What is amplifier gain for IDA-16?

newaudio11

What is amplifier gain for IDA-16?
« on: 1 Apr 2019, 01:50 am »
I recently acquired a year old IDA-16 and have been trying to figure out why the output power doesn't seem much improved over the 80 wpc
integrated it replaced.  The only thing I can think of is the gain is lower but I can't seem to find the specs and it isn't in the manual.
I did find x 22 for the ST-9 or maybe it was the 10.  Can anyone tell me what is the gain for the IDA-16?  thanks   

rustydoglim

Re: What is amplifier gain for IDA-16?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2019, 06:34 pm »
I will find out, looks like we forgot to publish it.
What kind of speakers are you using? A basic test is to use a sound meter (I think smartphone has some sort of free app) to measure the output of your speaker using a test tone with each amp. Turn up the volume until the sound distort (could be due to speaker or amp) or amp clips or even shutdown (over current protection by the power supply).

newaudio11

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2019, 09:18 pm »
Thank you for looking into this.
I think I read this has as much of an impact as the published wpc.
I do have a little db meter and that is what I have been using as a baseline.
However, I might not have paid as much attention on my previous amplifier so your idea is a good one to do an A/B.

Now as a maybe an extreme example, through the analog in from my Orbit phono-pre, I had the volume at 80 the other day and could barely hit 75db peaks.
This was on a mix of old an new records.  However, it seems even on the coax from my cd player, I need to get to 50-60 to have the sound fully developed.
It might just be the linearity of the volume on the 16 but I never went over 60 on my old amp and could have peaks of 97, depending on recording of course.
Old amp was Onkyo A-9555.

I have Nestorovic Type 5AS MKIII speakers, these are 91db 8 ohm rated but drop to 4 ohms.
These are older speakers I have had for a bit more than a year.  I have a Music Hall CD 25 and Uturn Orbit TT.
Plan on using the USB as well to test out higher res files.

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2019, 05:11 pm »
Since IDA-16 is an integrated amp, we can only provide some gain values at volume settings:

Volume 94
digital input, gain = 59
analog input, gain = 28.5

And this coincides with your observation. We expect the analog input to come from sources that have 2V max output.
So you might want to check your phono preamp gain.