qobuz

gtaphile

Re: qobuz
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2019, 01:41 pm »
To enjoy Qubuz from Canada...if one logs into Qubuz through a US browser (via Hola in Canada) will it work on the BDP?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2019, 02:30 pm »
Chris/James,

With Qobuz integration, will the BDP-3 Buffer the incoming signal as it will require a bit more bandwidth to stream 24b/192k music content.

And does BDP-3 buffer the signal to a DAC like BDA-3. , some music streamers/players buffer the digital signal to improve or maintain a signal to the DAC, thus improving the sound reproduction???   Has Bryston experimented with the use of buffers in the digital path - better or no difference in sound reproduction?

Luigi

Hi Luigi,

We are playing around with a couple of techniques to handle playback, however we also have devices with limited amounts of memory that we would also like to support like the BDP-1.  Currently we've settled on a system that buffers up to 4MB of data, the BDP-2 & 3 have enough system memory that we thought about buffering the entire track in system memory, but the BDP-1 certain can't handle this a some longer high res tracks made it a no go for the BDP-Pi as well.  We still have some more testing to see how resilient the method works but and average internet connection should be fine, by average I mean 40-100Mb/s.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2019, 02:33 pm »
To enjoy Qubuz from Canada...if one logs into Qubuz through a US browser (via Hola in Canada) will it work on the BDP?

Not likely, i tried setting up a UK account for testing and i needed a credit card registered to the UK

gtaphile

« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2019, 02:49 pm »
Not likely, i tried setting up a UK account for testing and i needed a credit card registered to the UK

If one has that and a US zip code. then it should work.   NO?

gbaby

« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2019, 04:32 pm »
Hi,

I think you are missing my point around the buffering question, some streamers/players do buffering between the player and DAC and they say that this improves the sound reproduction.

Therefore, I am asking if Bryston if BDP does this in some way and if they have experimented with buffering on both the source and the receiving output device like a DAC -> BDA-3?

There is no buffering from the BDP-3 to the BDA-3. If you pull out a USB flash drive from the BDP-3, it will play for a while before it stops due to the buffering. If you disconnect the BDA-3, it will just become silent as there is nothing converting the signal to analog.

gdbalp

« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2019, 04:10 am »
Hi Luigi,

We are playing around with a couple of techniques to handle playback, however we also have devices with limited amounts of memory that we would also like to support like the BDP-1.  Currently we've settled on a system that buffers up to 4MB of data, the BDP-2 & 3 have enough system memory that we thought about buffering the entire track in system memory, but the BDP-1 certain can't handle this a some longer high res tracks made it a no go for the BDP-Pi as well.  We still have some more testing to see how resilient the method works but and average internet connection should be fine, by average I mean 40-100Mb/s.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Interesting response, some challenges for Qobuz integration...

Luigi

dB Cooper

« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2019, 04:37 am »
I got a Qobuz trial card at Capital Audiofest and was not impressed enough to drop Tidal. It took no time at all to find a lot of things that Tidal had but Qobuz didn't. Now they say their entire planned library isn't up yet... Well let us know.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2019, 06:13 pm »
I would recommend against using Hola.

See the Conclusions and Recommendations section of TrendMicro's research paper https://documents.trendmicro.com/assets/white_papers/wp-illuminating-holaVPN-and-the-danger-it-poses.pdf if you want a quick breakdown.

gtaphile

« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2019, 09:23 pm »
I would recommend against using Hola.

See the Conclusions and Recommendations section of TrendMicro's research paper https://documents.trendmicro.com/assets/white_papers/wp-illuminating-holaVPN-and-the-danger-it-poses.pdf if you want a quick breakdown.

Thanks for the tip. I'll select another safer VPN service.

skunark

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2019, 04:59 am »
It's rather nice to see high-res files stream without an issue to the swarm of raspberry PIs I have, can't wait for the BDP to support this.

It's probably too early to judge, but the on the iPhone, there is a difference in sound, mostly noticed Qobuz is louder.   Playback on the raspberry pi seems similar though and the app controlling both tidal and qobuz seems snappy on searches and usability, kinda fun to build a playlist between both services and local files. 

One huge advantage with Qobuz over Tidal and the other download services, I can actually find high-res music for more current artists.

Jim

Norton

« Reply #30 on: 24 Feb 2019, 12:05 pm »
we would also like to support like the BDP-1. 

Good to hear that us BDP1 users are not forgotten.  I’m impressed that  Bryston  not only supports kit that’s been out of production for some years, but even offers ongoing development such as this.

Krutsch

« Reply #31 on: 5 Mar 2019, 03:30 am »
Good to hear that us BDP1 users are not forgotten.  I’m impressed that Bryston not only supports kit that’s been out of production for some years, but even offers ongoing development such as this.

+1 on Bryston's continued support for discontinued products.

I've been using both TIDAL and Qobuz for a while now, via Roon and a BDP-1. Works flawlessly over my 150 Mbps internet connection and sounds wonderful. Even works without issue with a Wi-Fi bridge into the BDP-1's 100 Mbps ethernet connection.

Roon is still having some teething issues with Qobuz, but with these two services together, you have on-demand access to just about everything ever published by a major record label.

skunark

« Reply #32 on: 10 Mar 2019, 06:19 pm »
After a week or so of using Qobuz, i’m finding several albums missing from their library.   I like the iOS app better than Tidal’s, there are more Hirez music I like on Qobuz too.   Just not sure HiRez at home trumps the convenience of a larger library.   I hope they address this shortfall soon, as i really cant stand Tidals interference.

Pundamilia

« Reply #34 on: 8 Apr 2019, 04:56 pm »
Wow! Without a doubt, that is the longest URL I have ever seen! :o

Where does one get the firmware update to support Qobuz? The last firmware version showing in the Update Firmware function is 2018-10-22.

« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2019, 07:29 pm by Pundamilia »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #35 on: 8 Apr 2019, 07:57 pm »
Wow! Without a doubt, that is the longest URL I have ever seen! :o

Where does one get the firmware update to support Qobuz? The last firmware version showing in the Update Firmware function is 2018-10-22.

Hi

You have to download the BETA version of the software.

james

Calypte

« Reply #36 on: 8 Apr 2019, 09:26 pm »
Hi

You have to download the BETA version of the software.

james

Oh, dear!  I hope it's better than the last version!

davidtgoh

« Reply #37 on: 8 Apr 2019, 10:06 pm »
So appreciate the Qobuz capacity.  Just got things working.

Took me a bit of digging to find the Beta:

"Once at the Update Firmware page, add "#beta" to the end of the url, push enter, then refresh the page."

http://192.168.1.84/bryston/views/default.php#

**I see tonight the Firmware is in official status on my BDP

« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2019, 02:20 am by davidtgoh »

Mesanjah05

« Reply #38 on: 9 Apr 2019, 03:26 pm »
A family member has the Bryston Pi, will qobuz work with this unit?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #39 on: 9 Apr 2019, 04:22 pm »
A family member has the Bryston Pi, will qobuz work with this unit?

Hi

Yes it will.

james