Leveling a Simplex

watercourse

Leveling a Simplex
« on: 12 Apr 2013, 11:17 pm »
Hi all,
My Simplex is a bit droopy on the tonearm side, due to greater weight on that side. Has anyone attempted to level the table by pulling out the squash balls to do this, and does it hold its position over time, or will it sink back into its housing and lose level eventually?
Thanks,
Wilson

vortrex

Re: Leveling a Simplex
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2013, 11:19 pm »
those balls get deformed over time.  I bought new ones for like $15.  you could try rotating the balls to get rid of the flat spots.

watercourse

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2013, 11:22 pm »
Got it, thanks!

And if/when I need to replace, any suggestions for particular brand of ball?

vortrex

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2013, 11:27 pm »
I learned that in squash there are different levels of firmness for the balls, which are indicated by colored dots (I think yellow, red, blue as I remember).  I believe the stock ones are blue and red is softer.  I don't think the brand matters at all, I got what was available on amazon.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2013, 04:10 pm »
Hi all,
My Simplex is a bit droopy on the tonearm side, due to greater weight on that side. Has anyone attempted to level the table by pulling out the squash balls to do this, and does it hold its position over time, or will it sink back into its housing and lose level eventually?
Thanks,
Wilson

I think Vortrex's rotation/periodic replacement suggestion is quite good. Before I bought my WTA, I realized there was no "onboard" way of leveling the table. Before I took delivery, I built an adjustable platform for the table to sit on. Simply a finished maple butcher block with 1/4" threaded inserts/spikes near each of the 4 corners. I've only had to make one minor leveling adjustment in over a year of use.

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:27 am »
Wilson,
I've never heard of the droop. It's certainly not from the weight of the tonearm. Perhaps that ball isn't seated right, or as Vortex said perhaps it failed, although I've not heard of that either. Pull it out and reinsert. They do come out in case you didn't know.
One doesn't level a WTL, it's the platform you level.
Put your bubble level on the platter, NOT the plinth.

Mick, have you tried other platform materials? I tried maple butcher block- no WTL seems to like it, nor did any of my listening panel. 

Best

vortrex

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:39 am »
All three of my Amadeus got the deformed squash balls over time.  My GTA is 6 months old and has it.

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:51 am »
Wow,
First I've heard of that.  I 've had mine since they came out, no problems.
You must play some very heavy records... :lol:
Sorry, I'm sure it must be irritating.. like my posts.

vortrex

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:52 am »
Hard to imagine.  I bet if you removed them you would see their new shape.

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:37 pm »
Wilson,
I've never heard of the droop. It's certainly not from the weight of the tonearm. Perhaps that ball isn't seated right, or as Vortex said perhaps it failed, although I've not heard of that either. Pull it out and reinsert. They do come out in case you didn't know.
One doesn't level a WTL, it's the platform you level.
Put your bubble level on the platter, NOT the plinth.

Mick, have you tried other platform materials? I tried maple butcher block- no WTL seems to like it, nor did any of my listening panel. 

Best

Thread,
                I use two fairly massive 1.5" maple butcher blocks with 4 mouse pads sandwiched between the two. Pretty much dampens what would be a very resonant solo butcher block. A very quiet and real presentation. On the other subject, never had a problem with the squash balls, but I'll be keeping an eye on them.

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2013, 07:29 pm »
Hi Mick,
I can understand the damping that you say resulted, but a WTL of any kind, and I've had them all, doesn't like a dead or massive platform. Only going by all that I've heard , seen elsewhere, or experimented with, I would say while you might be getting some enhancement of something, that the table is having the life, the good feel, sucked out of it.
I so wish we all could snap our fingers like Endora and be listening at each others homes- then some progress on these forums could really happen.
Well, until then, carry on....

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2013, 08:50 pm »
Thread......all I can say is that my set-up is anything but lifeless. Spooky presence is what I hear more often than not ( material permitting of course). Yes, I wish I could beam you over, but Tucson's a long haul.....even by beaming standards.

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2013, 01:44 am »
LOL...

But, as that dear Mr Pranka always asks, how does it feel? What is it really doing to the music?

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2013, 11:55 am »
I second Charlie's views. I've tried butchers block, granite, glass etc under my Versalex. It wasn't until I constructed an oak veneered 3/4" MDF 5 tear rack each level having 2"x2" oak legs and cone feet that I felt I got the best from my Versalex. The deck obviously sits on the top level.

I had enough MDF left to make a sub platform which I fitted squash ball feet to. Surprisingly under the Versalex it effected the sound adversely IMO. Having a deadening effect. My dealer over here in the UK uses a simple $70 IKEA table to sit his Versalex/ Dynavector gear on. It's just melamine faced 1/2 " MDF. Looks awful but he swears by it.

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2013, 02:16 pm »
The Ikea support idea has been around for a while. Some even saw the legs down and stack them, with the Lakks at least.  And yes, the table sounds fine on those. Of course a Quadraspire does sound much better.
It is surprising to hear how some supports/ surfaces can alter the table as much as it can.  Often simpler is better.

watercourse

« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2013, 05:44 am »
Sheesh, somehow I didn't get notices that there were responses.

Anyhow, reseated the squash balls, and the table is less off of level. It was significantly "drooping" on the tonearm side, so this needed to be done, regardless of whether you typically level a table or not - it was that far off.

I usually level the shelf that the table is sitting on, but when I leveled it that way, it looked comical enough - and made me wonder about the bearing being off-balance - for me to ask around about this.

Since vortrex and I are both in San Francisco, maybe it's a Bay Area thing...

threadkiller

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2013, 02:39 pm »
Yes, you do have your sliding shelf out there...
Have your dealer get you another ball..

watercourse

« Reply #17 on: 3 May 2013, 03:48 pm »
So punny, threadkiller, very well played  :thumb:

Vic

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2013, 07:38 am »
Keep in mind the unique Well Tempered plater spindle and place the level across the plater edges in two directions 90 degrees apart.

threadkiller

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2013, 01:41 pm »
No, use a small round single bubble..... won't matter where on the platter you put it.