Best SACD's

stlrman

Best SACD's
« on: 23 Jul 2009, 08:35 pm »
I am about to buy a few SACD's, but have been a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices and want to find out what you guys recommend. I listen to all types of music really. I want to get a few classical and a few from rock, jazz ,blues, new age. I am really looking for great performances and AMAZING sound. :icon_lol: I really want to put on a SACD and say" holy smokes"  :drool: , this is what it is all about. Please recommend SACD's that have normal pricing ,as I am unwilling to spend $200 for one SACD. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  ( I only have 2 channel )
Best wishes,
Todd

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Best SACD's
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2009, 08:41 pm »
Todd,
Hi.  As per my PM..I forgot to say one thing:
Steelers SUCK...no wait, that's the Browns cry for years...the brutal reality is this:  Browns suck!!!   :o   :D  (lifelong Browns fan who remembers 1964 at least).

For 2 channel, especially Classical (not my specialty at all), I really like the Reiner stuff on RCA Living Stereo, especially Scheherezade and Pictures.  The Piatigorsky cello disc is great, too.  For rock I love the Stones Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, the Cowboy Junkies Whites Off Earth Now ( a live sizzle sound that is very dynamic), and Beck's Sea Change (although the rel gem here is the 5.1 mix).  Peter Gabriel's stuff is good, especially later in the catalog (earlier is musically great but not a huge sonic diff to redbook).  I'll add more later.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2009, 08:56 pm »
I am really looking for great performances and AMAZING sound.

Try this....

I CHING - "OF THE MARSH AND THE MOON"

Take three Chinese musicians schooled in the ancient art of traditional music making. A tradition that evokes images of romance and mystery. Add the futuristic, yet always musical sound of a synthesizer and apply state-of-the-art Chesky sonic technology. The result? I Ching: Of The Marsh and The Moon. This instrumental recording offers melodies that are at times distressingly beautiful, rhythmically driving and lushly melodic. Featuring Sisi Chen playing the Yangqin (Chinese hammered dulcimer), Tao Chen on Chinese flute and Bao Li on Erhu (two stringed Chinese fiddle) with the synthesizer of Joel Goodman, this is World music meeting New Age. This is I Ching.

jbtrio

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2009, 10:41 pm »
Todd,

Dead Can Dance: Into the Labyrinth. If you like that try Spiritchaser excellent recordings and music.

Classical: Tutti orchestral sampler and Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone beautiful music and recording

Acoustic Guitar: Chesky recording  3 Guitars with Larry Coryell,Badi Assad,and John Abercrombie recorded in a small church in NYC, very nice sound and preformance.

Joe

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2009, 10:52 pm »
For rock try Nine Inch Nails "Downward spiral" reissue, it has 2 discs.
Beck "Sea Changes" is great, not his standard stuff, but great.
Kodo "Mondo head" taiko drum band. Great fusion album.
o' Brother soundtrack is great.
And I'm in agreement on the Peter Gabriel stuff I have "shaking the tree" and it's great.
Stevie Ray Vaughan "Texas Flood"
Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the moon"

I could go on if you'd like. :)

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:15 am »
Thanks for all the great reccomendations !!!!
I pulled the trigger and got Pink Floyd DSM, I Ching (Thanks Lonewolfny , any other must owns in your collection?) and I got a Groovenote Sampler Vol. 2. I heard great things about Groovenote ( Most of the musicians I have never heard of and I love to be turned on to new great musicians )
I LOVE   :thumb: Dead Can Dance and own 3 cd's.  How much better are the SACD's? I find the cd's to be amazing sound quality.
Ted , I will be picking up a couple of  Rca Living Stereo SACD's in the future ( and The Steelers RULE and Oh Yeah , We also the Stanely Cup  :lol: :thumb: :D ) ( But then again I would trade both of these victories to own your system for a few years ) side note: I'm born and raised in Philly
Jbtrio : I would love to pick up the Yo Yo Ma as strings sound insane on my Minis
Pez , thanks for the recommendations and please do keep em coming if you have other favorites. I love drumming music and fusion and will check out Kodo Mondo Head
I WILL Be picking up Hugh Masekala "Hope" as I have the cd and it is amazing MUSIC :icon_lol: and the cd sound is a demo disk as well .I cant remember a recent cd that has given me more pleasure!!
Lets keep the great SACD recommendations coming..  Much Appreciated !!
Todd

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2009, 05:54 pm »
I just pulled the trigger on the Yo Yo Ma sacd and the  Scheherezade  sacd. Can't wait to hear em.
anyone else want to jump in on their fantastic must hace SACD's ?
How is the Miles Davis Some Kind of Blue SACD ?
Todd

ashok

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2009, 07:06 pm »
Some of my favorites:

• In Session, Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan (No CD layer)
  • Hank Jones, The Great Jazz Trio, Live at Birdland July 5, 2007 and July 6, 2007. Omar Hakim plays drums and John Patitucci is on bass. There are two discs, but not sold as a set. You have to buy them separately.
  • Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar
  • Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Misty

Pez

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2009, 09:36 pm »
I'll call this one 2 Kings and a Sultan.

Michael Jackson's "Thriller" of course! RIP King of Pop
David Bowie's "Heathen" really really great stuff.  King of Alt Rock
Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms". Sultans of Swing

:thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2009, 12:11 pm »
Thanks Ashok and Pez, great recommendations, I just ordered telarc's Tchaichovsky 1812 Overture as recommended on Audiogon. Supposed to great!!
Anybody else want to play?
Thanks!!
Todd

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2009, 01:00 pm »

stlrman

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2009, 06:38 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations again. Ted the Living Stereo SACD is awesome also the DSOTM is super intense !! I cant believe how much better SACD's sound. I Ching is on back order and the Groove Note is heading back as it only plays 2 songs.
Thanks guys!!
Todd

Mott

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2009, 08:30 pm »
Todd, here are some of my faves, and ones not marred by over-compression or Noise Reduction. These are stunning:

Rickie Lee Jones - Pirates; It's Like This
The Band - Music from the Big Pink
Creedence Clearwater Revival - the whole catalog on SACD
Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On; Let's Get it On (both on Mobile Fidelity)
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Carol King - Tapestry
Blood Sweat and Tears - S/t
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Blvd.
Earth Wind and Fire - That's the Way of the World
Stones - Beggars Banquet
Milt Jackson - Invitation
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Byrds - Notorious Byrd Brothers

« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2009, 11:39 pm by Mott »

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2009, 09:30 pm »
Mott,
Agree with your selections.    :thumb:  And I TOTALLY forgot about the new Rickie Lee re-releases.   :duh:  Thanks.  I have Sermon (on SACD, her whole catalog otherwise on redbook) and just ordered It's Like This and Pirates. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2009, 10:54 pm »
How about a bit more classical:

Mott

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2009, 07:45 pm »
Mott,
Agree with your selections.    :thumb:  And I TOTALLY forgot about the new Rickie Lee re-releases.   :duh:  Thanks.  I have Sermon (on SACD, her whole catalog otherwise on redbook) and just ordered It's Like This and Pirates.

I forgot I had Sermon! Funny. & how great that you support Analogue Productions, Mofi and Jones in one easy purchase.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2009, 10:04 pm »
So Aerosmith - Rocks made it past vaporware?  How'd I miss that?

Russ

Thebiker

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2009, 10:18 pm »

For a bit of jazz, try Sony Rollins or The Ray Brown Trio

Both make me smile.

Walt

Mott

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jul 2009, 11:38 pm »
So Aerosmith - Rocks made it past vaporware?  How'd I miss that?

Russ

I'm an idiot. I meant Toys in the Attic.
I also forgot to add Roxy Music Avalon and Brian Ferry Boys snd Girls to that list.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 7 Aug 2009, 10:27 pm »
Try These SACDs listed at http://www.sa-cd.net ( A free Library and Wish List Service).
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/810 Hard to find(worth the hassle) I get mine at www.hifi-cd.com (Now with free shipping world wide).
http://www.sa-cd.net/can.php .........A must for Prog Rock lovers, extraordimary sound quality for a rock band.
http://www.sa-cd.net/search/nektar A psychedelic Prog rock band, very good sound quality.
http://www.sa-cd.net/search/teng Teresa Teng: enka music from Taiwan, perfect arrangements and the most beautiful romantic voice in the world
http://www.sa-cd.net/search/santana%3A/1/1/1/1  Latin Rock from Santana Band.
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/579  Ambient Music in 70's
Good Luck,