Upgrade dilemma B3 -SST2 & pre- power

Wim J

Upgrade dilemma B3 -SST2 & pre- power
« on: 9 May 2018, 08:51 am »
A simple question, what would you choose?
A cubed preamp with SST2 poweramp, or non-cubed preamp with cubed power amp.

:scratch:

TJ-Sully

Re: Upgrade dilemma B3 -SST2 & pre- power
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2018, 10:42 am »
ohhh...the dilemma's.

I would say it depends on your pre-amp. If you already have a BP25 or BP26, i'd be inclined to upgrade the SST2 to a cubed series power amp.

But if you're running a lesser quality pre-amp and already have the SST2 power amp - I'd be inclined to upgrade the pre-amp first before going to a cubed series in the power amp.

TJ

Wim J

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2018, 12:42 pm »
I have the BP26 and 3BSST2....

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2018, 04:29 pm »
I'd take it a few steps further...
Buy a 24B3, remove the filter from your loudspeakers (or bypass it somehow), buy a studio grade active filter and go active... That is my dream.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2018, 09:56 pm »

Go for the cubed power amp. Hands down in my books.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2018, 07:20 pm »
Hi Wim J, did you make a decision or conduct any more research on this dilemma yet?
It would be very interesting to have an opportunity listen to both scenarios.

Anyone here tested the BP17cubed with a 3BSST2 or 4BSST2 vs. BP26 & cubed amp?

TJ

rob80b

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2018, 08:43 pm »
Like Wim J and many we do succumb to the bug every once in a while and I've recently been asking myself the exact same question…. My last episode of upgraditis had me trading in my 4bSST for a 3BSST2 …..not too sure I heard much if any difference, …at least not as much as my previous bought  from a 3BST to the 4BSST, maybe an even sweeter/natural top end …ether way both 3Bs were completely silent as my 4BSST always had a problematic hum through the speakers, which was somewhat alleviated with a trip to service but not completely.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54870.20
As much as I could value the power reserves on tap with the 4B… in my modest 10x15x9.5 room the 3s seemed more than sufficient running Dynaudio Special 25s crossed over at 80hz with a Velodyne DD12 at hefty volumes without obvious strain.

But I digress …all this talk about the Cubed series obviously makes one very curious…not that I can afford any changes or upgrades at the moment but I did happen to stop in at as a “rare” local audio-shop over the weekend and had a listen to some Harbeths and some associated “tube gear” and while this combo sounded quite convincing on some genres...vocal and sparser ensembles it was only once getting home and putting my system through similar paces that could I really appreciate my systems dynamics and capabilities which I’m sort of  putting on the shoulders of the Bryston 3BSST2... which sounded less strident, more comfortable and composed with all likes of music.

so.."Simple question"...tough answer.

Upgraditis also has me looking at the highly received BP17 cubed but my current (no cat calls please) Emotiva XSP-1 Gen2  pre-amp, which actually replaced previous BP25P, still has a necessary function for my setup and that’s not only a HT pass-through but also incorporates 2.1 to accommodate the .1 sub out from the AVP…again a very clean an non-obtrusive pre-amp and a good match IMHO for the Bryston amp but I’ve absolutely no clue how it would compare to the newer Bryston pre.
Anyway all I wish to say is that with the BCD-1 as source my system sounds stellar and totally gratifying…not too sure what the Cubes would bring to the table… but many I see have noted an improvement.
So to answer Win J's inquiry …tough question :scratch:…while the BP26 is a fine pre-amp, very similar if not identical to the BP25……  if we can produce an even finer, less distorted and more engaging signal upstream I’d probably start with the BP17 “cubed” as the 3Bs just amplifying what it’s receiving.
Another way to look at is that if we see the pre and amp as a complete amplification chain much like an integrated… probably just the pre-amp section would have the inclusion of the newer and improved "Salomie" input stage circuitry. 

« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2018, 10:07 pm by rob80b »

jaxwired

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2018, 01:47 am »
No brainer IMO, go for the cubed amp.  Your preamp is already superb.  The cubed amps are shockingly good.  I’ve owned the sst2 amps and I thought they were fanatastic until I heard a 4b3.  A whole new level I didn’t even think was possible.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2018, 02:14 am »
For 'other' approval of the Bryston BP-26... The Absolute Sound just gave it a 'recommended' rating. I own Bryston BP-26 so I was pleasantly surprised.
On the other hand I just bought a pair of Magnepan 20.7s
And I was thinking of upgrading my 4B-SST², but I went for a $7000 SACD player as being more upgrade than a new amplifier. (I was waffling between a pair of used 7B3 or new 4B3 anyway... and still not sure which I would do.. if I did it in the future. I really do not 'need' the 7B3,, but I did not need to 20.7s either!) So I am happily using the 4B-SST² with my 20.7 maggies.

So I would say to look at your whole system to really decide what is the best thing (most bang for the buck) to upgrade.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2018, 03:04 pm »

Depending on your speakers' load, go with the cubed preamp (BP17-3). I had a BP17 v1, and it was excellent with my 14B2 power amp. I can guess the 17-cubed may be even better.
At this high level (Bryston), imho the preamp plays a bigger role in shaping SQ than the power amp since you have a 3B2.

rob80b

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2018, 04:44 pm »
So I would say to look at your whole system to really decide what is the best thing (most bang for the buck) to upgrade.

Wise words we should all heed....but sometimes upgraditis defies all logic. :oops:

Jaxwired’s reply would have us jumping on a new Cubed......

to quote Hi-Fi-News and assuming this would apply to the 3B...
http://www.technologyfactory.com/reviews/Bryston/Bryston-4B-Hi-Fi-News.pdf
"low distortion of the 4B SST2 are virtually unchanged in the 4B3.
….
…….. With the balanced (differential) input now also cascaded, and careful attention paid to RF filtering throughout, the 4B3  boasts far higher common-mode and power supply rejection ratios. We get a clue to this in the changed ultrasonic response of the 4B3 and, critically, in the ‘darker’ backgrounds and more open soundstaging it offers

and that for many would be more than enough to justify an upgrade. :D

Depending on your speakers' load, go with the cubed preamp (BP17-3). …….
At this high level (Bryston), imho the preamp plays a bigger role in shaping SQ than the power amp since you have a 3B2.

I’m sort of siding CM on this one…..
………. from the SST2 review 2009
http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/bryston-4b-sst2-pound;4000/9206
“VERDICT
More than simply workmanlike, the sound of Bryston’s 4B SST2 is highly lucid and infectiously engaging. With its lack of ‘grain’ and tremendous clarity it will have you discovering subtle details in recordings that may previously have gone unnoticed.”

And even in the face of substantiated measurements some could still go so far as to say we’re dealing with the “emperor's new clothes”. :nono:

“I bought the 4B3 amp and sold it fairly quick.  I lost a considerable amount of soundstage on the top end compared with my older CJ solid state amp.  ……..”
:scratch:

So to the OP…(if you’re still around ) ”simple question” …but not so simple to come up with a definitive answer…but like Elizabeth posted best to look at your whole system and decide where you feel it needs improvement and what would be the best route to pursue..

As for myself.... a Cubed something or other might be in the works later in the future but my audition last Sunday made me appreciate my Bryston components a whole lot more.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2018, 06:50 pm by rob80b »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2018, 04:58 pm »
"…….. With the balanced (differential) input now also cascaded, and careful attention paid to RF filtering throughout, the 4B3  boasts far higher common-mode and power supply rejection ratios. We get a clue to this in the changed ultrasonic response of the 4B3 and, critically, in the ‘darker’ backgrounds and more open soundstaging it offers"

If my system's soundstage was even more "open", I would have to stick my head out the window to hear it all.... :lol:

cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2018, 05:00 pm »
"…….. With the balanced (differential) input now also cascaded, and careful attention paid to RF filtering throughout, the 4B3  boasts far higher common-mode and power supply rejection ratios. We get a clue to this in the changed ultrasonic response of the 4B3 and, critically, in the ‘darker’ backgrounds and more open soundstaging it offers"

If my system's soundstage was even more "open", I would have to stick my head out the window to hear it all.... :lol:

cheers

Good one !!!

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2018, 10:25 am »
Spend the "upgrading money" on room improvements and you'll get WAAAY more bang for the buck...

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2018, 12:40 pm »
It is just as easy to find ways to do the room without spending ANYTHING.
One does not need official overpriced audiophile approved $$$$$ stuff to adjust the room.
YOu can do it with pictures, bookshelves, drapes you already have.
And mainly speaker location... which is just a lot of work.

rob80b

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2018, 01:06 pm »
Spend the "upgrading money" on room improvements and you'll get WAAAY more bang for the buck...

That absolutely holds true for controlling speaker/room response and will indeed offer the most gains when first tuning ones system but from the OP we would need to know more in terms of associated equipment, room size and environment and possibly music choice and listening preferences….and what they feel is lacking or needs to be improved, too grainy, no dynamics, lack of bass, sibilant treble, shallow and narrow sound stage, boomy bass, too warm, too cool...etc...etc.
With regards to "music choice and listening preferences" I’m a big advocate that a properly tuned audio system that will not favor any specific genres but reproduce sound as faithfully as possible regardless if one's music choice is Def Leppard at hefty levels or a Bach string quartet playing in the backround. Now if one wishes to “enhance” specific music preferences and listening habits that’s another field of endeavor.
The 3BSST2 and BP26 are already highly acclaimed and accomplished components and definitely meet the requirements needed for a “properly tuned system”…and at that point we’re getting into fine tuning….I can only go by what others have reported but I'm seeing the Cubed series as a “you don’t know what you got till it’s gone”...Ref: ("attention paid to RF filtering throughout, the 4B3  boasts far higher common-mode and power supply rejection ratios")

To quote another review….
https://glorioussound.com/bryston-4b3-cubed-series/

“First my own brief summary of the  improvements of the Bryston Cubed series over the SST2.
•   More depth and soundstage
•   More detail in low frequencies
•   Overall more relaxed and quiet background
•   Dynamics are improved
•   Voices have an more emotional involving fuller sound. “

jaxwired

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2018, 08:40 pm »
Wise words we should all heed....but sometimes upgraditis defies all logic. :oops:

Jaxwired’s reply would have us jumping on a new Cubed......

Just reporting my experience. To my ears the cubed amps are somehow noticeably more transparent and at the same time sound more natural. 

jaxwired

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2018, 08:51 pm »

Completely disagree but not surprised at this post as people always love to champion the amazing and dramatic improvements from room treatments.  I’ve never found this to be the case.  Yes, speaker placement matters but that requires no money in vested.  And frankly for most speakers I’ve owned simply avoiding corners and pushing too close to the rear wall is all the magic advice that is required.  As for room treatments I’ve found them to do very little.  In fact I don’t think I’ve ever had a change to electronics or speakers in my long participation in this hobby that didn’t produce more noticeable changes than room treatments.  And BTW, there isn’t even any agreement on exactly what room treatments should be utilized.  Materials and advice are all over the map.  I tend to agree with Elizabeth on this that your furnishings and home decor should work just fine.  Obviously don’t setup your sytem in an empty basketball gym. 

veloceleste

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jun 2018, 09:08 pm »
Completely disagree but not surprised at this post as people always love to champion the amazing and dramatic improvements from room treatments.  I’ve never found this to be the case.  Yes, speaker placement matters but that requires no money in vested.  And frankly for most speakers I’ve owned simply avoiding corners and pushing too close to the rear wall is all the magic advice that is required.  As for room treatments I’ve found them to do very little.  In fact I don’t think I’ve ever had a change to electronics or speakers in my long participation in this hobby that didn’t produce more noticeable changes than room treatments.  And BTW, there isn’t even any agreement on exactly what room treatments should be utilized.  Materials and advice are all over the map.  I tend to agree with Elizabeth on this that your furnishings and home decor should work just fine.  Obviously don’t setup your sytem in an empty basketball gym.
It depends on the room. The room my main system is in has obvious problems with suckout and boundary reinforcement. You can walk around the room and hear the bass disappear and reappear in different locations. No amount of  moving speakers, furniture, listening position or room re-arrangement solved the problem.  It was a bad room for music reproduction. I finally bought some ASC tube traps and they made a tremendous difference. The issues are still there, but to a much smaller degree.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2023, 08:32 pm by veloceleste »

rob80b

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2018, 09:36 pm »
Just reporting my experience. To my ears the cubed amps are somehow noticeably more transparent and at the same time sound more natural.

Like I said... :thumb:
and that for many would be more than enough to justify an upgrade. :D