Amp candidates for X Series?

russellreich

Amp candidates for X Series?
« on: 4 May 2020, 11:32 pm »
So you’re itchin’ for an X3 or X5. And you’re jazzed at that super efficient amazing tweeter you’re dreaming of driving without concern for the low end.

What are top three candidate amps to try?

Bonus points if you’ve already tried one or more of your candidates and can comment on which is/are a heavenly match.

I’ll kick it off:

1. Pass Aleph 30
2. McIntosh MAC 1500
3. Pass Amp Camp amp

Dsaldivar

Re: Amp candidates for X Series?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2020, 11:48 pm »
I’d think 20W/C is ok.
QuickSilver EL84 integrated amp
http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/integrated-amplifier/

geerock

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2020, 11:52 pm »
I have X5's and I've gone with three different amps, all connected to a Don Sachs all in preamp.  First was a pair of "best he can make" Odyssey kismet in Stratos monos.  Very strong and clean, with great depth and dynamics.  Then I tried a great bargain.  The Carver Crimson 275 with NOS tubes.  A giant killer for sure.  Lush sounds and great soundstage.  Not as crisp as the Odysseys but for some the monos may be harsh.  Anyway, some music seemed a bit nicer with the Odysseys, and some better with the Carver.
Then I decided on the 14 day trial on the amp that Clayton did his shows with...the Linear Tube Audio line.  He used the integrated but I went with the ZOTL 10 MKII to go with the tube preamp.  That was it!  Best of everything!  Huge soundstage.  Killer dynamics.  Lifelike piano and horns.  The David Berning designed circuit is in a class all by itself.  And at $3200 a bargain if there ever was one.  I'm presently listening to the finest system I've ever had, and I'm not a young man.  I also use the Anticable line of PC's, interconnects, and SC's that were in the Spatial shows.  Simply a heavenly match that I don't see being changed anytime soon.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2020, 12:38 am »
geerock,
that's the information that is quite useful! Facts not just opinions like mine.
What happens when the speakers are out of warranty and one the speaker amps needs to be replaced?
Dan

geerock

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2020, 01:18 am »
N-Core plate amps are notoriously reliable.  I haven't cracked them open but they are almost always a simple screw in and connect.  I sure wouldn't worry about it.   Class D plate amps are in subs all over the place and I've never heard of one failure with people I know anyway.  I would guess Clayton would be helpful if it did have an early failure, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to give up the ghost.  They just cruise along with very little heat produced.  And they only have to run a single driver each.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2020, 08:19 am »
Like geerock I too own the Carver 275 and have found it to be an excellent amp. I will say that when I took delivery of my X3s I had the wonderful Decware Torii II in house. It was not a good match. The 25 watts per channel would seem to be fine paired with such an efficient speaker with powered subs, but that was not the case. However, maybe it was more a fault of the transformers or the design of the amp than the power output itself. But the Carver drives them to any level and sounds outstanding doing it. I am currently pairing it with a Tortuga LDR, but also like geerock I have a Don Sachs pre in route right now.

But as a group, we are a fickle lot. My curiosity is piqued by the LTA amp and also Don’s Kootenay amp. Sometime in the future when I recover from the preamp purchase I plan to give one of these a try.

Shakey

Jprod

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2020, 05:02 pm »
I will let you know once i get the Dennis Had inspire KT88 SEP amp.  Its only 12wpc but After Dennis reviewed the specs of the x5 he felt it would mate well and give the speakers enough juice. My x5s should be in my hands in a week or less.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2020, 06:10 pm »
So you’re itchin’ for an X3 or X5. And you’re jazzed at that super efficient amazing tweeter you’re dreaming of driving without concern for the low end.

What are top three candidate amps to try?

Bonus points if you’ve already tried one or more of your candidates and can comment on which is/are a heavenly match.

I’ll kick it off:

1. Pass Aleph 30
2. McIntosh MAC 1500
3. Pass Amp Camp amp

None of the above. A SET mono blocks, pick your tube type. Me I would choose 300B or 211.

charles

bbybaudio

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2020, 07:12 pm »
I use the Primaluna Dialogue HP Integrated produced after the caps were improved. Running Tunsol EL34s with Brimars up front. In Triode is produces 37 watts/channel and 70 in ultralinear. I have used this amp with Tungsol KT150s as well. I prefer the EL34s, plenty of dynamics, high end sparkle, bass slam and 3D-Staging. Voices sound like they are in the room, instruments sound as they should. The only other option I am entertaining is far more expensive and that is to go with the LTA ultralinear amp and their preamp. As shakeydeal said, we are a fickle group.

bbybaudio

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2020, 12:47 pm »
Sorry I did not respond to the thread with which three amps. Of all the amps I have had, Bryston 4BSST, Simaudion Moon W5, Atmosphere M60 monoblocks, Manley Snapper monoblocks, and now the Primaluna, I would go with two of the ones I have had and one not used in my system, but Clayton uses them to power his speakers at the shows.

