Just put a poll up on how you listen to your music. If I missed something....

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Just put a poll up on how you listen to your music. If I missed something please tell me. I will edit the poll.

I may be asking for trouble :icon_twisted:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120945.0

Haider
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2013, 04:58 pm by haiderSonneteer »

Don_S

What about dedicated music servers not based upon a Mac or Windows computer?

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Hi Don,

Thanks. Would that come under Streamer? Or would you suggest that as a separate thing?

Haider

Don_S

To me a streamer is something like a Squeezebox.  A dedicated music server has music storage built in. It is a music library. I am talking about something like Olive or Qsonix or Soolos. They may also stream but they are primarily meant to be a music storage and playback device.  I differentiate them from a Windows PC or Mac Mini adapted for music storage and playback.

But that is just my interpretation.  I am not sure what others think.  For me the choices in your poll are unclear.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Thanks Don,

I appreciate the distinction. In fact it is interesting how the terminology is settling down. we found in the early days of streaming devices, dealers were not able to make the distinction between a streamer and a server and often assuming a streamer is a server. I wouldn't blame them for this as it can be confusing sometimes due to differing nature of many products that essentially do the same thing at the user interface level but in fact are different in their 'back room' function.

So any ideas how I may keep it simple with the choices? I am concerned I may end up with too many.

Haider

JohnR

You can allow for multiple choices in the poll options, that way you don't need options like "CD and vinyl". I would hesitate to just pick one option.

The CD option could perhaps be extended... - SACD, Blu-ray, etc. Not sure if there would be many who would "mainly" listen that way but it includes them.

I also find the plethora of choices once music is on files can be a bit confusing. You haven't covered the case for playback from files on the device itself. I can put a USB stick or attach a hard drive to my Blu-way player and play files that way. No network involved. There are other dedicated devices like that e.g. Bryston BDP-1/2. (I"m not sure if this is what Don_S means.)

A link would help :) -

Interesting poll :thumb:

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Thanks John,

It seems like I opened a can of worms, but it is getting interesting in that respect.

Maybe I should open another thread with a more direct question. It seems every day we wake up there is a new way to listen to music. I know some are waiting for it all to settle down but I fear that it will only get more and more confusing.

As long as I don't have to pay a tariff every time I'll be happy.

Haider

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Starting to make some interesting reading.

Thanks for everyone who posted and voted so far.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk