Ridge Street Audio Poiema Speaker Cable

Lak

« on: 7 Feb 2004, 01:04 pm »
Review: Ridge Street Audio Poiema Speaker cable

I first heard and wrote a review about the Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition (MSE) Interconnects and Speaker Cables in May of 2003 (all on Audiogon). This was followed up by a review of the MSE Gen. II Interconnects in August 2003, the MSE Gen. II Speaker Cables in October 2003, and the MSE Gen. II Digital Link. Since that time, Robert C. Schult, proprietor/designer, has developed what he considers his most revealing interconnect and speaker cable named Poiema. While I’m still waiting to audition the Poiema interconnects; I have in my possession a pair of the Poiema speaker cables.

I thought the MSE Gen. II sounded fantastic and I tried to imagine how Robert could improve the sound of the MSE Gen. II speaker cables. Technically speaking, I have no idea what Robert did. However, I can definitely hear what I would call a 10% to 15% improvement in my tube and SS systems when using the Poiema speaker cables.

Here is how I described the MSE Gen. II speaker cables in my review of October 2003:

“As soon as I installed the Gen. II speaker cables and heard the first minute of the opening track of Hugh Masekela’s “Abangoma,” I knew I was in for a treat! Although the Midnight Silver Edition Gen. II speaker cables improved over the next week of break-in, they sounded more articulate than the original speaker cable--with better detail, greater microdynamics and a powerful and tightly dynamic bass--as soon as they were installed”.

“After carefully listening to my dozen or so audition CDs and a few LPs, I was amazed at the improvement within my system. I noted more bass definition (which was crisper with more focus), additional 3-D imaging left to right as well as front to back, and additional extension and detail as if I were at a live performance”.

The 10% to 15% improvement I heard while using the Poiema speaker cables was in the following areas:

1) Quieter background, which allows one to hear deeper into the recording. This allows greater details to become more obvious. I noticed richer-sounding and more articulate treble, mids, and astounding bass that I never heard that clearly before.
2) The music sounds even more lifelike, as if I was sitting in the same room with a live presentation. Just as the MSE Gen. II interconnects and speaker cables are extremely smooth, fast, neutral, transparent, and allow one to hear deep within the music and convey the force, speed and robustness of a live performance, the Poiema speaker cables do so to a greater extent.

The Poiema speaker cables are very well engineered and constructed. They are attractive to look at and are very flexible, and lightweight. In addition, they have very easy-to-read, yet non-intrusive, directional arrows and are clearly marked “Poiema.”

In conclusion, I realize that audiophile componenty is system dependent, and what sounds good in one system doesn't always work well in another. In this case, the Poiema speaker cable sounds excellent in my tube and solid-state systems, and I highly recommend you give it a try if you're in the market for a new speaker cable. I don't think one could lose with a 30-day money-back return policy.

Associated gear
First Sound Presence Audio Linestage I
CEC TL 5100 Belt Driven CD Transport
Dodson Audio Model DA-217 MK II D (software upgrade to the 218 and added a digital isolation transformer to coax-2 BNC input)
Cary 2A3 Monoblocks that sit upon SP 004 Sistrum Platforms including three direct coupled Audio Points
Optonica Turntable RP-1414 with Goldring 1042 cartridge
Audio Research PH1 phono preamp
Equi=Tech 2Q Power Balancer
Abby Speakers ported, modified Voight pipe with Fostex FE 166 E speakers
Sistrum Platform SP-1 used underneath the Abby speakers
Fostex T90A Horn Super Tweeter
Velodyne F-1200X Subwoofer with Bass Euphoria RAC interconnects
Bybee Quantum Force – single ended Interconnect Filters
Bybee Quantum speaker filters  
Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition Interconnects
Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition Speaker Cables
Ridge Street Audio MSE Tweeter and Woofer Hookup wire
Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition Gen. II Digital Link
Purist Proteus 20 Amp Power Cord for the Equi=Tech 2Q
HV Flavor 4 Cryo’d power cord on the Dodson and Transport
Original Black Mamba’s on the monoblocks
Jena Lab cryo’d power cord on the preamp
Audio Points under all componenty
Sistrum six shelf rack with top plate
Two dedicated Isolation Transformers 220/120 feeding dedicated subpanel
Custom Clear Image Audio T-4 Power Line Isolator
DeZorel Line Filter G2
Dedicated 20 Amp circuits with Wattgate 381, Furutech FP-2G, ACME Silver-plated (cryogenically treated), Hubbell 8300’s and 5362 (cryogenically treated) outlets.
DIY RoomLenses

