How does the Bryston BP26 compare to the pre-amp section of the B100SST?

WoodyWW

Reason I ask, lately I've been using my recently purchased B100SST as a power amp only in my system, with my Cary SLP98 preamp. (A nice feature of the B100SST is that it can also be used as a pre-amp only, or power amp only). This is a really nice combination IMO, the Cary preamp with the power amp section of the B100SST, so much so that I sold off my CJ SS amp. (I've read that the power amp section of the B100SST is basically the same as the 2BSST).

I tried the B100SST as an integrated first, & while it has a lot of great qualities, eventually thought it sounded a tad "bright", & got fatiguing after awhile. But used as a power amp only--wow!--it sounds beautiful IMO; so I'm thinking it's the pre-amp section that can sound a tad "bright", or "hard". (Of course, I'm comparing a nice tube pre-amp to the preamp section of a SS integrated......)

But I'm intrigued with Bryston now, & thinking of getting a used BP26, hopefully one with phono stage, so I'm wondering: Is the BP26 more "refined", or less bright, than the pre-amp section of the B100SST? Or basically the same sound quality? I could ask how it compares to similarly-priced tube preamps, but that may be for another thread........TIA for any advice........

Daniel Datchev

Bryston B100-SST is actually preamp BP16 and amplifier B2-SST in one chassis. You could check on Stereophile review few years back where they examine all parts, preamp, DAC and amplify section

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
If the preamp section seems 'bright' My response would be: You need a good power conditioner and a decent powercord for it. And perhaps experiment with some better IC connecting the preamp section in it to the amp, instead of using the built in switch to connect them.

IMO most 'brightness' problems are due to no so good AC power.

I never owned your B100SST, I have owned the BP-26 for seven years.
The BP-26 is a top tier preamp.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Old review of BP16 (preamp section of B100) and 2B-SST2 (power section of B100):

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/bryston-bp-16-2b-sst2-amplifiers-608649/review#null

I used the preamp of B100 feeding a 4B-squared for a few years. Very nice.

veloceleste

« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2023, 08:05 pm by veloceleste »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
If the preamp section seems 'bright' My response would be: You need a good power conditioner and a decent powercord for it. And perhaps experiment with some better IC connecting the preamp section in it to the amp, instead of using the built in switch to connect them.

IMO most 'brightness' problems are due to no so good AC power.

Stumbled across this video from Shunyata:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6f1kwyZbM8