Starting my N3 build

Captainhemo

Starting my N3 build
« on: 8 Aug 2012, 08:15 pm »
Hi All
After lots of reading and an equal amount of decision changes between the AV3  or N3 kits I finally  went with the N3 kit.  I placed the order with Danny  and had him  ship the cross over components to Ron (Ron on AC) who  gave me a great deal on assembling the  networks for me.    I personally didn't want to attempt the assembly as I'm visually impaired  and didn't feel I was capable of dealing with the small components.  Ron is a great option for  anyone not wanting to assemble  their own networks.

Anyhow,  I started on the cabinets last weekend.
I picked up a sheet of 3/4" MDF from Home Depot and was able to  get a fair amount of the cutting done there.  I had them  cut me 2 8" strips, 2 10" strips,  and a 6.5" strip.  From the  8" strips,  I had them cut me  the 4  front/rear pieces , from the 10"  strips  the 4 sides .
From leftovers of those  pieces, I was able to cut the 4 top/bottom plates.
I must say,  I asked the fellow to be extremely accurate with the cuts  and he  took his time and measured everything  twice before cutting.
When I got home, I cut up the 6.5 " strip into  the various  braces I'd be needing.

Now being that I only  started the weekend with  2 clamps,  I decided to mark out all the bracing positions on 1 side of the cabinet. I'd have to position and glue in  2 braces at a time (using a scrap piece of MDF and the 2 clamps for pressure).  It's very time consuming  doing it like this but  I had to work with what I had.  I had a difficult time keeping the braces square when clamping them down  but  with some  finicking around it is possible.

The 2 brace B's for each speaker I made from  a 6.5" x 21"  piece.   Once the holes were routed and radiused,  I cut the piece in half, then   cut the  excess from  each   end to make each of the resulting  brace B's  6.5 x10"  with a  semi circles cut in either end.

I continued  gluing in  2 braces at a time until  they were all  securely in  position.  Next I glued and screwed  the top and bottom  of the cabinet  in place..  Now that I'm writing this,  I realize  that I should have taken more photos slong the way.

I was able to get my hands on a couple more clamps which really helped.    Now I clamped the  second side in place and drilled the  pilot holes fro the screws.   The screws are all slightly countersunk to allow for a  roundover   later. I also slightly countersink the  holes that the screws will be  tighening into making sure that the boards  bind tightly.   Next I applied the glue,  clamps and screwws .

Here's how they are looking now.  I'm pleased witht he results thus far.   I obviously need to invest in more clamps  for future builds.

As you can see,  these are  front vented so the TL has been  flip flopped.

I was also able to get the front baffles  cut out.   The rear of the woofer holes  are rounded over with a 3/8  radius.

More to come.

Ron

Re: Starting my N3 build
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2012, 08:33 pm »
  Looking good so far Jay!  :)  Anxious to see more photographs as you progress with your build.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2012, 11:07 pm »
 :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2012, 08:40 am »
I received my cross overs from Ron  the other day.  Here are a few pics

Now looking ahead a bit and remembering that the TL is flip flopped, should I be  putting these  on the front baffle  right below the  2nd woofer  and above brace E ?   It's either  there  or on the  back panel between brace D and brace F   which would be a tighter fit. Is the placement going to effect the  TL?

I'm going to be  doing the DIY no res  for these speakers. I was able to get  a hold of some good thick commercial  lino to line the cabinets with.  I'll hopefully get going on that i n the next day or  so.

-jay

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2012, 11:33 am »
Note to Danny.  I like how Ron labels stuff for the non technical minded.  This type of picture should be stickied somewhere for those of us who want to build speaker but don't care to learn how to read schematics.

Ron very kindly sent me a picture of his crossovers when I built my N3s. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2012, 03:15 pm »
on the  back panel between brace D and brace F

I'd go with that.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2012, 04:49 pm »
I'd go with that.