Similar products
Cardas Golden Reference IC’s and SC.
Maple Shade Clearview IC’s
Silver Audio Appassionata IC's and Silver Symphony 48 SC.
Bear Lab Silver Lighting IC and SC.
Granite Audio # 470 IC
Audience Au24 IC and SC
HMS Topline IC and SC (not the brand new ones they came out with recently).
Pure Note Epsilon Reference IC’s and S/C.
Ridge Street Audio MSE IC’s and S/C
Ridge Street Audio MSE Gen. II IC’s and S/C

audiojerry

« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2004, 04:07 pm »
Nicely done review, LAK.
I appreciate the great efforts you have taken to build a system that is obviously aimed at ultimate transparency, neutrality, and musicality.
When LAK speaks, I listen.

How do you like the Equitech?

Your mentioning of the Dezorel reminds me that I must still sell it and distribute the proceeds to auditioners, provided there is not a net loss to my initial $350 investment.

Lak

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2004, 04:39 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Nicely done review, LAK.
I appreciate the great efforts you have taken to build a system that is obviously aimed at ultimate transparency, neutrality, and musicality.
When LAK speaks, I listen.

How do you like the Equitech?

Your mentioning of the Dezorel reminds me that I must still sell it and distribute the proceeds to auditioners, provided there is not a net loss to my initial $350 investment.

:mrgreen: Thanks for the complement Audiojerry!

I like the Equi=Tech (it has it’s place and purpose), however I think a lot can be accomplished with the use of dedicated circuits, cryo’d outlets and the use of a used 5 KVA isolation transformer.

I owned the Equi=Tech 2Q long before I added the isolation transformers. My power delivery system really opened up and shined with the use of the isolation transformers!

What’s the asking price going to be for the Dezorel :?:

Make me a good deal and I'll take it off your hands :D

Mad DOg

Re: Ridge Street Audio Poiema Speaker Cable
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2004, 07:00 am »
Quote from: Lak
...1) Quieter background, which allows one to hear deeper into the recording. This allows greater details to become more obvious. I noticed richer-sounding and more articulate treble, mids, and astounding bass that I never heard that clearly before.
2) The music sounds even more lifelike, as if I was sitting in the same room with a live presentation. Just as the MSE Gen. II interconnects and speaker cables are extremely smooth, fast, neutral, transparent, and allow one to hear deep within the music and convey the force, speed and robustness of a live performance, the Poiema speaker cables do so to a greater extent. ...

Lak, nice review!  Thanks for taking the time to share it! :D

Let me see if I understand this correctly...Are you saying that the MSE Gen II is leaner sounding across the spectrum than the Poiemas?

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2004, 12:08 pm »
Hi Lak and ACers.

Lak, I'm running out of different ways to say "Thank You" and still have some relevance at the same time! As usual, very nice job communicating your impressions and again, while I know you enjoy doing all this, thanks for your time and efforts.

I suppose one thing I could put into better perspective is the sonic differences between the Poiema! and MSE Gen.II cabling. Both, in my judgment, are wonderful cables that will serve any well assembled system extremely well. Both are reference quality says I. I suppose a novice could interpret the MSE Gen.II cabling as being lean compared to the Poiema! offering. Closer attention will reveal that it's not an issue of leanness but an issue of resolution between the two cables. While both models are very resolving, the Poiema!s are simply better at that than the MSE Gen.IIs. In the wrong system, i.e. a system that does not adequately compliment ones listening biases and preferences, both models could sound lean or, overly warm depending on the system signature. In the right system, i.e. a system that conveys what floats your boat, both models will serve you very well with Poiema! simply relating more of what you enjoy about your system. Anyway...

One other thing I'll briefly touch on and come back to later with more detail. Based on my experience with a myriad of gear and systems and considering all that, I'm not convinced that cabling, or any other single component is "system dependant".  I'm coming to the conclusion that that's realistically a "wrong" way to view putting a system together and only facilitates buying different gear every other day searching for the "Holy Grail" while blaming the equipment for not meeting our undefined system goals. With competent engineering and a keen ear to discern between "Hi-Fi" and the convincing allusion of "Real", a good amp is a good amp, a good cartridge is a good cartridge, a good loud speaker is a good loud speaker and a good cable is a...dare I say, a good cable. There's a whole line of valid thinking behind this but I'll save that for another post or, maybe you have some thoughts of your own along this line.