Atmosphere M60 monos
Primaluna Dialogue HP Premium Integrated (post cap upgrade)
LTA ultralinear or LTA integrated

bbybaudio

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2020, 03:28 pm »
Sorry for misspelling, Atma-Sphere not atmosphere!

morganc

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2020, 03:51 pm »

None of the above. A SET mono blocks, pick your tube type. Me I would choose 300B or 211.

charles

Have you heard either of these combos with the X Series Rollo? Just curious if you have and your feedback on which ones that you liked. 

dealaddict

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2020, 07:09 pm »
I have a similar question.  I am currently using a Triode Lab 2A3 integrated.  While it is excellent, as part of this hobby, I am always curious if there is something better matched with the X5 out there.  The X series has a powered subwoofer, but would the 12” mid range driver benefit with a bit more power than my 4W 2A3 SET?  I don’t need more loudness.  For my 2A3, the volume know is set around 9 o’clock.

My short list are:

1) Linear Tube Audio z10 integrates (10W)
There are good reviews, Clayton choose this in the shows, I guess it should mean something.  Good resale value if it doesn’t fit me.

2) Yamamoto A08s (2W)
Almost a consensus one of the best 45 amp out there.  The concern is not enough power for the mid range driver, and it may sound very similar to my 2A3? Good resale value if it doesn’t fit me.

3) Custom built 300B using Master Shinshido’s IITC circuit (8W)
I read mixed reviews, some likes it and some don’t.  Not sure if custom built with quality part would be as good; no reviews.  But I won’t be able to afford the “original” Wavac SE-300b if it is not customer built.  Poor(er) resale value.  300b tunes are expensive.

4) Custom built 45 Parallel Single Ended using Kondo’s Neiro circuit (4-5 W)
More power than the Yamamoto.  Hopefully it still have the characteristics of 45 tubes.  Similar concerns as above for a custom built unit.

5) Custom built 211 using Kondo’s Ongaku circuit (15W?)
Much more power than above.  The Ongaku is highly praised similar to the Yamamoto.  211 needs high voltage that may shortened the life of the equipment.  Similar concerns as above for a custom built unit.

Which one do you think will be the best fit?  I read some discussions, people mentioned about things such as matching the impedance, there can be a dip in the speaker response curve. 

geerock

« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2020, 07:48 pm »
I have a similar question.  I am currently using a Triode Lab 2A3 integrated.  While it is excellent, as part of this hobby, I am always curious if there is something better matched with the X5 out there.  The X series has a powered subwoofer, but would the 12” mid range driver benefit with a bit more power than my 4W 2A3 SET?  I don’t need more loudness.  For my 2A3, the volume know is set around 9 o’clock.

My short list are:

1) Linear Tube Audio z10 integrates (10W)
There are good reviews, Clayton choose this in the shows, I guess it should mean something.  Good resale value if it doesn’t fit me.

I can only give you feedback on the LTA.  I'm using the LTA ZOTL10 MKII with a Don Sach all in pre.  Fantastic combo.  I would imagine the integrated may be similar, although I'm sure the DS PRE adds a good amount of magic.  Before that I used a Carver Crimson 275 with NOS signal tubes with the DS that was very nice too.  Remember that with the LTA you are only driving the mids and highs on the X series.  There is plenty of juice for any SP levels you might want.  Plus the LTA is a pretty good bargain.

dealaddict

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2020, 08:14 am »
It seems the LTA is quite a bit more expensive compared to other options I listed.

I am pretty set on a 300b, I think.  One of the store has a sale on a pair of Shuguang Treasure 300b, so I bought it. 

There are many 300b amps.  I have been struggle about the custom built 300B using Master Shinshido’s IITC circuit.  What’s holding me back is the price, and I can’t hear it before the purchase, and there is no review.  But of course, even not cheap, it is cheaper many brand name products with similar quality.  And if it is not custom built, there is no way I will buy the Wavac.  Will you spend $3500 on a custom built using the IITC circuit? 

sumoking

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2020, 04:49 pm »
I can only give you feedback on the LTA.  I'm using the LTA ZOTL10 MKII with a Don Sach all in pre.  Fantastic combo.  I would imagine the integrated may be similar, although I'm sure the DS PRE adds a good amount of magic.  Before that I used a Carver Crimson 275 with NOS signal tubes with the DS that was very nice too.  Remember that with the LTA you are only driving the mids and highs on the X series.  There is plenty of juice for any SP levels you might want.  Plus the LTA is a pretty good bargain.

Check out my thoughts in the attached review.
I have the x-3’s. Hope this helps!

Cherry Amp's DeskTop Maraschino (DTM) Mono Block Amplifiers Reviewed! https://youtu.be/U4TpFf54ZzY

sjsfiveo

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2020, 11:28 pm »
I believe I’m set on my front end I have a Innuos Zenmini streamer with external PSU, NAT Audio Magnetic Preamp , Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC and a Audio Research Reference 75SE Tube amp. I,m 3 weeks into my wait for a pair of X5’s.