GTA options

ncblue

GTA options
« on: 4 Apr 2013, 01:12 am »
Can the GTA be ordered with the new LTD arm?
I really like the black, but would like the ease of adjustment, tonearm lift etc...

SteevA

Re: GTA options
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:33 am »
No, I dont believe it can. There is a version of the GTA drilled for the Dynavector arm but I dont know if the arm mounting hole is in the right place for the LTD.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:03 am »
The GTA plinth would have to be re drilled.
Steve, the Dynavector table is different - smaller plinth and smaller platter to accommodate the Dynavector arm.  Also higher cup suspension to accommodate the tonearm cabling.
The GTA can have a cueing lift added.  That would be my choice.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:09 am »
Can the GTA be ordered with the new LTD arm?
I really like the black, but would like the ease of adjustment, tonearm lift etc...

Yes, since there is a cueing lever option I have trouble seeing the advantage of the LTD arm here. A good option for someone with a different table but if getting a WT table it would be more hassle than it is worth.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2013, 04:49 am »
Yes, since there is a cueing lever option I have trouble seeing the advantage of the LTD arm here. A good option for someone with a different table but if getting a WT table it would be more hassle than it is worth.

Agreed.....I fussed over the WTA not having a cueing mechanism, but when I actually set it up, manual cueing was a breeze. The silicon damping fluid is so dense that it's like your tonearm has training wheels. Not even remotely as scarey as manually cueing a conventional arm.

bernie_f

• Laissez les bons temps rouler
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2013, 11:02 am »
Adding this could help and would suit aesthetically:

http://www.y-s-c.jp/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_24

let the good times roll
bernie

ADiG

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2013, 06:21 am »
tone arm lift for Amadeus by Audikron (DE):

http://audikron.com/wp-content/pdf/WTL_Preisliste_2011.pdf

:D

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2013, 02:41 pm »
I guess my question would be have you ever been to a dealer or friend who has a WTL and watched and tried cueing one by finger/tonearm?  Reading about it is nothing- experience is everything.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2013, 09:32 pm »
Have you auditioned the Versalex against the Amadeus GTAa. I did last year. The Versalex had a DV20x2l fitted and the Amadeus a XXL2. I felt as does Dave at Audio Counsel that the Versalex had a clear edge sounding warmer and more organic without losing any of the Amadeus strengths. I subsequently bought the Versalex and haven't looked back. It would be more cost effective to sell your Amadeus and purchase a new Versalex I would have thought subject to you sharing my aural opinions!

ncblue

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:45 pm »
Looks like I'm going to have to demo both tables. And possibly work a few more shifts!

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2013, 01:04 pm »
Sorry I don't hold your opinion. Obviously something is amiss. The xx2 alone is a better cartridge, so if you're preferring the Versalex and the 20, there was something else skewing the outcome. The Versalex is not the better sounding table.

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2013, 01:07 pm »
Have you auditioned the Versalex against the Amadeus GTAa. I did last year. The Versalex had a DV20x2l fitted and the Amadeus a XXL2. I felt as does Dave at Audio Counsel that the Versalex had a clear edge sounding warmer and more organic without losing any of the Amadeus strengths. I subsequently bought the Versalex and haven't looked back. It would be more cost effective to sell your Amadeus and purchase a new Versalex I would have thought subject to you sharing my aural opinions!

I am also surprised to hear that a Versalex and the 20XL was better sounding than a WTA with an XX-2. I would have thought that the different cart would make a bigger difference between the two.

rob400

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2013, 03:31 pm »
It's just how it heard it and I've owned some good hifi over the years. Interestingly I dem'd what was my own deck at the time a reasonably high spec LP12 against the Well Tempered duo. The Linn sounded bloated and confused in comparison to both. The difference between Versalex and Amadeus wasn't huge but both the dealer and myself heard it the same way. A little more warmth and body with the Versalex. I respect the opinions of you guys on the forum so maybe something was a miss with the Amadeus on dem. No complaints with how it's panned out though. Music in my home sounds fab. P.S. I read somewhere that the Amadeus is no longer in production? Can any of you guys clarify?
Rob

threadkiller

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2013, 08:18 pm »
Hi Rob,
I wasn't denying what you heard, merely the comparison set up...something had to be amiss. 
Look at it this way....the XX2 is musically a better cartridge, it just is. The Versalex is not exalting the 20XL over the XX2.  I've heard them way too many times in various setups. Nor is the Versalex a better sounding table.  It's marketing. I've heard 20Xl's on both the tables side by side, the sound is very similar. Seems a tad lighter to me with the Versalex.
I agree with your assessment of the LP12, although there are pricey mods that diminish that somewhat.
I, too, have heard/read rumors, although I sure hope it's not true. The Amadeus/Amadeus-GTA is still the best of the lot, the rest are just marketing machines - the Simplex at a price point, the GTA for finish and black ball, the Versalex for wood.  It will be a great day if Firebaugh indeed makes a table that supersedes the Amadeus, so far the others have been marketing issues.

rob400

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2013, 09:14 pm »
Nice thread friend. Very informed and knowledgable.

I avoided the Naim forum when I owned a system heavily loaded with there gear because I perceived it as being full of parrots. The Linn one pays homage to a certain LP12 guru from the UK midlands who prior to my move over to WT/ DV/ SH told me that even a basic LP12 (old spec) trounces the WT's. So much for best advise.

I'm still not 100% sure about what's the best materials and configuration to use as supports for my kit. I tried glass and metal spikes on a aluminium framed custom rack but thought an ikea table sounded better. To keep my other half happy I made a 5 tiered rack made up of oak veneered mdf tops, lipped and legged in solid oak with oak cones at the base of each foot. The Versalex is obviously on top would you add any isolation platform to that level etc? As a side note a friend of mine had waxed lyrical about his expensive Nordost Thor mains conditioner so he brought it round recently. In my system I thought more hifi less music. It sounded clean but sucked all the life out of the music.

Keep up the info guys. It's appreciated.

threadkiller

« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2013, 09:28 pm »
Rob,
You are very astute!
I doubt the glass and such will find a welcome home under a WTL.  One shelf I do like that I use on my Target wall shelf is unfortunately kaput.  The squash ball feet do a fine job in any application I've seen, so I doubt you'll have any worries.  I tried Mapleshade, all sorts of craziness, and always got the thumbs down from my guys.
Your DV will hate power conditioners- keep them away!
When I had a L300 and HX1.2 I tried a few- bleh!
Stick with what you know- it seems like plenty. :)
Cheers!
Charlie

rob400

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2013, 11:25 pm »
Hi Charlie.

Thanks I appreciated all that. Look forward to reading your future posts.

Rob