Right now my toast is burning...later!

wreilly

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2004, 12:47 pm »
Great review Lak! You captured everything I would have said about how the cables "sound".

I have had the Poiema speaker cables, the IC and the MSE digital for a little over a week now.

Unlike you the cables that were replaced resulted in a much greater difference than 10%.

The transparency and depth is what struck me too.

You have already said everything about the quality of the sound. Adding more is not really needed.

One point on the MSE Digital, this is hands down the best digital cable I have, including the Onix GM. With the SS equipment the Onix has a plesant and engaging warmth, with the addition of the AVA gear the additional warmth is already built into the equipment. The MSE Digital provides a new level of transparency.

One thing I think needs to be pointed out again. The Speaker Cable connectors are unlike anything I have seen or used. If I understand Continuios Cast correctly the connectors are the cable; having been molded directly from the cable itself. This is as close to a bare wire connection as you can get and still have a "lug" for the connection.
However the "spade like" connectors are flexable and fragile.

Considering the outstaning performance, the need for careful handling is not a problem. Just a frendly warning that these cables require deft handling.

The only other real problem is that now I have to replace all of my other cables.

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2004, 02:21 pm »
Robert,
You bring up an interesting point about gear being system dependent. I suppose you could say if components are well engineered they should convey an accurate signal regardless of the other components they are used with. There are 3 variables where a component may sound flawed regardless of it's accuracy:

1) The room effects everything. Inaccurate gear may actually sound better than accurate gear due to room interactions.
2) Power. Power quality varies between communities.
3) The listeners personal preferences.

Lak

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2004, 02:26 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg

Let me see if I understand this correctly...Are you saying that the MSE Gen II is leaner sounding across the spectrum than the Poiemas?

Mad DOg,

I would not call the MSE Gen. II leaner sounding across the spectrum. I would rate the MSE Gen. II as an A and the Poiemas as doing it better A+.
I think Robert (above) explained it pretty well.

Best Regards,

Lak

Mad DOg

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2004, 09:41 pm »
Quote from: Lak

Mad DOg,

I would not call the MSE Gen. II leaner sounding across the spectrum. I would rate the MSE Gen. II as an A and the Poiemas as doing it better A+.
I think Robert (above) explained it pretty well.

Best Regards,

Lak

Thanks, Lak!  8) I think the Poiemas might sound great in my system then! I really liked the highs and lows of the MSE Gen IIs so if the Poiemas do those areas even better, and give a little more "fullness" in the mids, then I think this might be the one...

Psychicanimal

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2004, 01:25 am »
Quote from: Robert C. Schult
I'm not convinced that cabling, or any other single component is "system dependant". I'm coming to the conclusion that that's realistically a "wrong" way to view putting a system together and only facilitates buying different gear every other day searching for the "Holy Grail" while blaming the equipment for not meeting our undefined system goals.  

That's right, Robert!

I don't buy that "synergy" crap either... :nono:

...and neither does my little sister--she wanted to keep the MSE Gen II's I tried on her classic NAD 7125 receiver! 8)

The majority of people have no defined system goals and spend their time endlessly buying components.  This does not mean that one's goals must be rigid, but there's got to be an aim, a direction, a particular sound and/or sonic presentation to be had within a budget.  Goals can be ammended or more goals can be added.  In my particular case, I wanted "A near field system capable of successfully playing any recording of any musical genre regardless of recording quality."  Later I added to that something more, that "My analog and digital rigs must sound as close to each other as possible."  That has become the real challenge... :banghead:

Psychicanimal

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2004, 01:32 am »
...if the Poiemas do those areas even better, and give a little more "fullness" in the mids, then I think this might be the one...

Dude, you just don't get it!  :nono:

The Poiemas will not "give" anything--that's precisely the point!

There's a particular interconnect that most likely has what you're looking for: Straightwire Rhapsody II.  For systems like yours is fantastic, reasonably priced and a stellar performer.  Deano brought over two sets along with a pair of Marantz Ma-24 class A SS monoblocks back when I was living in Chicago metro.  I had the unmodified Swans, my Melos tube pre and my Soundstream/Krell DAC.  The sound was robust, dynamic and detailed.  I eventually bought the two sets for my 2 ch HT system ( Yamaha A-1 dual mono integrated, Soundstream/Krell DAC, JVC DVD, Bose 901 IV speakers).  Get two pairs and you'll love them.  Maybe some years down the line you'll be ready for cables at the performance level of the RSA.

With psychic power and primal intensity,

P/A