Poll

I would like a lot of opinions to make some sense.

Fender
Squier

Cheap Squier vs Fender Strato 1973

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Cheap Squier vs Fender Strato 1973
« on: 30 Jan 2017, 11:40 pm »
Over the web seems the Squier has more treble which is not good or bad per se just a tool. What do you prefer or what has better sound?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2PHBFNiWg

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Cheap Squier vs Fender Strato 1973
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2017, 01:32 am »
The Squire is a great first guitar. May fill your needs. That said there are many that rave about their Squires.
If you want to progress a better instrument will have better build quality, better electronic components. Guitar itself made from better materials.
Regardless, if you are pleased with an instrument that is what really matters. I purchased a squire when I first became interested. Have since moved on. As you learn you will have a better understanding of what any guitar offers, quality and playability wise..
There is a reason pro's use what they use. Where do you want to be?

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2017, 02:53 am »
I am a hack guitar player, so my opinion may not mean much. I have both a $150 Squire 51 (original, unmodded, other than hours of fret finishing and setup) and a $1500 USA '57 Strat reissue. And you know what? I much prefer the Squire. I like the feel of the neck better, but that's a personal thing. The Squire may have a bit of a 'ratty' sound (whatever that means) but it works for the type of music I'm writing. But because it's cheap and has a durable poly finish I'm not afraid I'm gonna damage it, that delicate Nitro finish on the Fender almost makes me afraid to pick it up. The Fender is pretty (it's my sig image) and it sounds great. But it stays in the case. I play the Squire everyday.
I've always wanted a Tele. And it will be a Squire Classic Vibe. Ton's of positive reviews. Many say better than the std. Tele (which are damn good) And it's $400 new!!

Honestly, good sound is all in the fingers. I have a friend who is an amazing player and he could make a PoS from Walmart sound good.Now would he sound better on my Strat vs Squire? Probably, but it's a matter of degrees.

I think what matters most on a guitar is it al least made well enough that the neck is straight and will it stay in tune. Then you can do setup (or have done.)...stuff like action and adjusting bridge for correct intonation. Lot of info on 'net. Setup matter a lot.

I'd get the Squire and put left over funds into a good low watt all tube amp. We can argue all day on SS vs tube for home audio, but I HATE SS guitar amps. Ok, they can do clean ok, but overdriven??........eesh.

As in all things internet.....just my HO. :)

And good post by Bob2, agree w/ what said.

Oh, if you want, I can email you a file of a snippet of a song I wrote and recorded on the Squire.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2017, 03:58 am »
"Oh, if you want, I can email you a file of a snippet of a song I wrote and recorded on the Squire."
I'd like some of that if you are so inclined!!

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2017, 04:56 am »
PM w/ email please, not sure I can upload via forum. Will send AIFF, sounds better than MP3. Even w/ solo guitar, the compression just kills it.Thanks for the interest. This is a first for me to share music. I just started making my own music. :oops:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2017, 03:26 pm »
Iam a Fender clone collector not a player unfortunately.
Thanks for your thoughs.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2017, 02:19 am »
The MIJ Squire's would probably be the most desirable. In fact MIJ Fenders are pretty desirable too. They were good guitars.

The original Squire '51 is going up somewhat in value, as so many of them have been modded. But it's never gonna go up a lot. The pre CBS era Fenders (pre 1965) are the most desirable, but they are already prohibitively expensive. If you look at vintage section say @ Chicago Music Exchange, they tend to start at $20K!! My strat Reissue has gone up somewhat. Hopefully in 20 years might be worth something.

Of course, I hope I'm not being crass by talking about collecting along with investment potential. Maybe you just like cool guitars and that's fine. I'd have 5 or so if I could afford, but they'd still be inexpensive one's like Squires or Epiphanies. Or maybe stretch that a bit for a PRS SE (the Korea made one) I wish I could buy an American Tele, more just to support the workers in Corona. But I don't think I would sound any better on it than I could on the China made Squire Classic Vibe.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2017, 10:08 am »
My idea is that Fenders never will becomes rare as a small clone builder, but they will sound great in 20y if the wood is hi quality ans was treated/built  properly.
Clones from famous brands are very cheap now.

Photon46

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2017, 04:55 pm »
My idea is that Fenders never will becomes rare as a small clone builder, but they will sound great in 20y if the wood is hi quality ans was treated/built  properly.
Clones from famous brands are very cheap now.

Are you suggesting that people buy Fender clones with the hope that whatever market exists for guitars in twenty years will recognize their value and one can make money on them as an investment? I wouldn't count on it. Most people have a "herd" mentality and follow whatever brand names they are familiar with when they grew up with. Only a small percentage of people who play guitar seek out, investigate, and value smaller brands outside the spectrum of well known brands like Fender-Gibson-Martin-Taylor.

You are right that much better value can often be had in a clone. I've got 20 year old USA Hamer copies of the Fender Strat and Telecaster and they are phenomenal guitars for the money I paid for them 10 years ago. They are the equal of any Fender I've ever played. (the fact that one of them was cherry picked by a Hamer factory rep for his own collection may have something to do with that. :lol:) I've also got a 30 year old Tokai Japanese Strat copy that's a very nice sounding guitar as well (although I'm not as fond of that one's chunkier neck as I am of the flatter, thinner necks on the Hamers.)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2017, 09:21 pm »
Dont musicians, I have seen many musicians buying by the ear and by the feel after an hour of intensive test. Too bad Fenders already expensive today, its the pric eof the fame.
Non musicians buy by exotics reasons as me :green:

johsti

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2017, 12:11 am »
Check out the Monoprice California Classic if you are considering an inexpensive strat style guitar.  I just picked one up for my son during a sale for $60 with a coupon (regular price is $100).  I wasn't expecting much, but I was blown away by how it played and the build quality for the money.  It plays great, stays in tune and makes me question why I spent so much more for USA and MIJ strats.  The only thing lacking is the tone control, but everything else greatly exceeded my expectations.  Monoprice ships them out already setup by a luthier in Southern California.

I just checked and they are on sale again for $70 for sunburst and $80 for black.  It doesn't make sense that it could be such a decent guitar for so little money. 
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=610100&gclid=CNKjhM-T9dECFUlNfgods1MJsw

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2017, 12:22 am »
What are the woods they use?
Hum:
Body Style    Double-Cutaway with Tremolo
Body Material    Basswood
Neck Material    Maple
Fingerboard Material    Rosewood

Well its yet a bargain, it even came w/a case;

drphoto

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2017, 12:45 am »
I would think if any electric guitars other than Fender/Gibson are gonna become collectable, it would be PRS. But I think the desirability of the 'big two' has to do with the history of popular music. These two guitar brands are what defined the sound of Jazz, Blues and Rock. I could be wrong on PRS because of that. They are superb  instruments played by some great artist, but don't have that historical cache.

Relative scarcity is another factor. That's why the MIJ Squires are selling at a somewhat premium price. There's just not that many around, compared to the Indonesian and Chinese versions.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2017, 12:49 am »
I dont like PRS mid scale size, it nothing to do w/prog rock.
When Santana started using it his music down.

drphoto

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2017, 01:13 am »
Oh, I almost forgot.....maybe Rickenbacker, ya know because of a certain group called "The Beatles"??

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2017, 01:17 am »
Rickenbacker are great sound at a price, not to mention Cris Squire bass.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2017, 01:37 am »
A instructive video about Rickenbacker basses shortcomics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR--0QSLQPg

drphoto

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2017, 10:53 pm »
I've always had a fondness for Danelectro guitars. Not because of the connection to 'Zeppelin, but because the quirky build, cool looks and unique sound. Another one I would own if I were made of money. But I gotta get a good tube amp first. Some of the vintage ones are definitely starting to go up in value.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2017, 11:51 pm »
Johan Segeborn's videos are a lot of fun, but he would probably sound good on any plank with strings on it if set up well.  :)

And so would this guy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLG1M2Gz6tk

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 5 Feb 2017, 10:07 am »
I've always had a fondness for Danelectro guitars. Not because of the connection to 'Zeppelin, but because the quirky build, cool looks and unique sound. Another one I would own if I were made of money. But I gotta get a good tube amp first. Some of the vintage ones are definitely starting to go up in value.
Syd Barret used a Danelectro, this is a guitar I would buy(a Danelectro Baritone)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCC3WKZYS1E