I was originally thinking that too, but  was worried   it may somewhat block  that part of the TL with brace E (on the ront panel) in between  D & F.  It will fit there, but like I said, I am just a bit worried about it blocking the TL

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:38 pm »
I was originally thinking that too, but  was worried   it may somewhat block  that part of the TL with brace E (on the ront panel) in between  D & F.  It will fit there, but like I said, I am just a bit worried about it blocking the TL

That part of the TL is large and air flow is not going to be inhibited.

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2012, 03:57 am »
Ok,  got going o nthe lino  this weekend. 
First I guled on the rear panel.  I only had the 4 clamps so I also used 4 screws

I cut all the rear wall pieces then used contact cement to  glue them in place  While  the contact cement was drying, I started cutting the rest of the  pieces.

Working on the 2nd  speaker now.  I'm  not having a whole lot of fun  messing with the contact cement.  I'm kind of seeing the attraction of  self stick  lino tiles or  the no res  now
More soon

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2012, 07:39 pm »
I've  got the 2nd speaker  all  lined with  lino .

Appareently I have gone a bit overboard with the lino. After looking at the plans,  I see that only the rear wall needed lino all the way down.  I also did the sides  right down to the top of the  vent chamber.   Is this going to be ok ?  If so, I'm assumin g aI only need to run the foam down the sides to the top of brace "D" as indicateed in the plans ?
Also the plans show the   no res starting  a bit "behind"  the drivers.... how far back  from the front baffle  should I start the foam ?
Thanks

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:01 am »
And here they sit tonight after getting  most of the foam cut  and test fitted.

I haven't glued the foam in yet.  It has been suggestted  tome  to use  3M 77 spray adhesive to glue  this stuff in.  Is this the best way to go   or  does anyone have any other suggestiions ?
I guess next  I'll position the crossovers and  drill the pilot holes for mounting. 
Getting there :)

lacro

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:39 pm »
3M 77 is a good choice. I have used it for years for many projects. I just used it to glue in fiberglass in my build. I suggest you do it outside as the aerosol may get on things you don't want it to. Also, it is a contact cement, so be careful installing the foam because once it sticks, it sticks!

Larry

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2012, 07:15 pm »
So does it mater if overspray gets on the internal bracing etc  ?  I would have thought it  would be good to keep the bracing  as "clean" as possible ?    Does it matter  whether the barces surfaces are smooth or " gluey"  ?   Probably a dumb ? but....

nzone

« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2012, 07:23 pm »
Long time lurker, first time posting.

3M 77 odor smells so strong and toxic.  I would just use regular wood glue to stick the foam to the cabinet wall.

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2012, 08:58 pm »

3M 77 odor smells so strong and toxic.  I would just use regular wood glue to stick the foam to the cabinet wall.

That would definitely  make it easier to  position the foam  and not have to worry about the instant  stick of   3m 77.  Does the wood glue stick weel to the foam and vinyl  ?
Thanks

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2012, 09:07 pm »

Welcome to AC!

pureiso

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2012, 09:27 pm »
That would definitely  make it easier to  position the foam  and not have to worry about the instant  stick of   3m 77.  Does the wood glue stick weel to the foam and vinyl  ?
Thanks

-jay

I haven't had issues with that, or any other construction adhesive for that matter.  I actually used a caulking gun and Locktite when I did this to a few of my speakers...

nzone

« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2012, 09:29 pm »
Thanks

-jay

I didn't realize you have linoleum floor lined the walls.  May I ask what was the reason behind doing this way?  It *could* work after the glue is fully dried.  In this case, adhesive caulking is probably a better choice.  I would avoid the 3M 77 though.  That thing made me disoriented easily.

nzone

« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2012, 09:32 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Thanks Danny!  I have been studying the N3 TL for quite some time.   :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 16 Aug 2012, 09:46 pm »
I was just assuming that the 3m 77 was like contact cement and that  once it touched  the  surface,  it wold pretty much stick   at that spot.  Like you say,  I guess any construction adhesive will work and not have that instant stick issue.
I've actually just glued a scrap piece of  foam to  a scrap piece of vinyl using some wood glue just to see how well it will stick.