Hardly a new topic... volume and viscosity of WTC fluids

j beede

With the demise of Stanalog I ned a new source of silicone fluid for my ancient WTC. I expect the fluid is Dow/Corning 200 fluid but I need to know the volume and the viscosity for the arm well and for the main bearing. I see this question has been asked several times over the years but I haven't found an answer giving viscosity and volume of fluid. I prefer to use silicone fluid (stable, clear, odorless) over any recommendations for using petroleum based fluids.
...j

vortrex

j beede

Re: Hardly a new topic... volume and viscosity of WTC fluids
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2013, 09:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have already sent e-mail to turntablebasics twice over the past couple weeks... no reply. 10cc may be more than adequate to refill a dry cueing mechanism but is no where near enough fluid to fill the WTT arm well. Before I order five tubes of the"wrong" fluid I would like to know what viscosity and volume I need. I suspect the arm well uses 100,00cSt or 300,000cSt. Anyone know?

FYI: For the arm well volume I am estimating (3.14)(2.5cm)2(2.5cm)= ~39cc
...j

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2013, 10:16 pm »
You can get the silicone for the arm on eBay, it's 100,000 cst and get a 2 oz. bottle for ten bucks.  You'll have about an ounce left over.
You said no engine oil but Mobil 1 5/20W works great for the platter - fill it up to around the top button, place the spindle in and mop up anything that spills out.

gstew

• Everything Matters!
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:10 pm »
I'm really curious what the spindle bearing fluid viscosity is also. I still have a couple of fills left, but will be dry after that.

J Beede, I'm like you, I'd like to stick with the original fluid types.

I have seen multiple sources indicating that the tonearm fluid is 100,000 Cst. And the easiest & most convenient source I've seen for that is RC Car shock-absorber fluids available at your local hobby shop or many places online.

Greg in Mississippi