VH Audio Pulsar Digital IC

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 2 Jul 2004, 10:20 pm »
Earlier today I was over Phil's place (thanks again Phil and it is a nice system - especially that Dodson dac) and we were trying different transports (stock Sony S-7700 vs EA modified S-7700) and dacs (Dodson and Electrocompaniet).  As part of this we decided to replace the Audience digital ic with a VH Audio Pulsar.

For all my comments below, the rest of the digital chain was the following:

EA modified Sony S-7700 transport, Dodson 218 DAC.

Well, the differences between the two ic's were not subtle.   :peek:

The Pulsar was much more dynamic on the bottom end.  Percussive instruments not only went deeper, but they were more clearly defined.  They had the proper weight and authority when playing Dave Matthews Band #41 (Crash), the bassline was easier to hear and place with the Pulsar in the system as well.

On the top end, the Pulsar was more extended and presented a very natural sound (with the Dodson dac in place).  Cymbals had really nice shimmer and decay.  They also had a nice sense of air and space.  This was really easy to hear when we played Dave Matthews Band #41 and Say Goodbye (Crash).

The midrange on the Pulsar is more forward than the Audience (which is a little to laid back for my tastes).  It had a better sense of PRAT as well (probably because of the better dynamics and detail).  I also felt that Pulsar was more three dimensional than the Audience.

So is the Pulsar perfect?  Nope.

On more complex music, Phil and I heard a hint a grain at times.  I let Chris know and he said that the ic will keep improving up to 500 hours.  I think I am around this point, so I am not sure if this will change anymore.

Even with that issue, the Pulsar has become my reference digital ic (replacing a very good Argent Audio Pursang that retails for $500/meter).

Oh yeah, did I mention that the Pulsar digital ic costs $89 for a 1.5M length?

Did I mention that Chris offers a 60 day money back guarentee?

If you need a digital ic, you owe it to yourself to contact Chris and try it in your system.  I am pretty positive you won't be disappointed.

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2004, 07:01 am »
George,
    I believe you also have the VH Audio Pulsar IC's with XLR plugs...any comments on them ? Thanks !! :) [/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2004, 04:29 pm »
Chris,

I posted my impressions back in May.   :)

I just reposted in the Critics Circle.

George

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2004, 07:26 pm »
Ok, thanks for the heads up.  Since I trust George's ears AND MAINLY BECAUSE OF THE 60 DAY $ BACK GUARANTEE, I will try this digital IC in my system.  Thanks for the heads up, George.

Michael

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2004, 02:43 am »
Quote from: zybar
Chris,

I posted my impressions back in May.   :)

I just reposted in the Critics Circle.

George
Thanks George , missed the post in May , gotta clean my glasses better..... :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2004, 03:30 am »
Thanks for the comments!  The Pulsar sounds like I would like it as well.