood these days. Yet it's not. So it's pointless to me.

So you see, Rob, I'm still back at the Amadeus, or wishing for a beautiful version thereof.  It plays music better than most, easy to use and cue, allows for your choice of cable, works with almost any cartridge, made by a genius of hifi (designed) and nicely backed up by distributor Mr P. or in England the great John Burns.

I'm sure over time it will all get sorted.

Nice post Charlie. In the UK Well Tempered is not as recognised as it should be IMO. Only 3 dealers nationwide. The Linn LP12 has a cult like following here. Owners are spending £3000 on a power supply and £2500 on top plate/sub chassis upgrades for it. Crazy as at best the bells and whistles version only achieves parity with an Amadeus or Versalex. It's amazing what good marketing achieves. Mind you it doesn't help WTL's cause when they produce a deck as badly conceived cosmetically as the Versalex....

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2013, 04:50 am »
Agreed.  I recently heard a comparison between a highly upgraded Sondek and Amadeus.
To me, the Amadeus still had a more natural presentation to the music, the LP12 sounded ramped up like it was on steroids.  Sure, the LP12 looked the part, yet in the end, who cares? The music making is what it should be all about.  Yes, maybe they can find a string material that won't break, a better wart, squash less balls.  Even a super thin dustcover like a Rega...there's still time.  Look how some hifi products out there have evolved.

rob400

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2013, 11:04 am »
We are singing from the same songbook here Charlie. If I'd have posted our assessment of the LP12 in the Pink Fish Media forum it would have been met with derision....

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2013, 01:31 pm »
Lol....I love those guys...and gal.
The Naim forum is probably the most accurate, if you're a Naimie.
Audiogon is a vast wasteland of clueless self proclaimed experts.
You have to drink the koolaid if you're posting on the Harbeth forum.
My friends like the Steve Hoffman site.
I look at vinyl and speaker asylums, yet never participate.
So much wackiness out there... so little time.

rob400

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2013, 01:45 pm »
 :D. I'd just love to transfer your post to the relevant forums.  :thumb:

threadkiller

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2013, 03:07 pm »
Oh noooooooo.... Lol. 
I'd get the boot in a heartbeat...

rob400

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2013, 03:43 pm »
Oh noooooooo.... Lol. 
I'd get the boot in a heartbeat...

Worry not, your secrets are safe with me  :D

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2013, 09:13 pm »
I agree that if the table goes into long storage, that is perhaps the right thing to do, but from moderate in-between play times on a belt drive table, it is just not necessary in my book. Not that that's bad or anything.

I leave mine on all the time. No ill effects.

Wayner
« Last Edit: 7 May 2013, 11:53 am by Wayner »