Finally, a formal review of the Hyperion 968!

Dracule1

• Facilitator

Dracule1

• Facilitator
Re: Finally, a formal review of the Hyperion 968!
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2007, 06:23 pm »
BTW, look at the picture of the 968 next to the Opera Audio Cyber 211 SETs (3rd picture from the last).  There is a ghostly image of a little girl reflected on the gloss finish of the speakers.  Wonder if the reviewer realize he captured his daughter(?) on the speakers.  :lol:

nigi25

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2007, 08:40 pm »
I've enjoyed the John Potis review, and after about two months of listening to the 968 I agree with his opinion; now my question is: which is the best preamp and power amp to drive the 968?
I'm using my old Audible Illusions modulus 3 and Muse one hundred.
I'm thinking about Sonic Euphoria preamp or Modwright 36.5 (that is more expensive) and Bel Canto Design or Nuforce 9.
Do you bhave any experience with these combinations?

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2007, 04:48 pm »
I have not used any of those combinations with the 938s.  But I have owned the AI Modulus 3 in the past, liked its sound but horrible service and below average reliability.  In general, I like the sound of tubes on the 938s more so than solid state, as I have tried both and heard them on other systems with the 938s. 

Delacroix

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2007, 05:09 pm »
The 6 moons review is very positive but really goes on about the bass and warmth of the sound which makes me worry that this model is perhaps too bassy. the comparison with the Thiels, which I think have the bass about right, lends me to consider the 968s are more like (obviously) the Watt Puppy combos which all sound too bassy for me, while others obviously think them perfect. So it the Puppy the real comparison here (in every way but price :)  Any thoughts?

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2007, 05:28 pm »
I have heard almost every iteration of the Watt/Puppy except the very latest version.  I would no way consider the bass of the 938 to be warm (if you're implying a bloomy bass).  If you feed underpowered tube amp, yes it will sound bloomy as most other conventional speakers will.  I find it to be tight, dynamic, and well extended provided you have the right amp with enough juice.  From those who own the 968s, they find the bass of the 968s to be tighter, more dynamic, and better controlled than the 938s.  I don't find the bass of the Watt/Puppy as tuneful as the 938s.  From midrange on up, the 938s beat the Watt/Puppy by a good margin IMHO.

ndeslions

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2007, 07:51 am »
In general, I like the sound of tubes on the 938s more so than solid state, as I have tried both and heard them on other systems with the 938s. 

Me too.
The Hyperion are easy loads, definitely tube friendly.

Delacroix

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2007, 07:44 pm »
It's quiet here but has anyone else heard enough of the 968's to post an informed opinion.....I know people compare them to the Watt Puppy but beyond that obviously similar look, are there other speakers that are comparable?

ed10g

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2007, 09:46 am »
I read that Marc Yun from Bound for Sound did a review of the Hyperion 938 but could not find the review.  Can someone with that review post it here or send it to me?  Thanks.