Best monoblocks for M3 Trodes

Wwp347

Best monoblocks for M3 Trodes
« on: 27 Mar 2018, 12:08 am »
I have been looking around for monobloc power for the new M3 triodes that are headed my way. I have usually had a balance system and have very good balanced cables. I have garden hose sized silver speaker cables from an older system which included Dunlavy sixes and audio research Hybrid mono blocks.

I enjoy a full detailed broad soundstage with defined Bass and lack of shrillness on the upper end. Musicality is probably most important.

Found these amps for sale:

1. Bel Canto Design REF 1000M
2. Odyssey Stratos
3. Primaluna Dialogue 7 Mono-block Amplifiers ( not balanced )
4. Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks
5. Vidar monoblocks
6. Nuprime ST-10M. (balanced?).

Thoughts? Recommendations?

sumoking

Re: Best monoblocks for M3 Trodes
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2018, 03:55 am »
Digital Amp Company Cherries Desktop Mono Blocks...
Perfect match for the Spatials M3's

jseymour

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2018, 12:03 pm »
Driving my M3TMs with Vidars.  Very happy with the sound.  It was a big step up from the Class D Audio SDS-470 they replaced.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2018, 03:40 pm »
Digital Amp Company Cherries Desktop Mono Blocks...
Perfect match for the Spatials M3's

Can't disagree with that. There is Class D and then there is SOTA Class D. Regardless of price, the Cherries lay waste to every tube amp I've heard.  :green:

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2018, 11:30 pm »
I have not heard a speaker that didn't work perfectly with Digital Amp's amps.
I haven't heard them with Spatials but don't doubt that they would excel there too.
When I get my Mega I know an M3 owner whom I hope to visit...

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2018, 04:05 am »
I've owned M3 TS's and then TM's for two years now and in that time I have tried them with Job 225, Odyssey Kismet, W4S mAmps, Nord One Up, and Nuprime ST-10.  The winner with both configurations of the speaker has been the ST-10.  My Spatial's are in the Family Room system in a room that is 23'x28'x10 with a 6' opening in front of the speakers that leads to the kitchen/breakfast room so in effect and even larger area.  Unless your room is larger or you just feel the need for Mono's the stereo ST-10 which is Balanced is more than enough.  As to the Cherry amps I have never heard them and have no opinion as to whether or not they are "the best" of Class D or a perfect fit for every speaker made.  I've got one of the Mivera Purepower amps based on the newest Icepower modules coming in the next few weeks so we will see how it stacks up. 

Chris_B

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2018, 03:16 pm »
I've owned M3 TS's and then TM's for two years now and in that time I have tried them with Job 225, Odyssey Kismet, W4S mAmps, Nord One Up, and Nuprime ST-10.  The winner with both configurations of the speaker has been the ST-10.  My Spatial's are in the Family Room system in a room that is 23'x28'x10 with a 6' opening in front of the speakers that leads to the kitchen/breakfast room so in effect and even larger area.  Unless your room is larger or you just feel the need for Mono's the stereo ST-10 which is Balanced is more than enough.  As to the Cherry amps I have never heard them and have no opinion as to whether or not they are "the best" of Class D or a perfect fit for every speaker made.  I've got one of the Mivera Purepower amps based on the newest Icepower modules coming in the next few weeks so we will see how it stacks up.

Hi Jack - do you remember what M3's sounded like with the Odyssey Kismets?  I'm asking to see how the M3's handled with relatively beefy solid state amps like the Odysseys.

Thanks,

Chris

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2018, 04:04 pm »
Can't disagree with that. There is Class D and then there is SOTA Class D. Regardless of price, the Cherries lay waste to every tube amp I've heard.  :green:

I think I know part of why well done class D does so well.  Music often has very hard, very fast, very short transients.  So an amp is often clipping for a microsecond during this.  And tube amps clip more gracefully than SS amps.  Class D on the other hand has so much power and headroom on tap, that they never really clip, so they always sound their best. 

Oh, and my first choice would be a robust tube amp like Don Sachs' Kootenay amp.  For digital, the DAC Maraschinos are the best I've heard (and probably the only Class D amps I'd be able to live with, based on their lack of edge, grain and overall pleasant tonal balance).

