Jazz dens in San Francisco . .

jimdgoulding

Jazz dens in San Francisco . .
« on: 19 Jun 2013, 07:50 pm »
When I lived there, I knew them all.  I'm taking my daughter to The City for her birthday and googled to find some hangs.  Jeez, like all I could find were supper clubs and that doesn't strike a chord with me at all.  Took her to New York for her 21st birthday and managed to catch Renee Rosnes with Chris Potter in a quintet at Small's.  That was cool.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.  Ms. Rosnes, the album I have:

Sonny

Re: Jazz dens in San Francisco . .
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2013, 07:55 pm »
Try of course Yoshi's both in SF and Oakland, but Rasaelus is down the block from Yoshi's SF.  There' a number of them in the SF / Oakland...
Do a quick search and you will see.  I take it you want a bar type jazz club...right, not concert like?

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2013, 07:59 pm »
I'm not into jazz really, but I drive by this and it looks quite impressive.

http://www.sfjazz.org/center

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2013, 08:02 pm »
Try of course Yoshi's both in SF and Oakland, but Rasaelus is down the block from Yoshi's SF.  There' a number of them in the SF / Oakland...
Do a quick search and you will see.  I take it you want a bar type jazz club...right, not concert like?
Thanks, Sonny, and that would be correct.  I am aware of Yoshi's but not the other one.  Checking it out online.

watercourse

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2013, 05:34 pm »
Sorry for the late response, check out jazzwest.com for local listings on their calendar. All of the locations are smaller jazz spots.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2013, 07:03 am »
Sorry for the late response, check out jazzwest.com for local listings on their calendar. All of the locations are smaller jazz spots.
Sorry for the late reply.  Thanks, man.

95Dyna

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2013, 02:13 am »
Is The Blackhawk still open?  If you go there on Friday or Saturday night you just might encounter the ghost of one Miles Davis.  If not get Impex Records 180g 2LP remaster of Columbia C2S 820.  Sit in a dimly lit room with your daughter, close your eyes and you're there. 

If you think this to be a thinly veiled plug for this recording you would be correct. Anyway, good luck with your endeavor.  I have one of those too (a daughter) and had the opportunity see Ron Carter with her in the basement bar at the Empire Hotel in NYC the same weekend we had front row tickets at the Lincoln Center across the street to see the Nutcracker.  Ah, the memories.  :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2013, 02:26 am »

[/quote

This is brand new.  Opened about 2 months ago!
I have not checked it out.  Let me know what you think if you get to see anything there.

T

galyons

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2013, 03:04 am »

It is an amazing venue for jazz.  Not exactly the stereotypical vision of a smoke filled walk-down, the music liberally spiced with ambient conversation and clinking glasses.  But, we are blessed with the jazz center!

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2013, 04:56 am by galyons »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2013, 04:34 am »
Is The Blackhawk still open?  If you go there on Friday or Saturday night you just might encounter the ghost of one Miles Davis.  If not get Impex Records 180g 2LP remaster of Columbia C2S 820.  Sit in a dimly lit room with your daughter, close your eyes and you're there. 

If you think this to be a thinly veiled plug for this recording you would be correct. Anyway, good luck with your endeavor.  I have one of those too (a daughter) and had the opportunity see Ron Carter with her in the basement bar at the Empire Hotel in NYC the same weekend we had front row tickets at the Lincoln Center across the street to see the Nutcracker.  Ah, the memories.  :thumb:
It closed around '62.