Follow up on Recent Ridge Street Audio Designs Commentary...

Robert C. Schult

Hi Everyone.

I've been absent for a bit as we've been and still are very busy so please forgive my absence.

Thanks to Mad DOg and John Casler for spending some time with our offerings. I'm glad you too were able to appreciate the virtues of what we're doing.

I wanted to address an issue I perceived in some of the commentary that I felt may leave a false impression.

My premise in designing audio cables is that of extraordinary neutrality and transparency as they partner with a very broad range of gear. These two things are my primary design goals. As with most things in life, this can be good or, it can be less than good. Regardless how hard I try, I find Ridge Street Audio Designs is not exempt from dealing with both. Fortunately, to date I've enjoyed mostly the good and the positive difference we've been able to make with folks who are using our cabling.

Caring not to engage in a profitless debate I'll make this statement for the benefit of those who ascribe to this philosophy; If your electronics have been chosen for virtues that fit your listening biases and preferences and you've assembled a system that reflects the same, our offerings will provide the performance we promise. If one is looking for cabling to "tune" a system to a certain sonic presentation, Ridge Street cabling really becomes a crap shoot...hit or miss to the analytical ear. While using cabling to tune a system is an option and a valid approach, it's not the approach we chose. There are many (I would say even most) fine cables out there that take this approach but again, we're not one of them.

All this to say that it appears there may be a perception that our cables favor valve electronics. This isn't so if that's some of the impression anyone has been left with. What the Ridge Street's do favor is what's being fed from it's source whether it's solid state, valve, digital or X-mas tree lights. During the design process, our cables were auditioned with a myriad of both SS and Valves, moderately priced and expensive. No matter how you cut it, with moderately priced gear, the presentation was satisfying with certain deficiencies that were either acceptable or not but with more ambitious and expensive gear, the presentation could be magical! As well healed users of our products will attest to, our cabling is one of the few offerings I’m aware of that is instructive and musically engaging. They can point to gear or system irritants and/or help contribute to a sonic presentation that truly stirs the soul.

So, I hope I’ve addressed something of relevance here. I would hate to have someone miss an opportunity because they felt our cables only favored one topology over another.

Mad DOg

« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2004, 12:25 am »
Thanks for your input and feedback, Robert!

I HIGHLY encourage others to give your cables (definitely the analog and digital ICs) a try as they are some of the best cables I've heard in my system.  :thumb:

audiojerry

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2004, 07:05 am »
I've already expressed my strong feelings about the MSE GenII, and I don't want to be redundant, so I will just reiterate:
THEY ARE MAGIC!... and they are now my new reference

Can't wait to hear the Poiema

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2004, 07:16 am »
Hey Jerry, Time to update your My System list of equipement. Did you sell that great looking pre-amp ?  :)

Psychicanimal

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2004, 02:47 pm »
When using cables such as these one has to be extremely careful and attentive to the entire system.  These cables will reveal your components and chokes.  When Lak bough over to my place extra sets of MSE and speaker cables I hooked up everything and at that time adding the speaker cables made great recordigs sound fantastic but my so-so ones were not as pleasant.   I told Robert my system was not good enough at that time...

Months later Robert told me that after the changes I had made to my system I could now use RSA cabling throughout (mainly replacing my AIWA changer for a belt drive transport and adding more Goldmund cones along w/ Moca wood boards).  The RSA cables can act as a tool ("instructional") while at the same time being musically enjoyable.

audiojerry

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2004, 07:33 pm »
A funny thing that I can't explain is that every recording now sounds better; even the badly recorded ones. Many CD's that used to be unlistenable, now are, and some are even exceptional now. I'm re-discovering many old CD's that I had written off.

I'm not complaining!  :lol:

Psychicanimal

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2004, 07:59 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
A funny thing that I can't explain is that every recording now sounds better; even the badly recorded ones. Many CD's that used to be unlistenable, now are, and some are even exceptional now. I'm re-discovering many old CD's that I had written off.

My system's like that now--I just had some digital performance and tuning issues.  That's taken care of...