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2018, 05:19 pm »
Tyson,

Have you heard the Maraschino’s or Don Sach’s amp in your home? I bet if you did, the Maraschino’s would stomp all over Don’s amp. Simply put there isn’t PP tube amp that can compete with with a half decent SET. And based on my experience with 6 different SETs, there isn’t a SET that can compete with the Maraschino’s.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2018, 06:35 pm by Wind Chaser »

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2018, 05:47 pm »
I have been driving my M3TM's with a Shindo Montille 6V6 push pull amp and am very pleased with the results.  I tried the Red Dragon amps when I first bought the M3s  (before updating to TM) and preferred the Shindo.  And the Shindo, a PP amp, has bested several other amps in my system, the latest being a First Watt.  Currently I am trying a Sean Casper built 2A3 amp and it is very nice and may well best the Shindo - time will tell.  But keep an open mind regarding amp types and let your ears decide.  The Spatial speakers seem happy with a wide range of amplifiers.

debjit.g

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2018, 06:19 pm »
When I had my M3 TS, I asked Clayton about a matching amp and he replied that the LTA amps are the best he has heard with the M3's. I think LTA also provides 15day in-home audition.

dspringham

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2018, 07:34 pm »
Tyson,

Have you heard the Maraschino’s or Don Sach’s amp in your home? I bet if you did, the Maraschino’s would stomp all over Don’s amp. Simply put there isn’t PP tube amp that can compete with with a half decent SET. And based on my experience with 6 different SETs, there isn’t a SET that can compete with the Maraschino’s.  :wink:

Hey Wind,

Which model Maraschino do you have? Which power supply option?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2018, 09:09 pm »
Tyson,

I've not had either in my home.  I've got the "scaled down" version of Don's amp that I DIY'd several years ago (the Octal based VTA ST-70 w/KT66 tubes).  And I've only heard the DAC amps the past 3 years at RMAF (they got better every year).  My speakers are a super easy load, which is really a pre-condition for a tube amp to sound it's best, IME. 

Anyway, someday I'll have to get a DAC amp in here and do a proper shootout. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2018, 10:32 pm »
Hey Wind,

Which model Maraschino do you have? Which power supply option?

King 48  :D

mfsoa

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2018, 10:48 pm »
Although I've only heard a stereo DAC Megaschino vs. top of the line Marachinos (King?) and not on Spatial speakers but on Tekton Double Impacts, I can hazard a wild guess that a pair of Mega Monos, with or without the extra capacitance, would work very well for you. Very very well.

JackD

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2018, 04:04 am »
Chris

The Kismet was good with the Turbo S's I never tried it with the TM's as the system the Spatial's are in is balanced and the Kismets would require Neutrik adaptors.  My TM's are in a big room so they need horsepower.  An alternative to the ST-10 monos (which would be my choice) would be the Nord One Up monos as the Nord was very close to the ST-10 with the TM's but not the TS's for some reason. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2018, 06:49 am »
I've not had either in my home.  I've got the "scaled down" version of Don's amp that I DIY'd several years ago (the Octal based VTA ST-70 w/KT66 tubes).  And I've only heard the DAC amps the past 3 years at RMAF (they got better every year).  My speakers are a super easy load, which is really a pre-condition for a tube amp to sound it's best, IME. 

Anyway, someday I'll have to get a DAC amp in here and do a proper shootout.

I heard the Don Sach amp on my Super V's and it was simply magic to my ears. I don't think anything could stomp it but I will soon get to hear a new class D amp in the same set up so we shall see.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2018, 02:57 am »
Hey Greg,

Did you ever get a chance to compare a Class D amp to your other amp? If so, which Class D amp and what was the outcome?

JackD

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2018, 04:14 am »
He had Michael's Purepower SE for a while before Michael got back.

who?me?

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2018, 04:50 am »
"1. Bel Canto Design REF 1000M
2. Odyssey Stratos
3. Primaluna Dialogue 7 Mono-block Amplifiers ( not balanced )
4. Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks
5. Vidar monoblocks
6. Nuprime ST-10M. (balanced?).

Thoughts? Recommendations?"

I bet the PL Dialogue 7s would be fantastic, that is probably a lot of heat generation.
There is at least one guy in the forums that runs the Vidar Monos with success, but again, they run a lil warm
There should be a good match with at least one of the NuPrime products.

Has Anyone listened to a pair of Bel Canto Ref600Ms driving the M3TMs?
I'm about to try a Bel Canto Ref500S, will let ya know...

You might even just email that list of amps to Clayton and ask for his input.
I would assume he could also rec a NuPrime model for the M3TMs, probably played one at a trade show.