Poll

How would you start building your combo music/HT system?

Purchase AV preamp (like Rotel 1066) and Odyssey HT 3
10 (58.8%)
Purchase AV preamp (like Rotel 1066) and two Odyssey reference monoblocks
2 (11.8%)
Purchase AV receiver (like Rotel 1055) and two Odyssey reference monoblocks
2 (11.8%)
Keep the crap(TM) system and spend the extra cash going to movies and concerts
1 (5.9%)
None of the above Nico, you blithering idiot, you should ...
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: 11 Jan 2003, 07:03 am

What would you do?

nicodaemos

What would you do?
« on: 11 Jan 2003, 07:03 am »
I currently have a crap(TM) system that is both music and HT.  Since I have limited funds (recently engaged) I'm wanting to selectively purchase components that I can build around for the future.  If/when the boss approves the budget, I'll purchase perhaps a couple pieces this year and hopefully repeat it again for the next several years until either my fiance/future wife divorces me, leaving me penniless  -or- I've acquired all the great components of my system and have thus reached AV enlightenment.

I already have a Mits 65" HDTV, so the tv's not an issue.  In the current house, I'm only able to setup L-C-R and subwoofer -- I have the speakers, but no space to set up the surrounds.

Okay, now option 1 is to purchase an AV preamp like the Rotel 1066 and the Odyssey HT 3 to drive the L-C-R and sub.  In the future, migrate the HT 3 to drive the center/surrounds and get two reference monoblocks to drive the left/right.  The question about this option is whether I will have buyer's regret for getting the HT 3 instead of monoblocks everywhere.

Option 2 is to purchase an AV receiver like the Rotel 1055, have it drive the center channel and get two reference Monoblocks to drive L-R.  In the future purchase additional monoblocks to drive center/surrounds.  Will the receiver be equivalent to a decent preamp or will I be thinking to replace it with a dedicated preamp in the future?

Option 3 is to purchase an AV preamp, say Rotel 1066, and get two reference Monoblocks to drive L-R.  In the future purchase additional monoblocks to drive center/surrounds.  This option leaves me without multichannel HT for possibly a year, am I missing out?

Ideally I would love to have separate components - ie. preamp fronting reference monoblocks.  But my dilemma is whether I will be giving up too much in the HT area.  What would you do in my shoes?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2003, 08:37 am »
Depends on what speakers you're going to be using.  For most speakers, the HT-3 is more than enough amp, and getting the Mono's later for the left/right speakers will pay off big for 2 channel listening.

nicodaemos

What would you do?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2003, 08:01 pm »
Tyson, I'm too embarassed to name my current speakers -- let's just say that I had been hoodwinked by their strong marketing.  I'm not worried about the HT3 amp being able to drive my current speakers - I don't think it'll be a problem.  In fact I was pretty set about the HT3 .... until I started reading all those posts about the mono blocks and the super duper upgrade that even Klaus says is a major improvement.  Then I started wondering ....

Marbles, LOL just when I thought I had a firm footing on the available options, you decide to tip me over again.   :wink:  The Kraft sounds interesting but I think that's beyond my budget.  Right now I can possibly get about $1500 for a preamp and possibly a little over $2k for amp(s).  At least those numbers work in my head -- don't know what the boss thinks yet.

Rocket

upgrade amps
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2003, 11:57 pm »
hello,

it really depends on how far you want to go with your audio system.  for good ht use you really don't need to spend kilo bucks on it.  i have 2 systems one which has an onkyo dvd, nad receiver and axiom speakers all round, this is for ht use.

my main system is where i've spent all my money on over the years.  i would worry about spending too much money on something to power the rears tho.

anyway good luck with your choice, sounds like you have a few to think about.

regards

rod

nicodaemos

What would you do?
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2003, 05:39 am »
Hey Rocket, are you a diver?  It's almost a silly question since you're from Perth -- isn't scuba part of the regular physical education program in grade school?   :D  My scuba buddy, Dave Manning, is from Perth and he's back there right now on holiday.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying.  I was thinking to put together a single system that was pretty good at doing both HT and general music listening.  Since I have a limited budget, I thought that building a single system would let my money go further.

Rocket

What would you do?
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2003, 12:35 pm »
hello nico...,

ever since watching jaws when i was a kid i've been too bloody scared to scuba dive.  perth is a great place to be if you like scuba diving tho.

regards

rod

nicodaemos

What would you do?
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2003, 11:03 pm »
Rocket, I've been scared/fascinated by sharks ever since Jaws.  Just learned to scuba this year and did some dives with 5-6' grey reef sharks circling us -- boy was that a thrill for me!

Of course my buddy Dave says that they get great whites swimming out in the Perth area.  Different story altogether when the shark can swallow you whole.  In fact, his wife won't dive there anymore.  I can understand your concern about the water.

W.C.

What would you do?
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2003, 02:47 am »
I'd buy the HT-3 first. You can find a good processor for HT cheap if you do your homework and know what to look for. Then start saving your money for speakers. Only after you do this will you know if your speakers will benefit and to what degree by deciding on the upgraded mono's.