Seas Thor Crossover

headphones1

Seas Thor Crossover
« on: 27 Oct 2019, 10:43 pm »
I have started the Seas Thor project and am at a standstill.  The enclosure is done and the drivers all operate.  I have enclosed a crossover and wiring diagram.  However, the crossover is not working properly.  Madisound built the crossover and I did the final assembly.  All I am getting is low frequency output-no high frequency output.  Madisound looked an my completed crossover and said it all looked correct (minus one peculiar connection that could be a problem-but since its stereo I figure I should be getting at least one channel fine)-not too encouraging.  I was hoping maybe someone could look at the photographs and figure out what is not right.

Thanks,

Matt

98[/img]

Openly Baffled

• I'm an Open Baffle fan!
Re: Seas Thor Crossover
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2019, 04:00 am »
If I had more time this would be a challenging puzzle.
My only initial comment is to be very careful where you have excess stripped wire running over adjacent solder pads.
I can see several instances where the +ve and -ve wires could be shorted.
Hope this helps.
Good luck

Openly Baffled

• I'm an Open Baffle fan!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2019, 04:05 am »
Actually I do have a useful suggestion...
Take a speaker (not a tweater) and connect it at each stage along the signal path until it stops working.
So, connect one side of the speaker to Amplifier -ve.
Then try each of the following points in order and stop when the speaker stops making sound:
1) Amplifier +ve
2) Each side of C2. (This should cut the bass)
3) Each side of C3
4) Each side of R2
5) The positive side of C4
6) The positive side of the tweeter.
7) If you get here then either your tweeter is blown or the -ve side of it is not connected properly.

This won't detect faults in L3, C4 or R3. But unless these are shorted they should not prevent treble getting through.

Let me know if/where the signal fails.
More good luck...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2019, 04:52 am »

This photos looks suspect to adjacent solder tracks contact as mentioned.
The treble xovers are cuted by the smallers inductors.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2019, 05:05 am »
The Madisound crossovers look fine, they are built correctly.

Your hookup wires have the woofer polarity reversed on one crossover, but correct on the other. This will cause some very serious problems with imaging and midrange frequency response! On your speakers, red wires always go to positive for both the drivers and the crossover connections, and white is always negative. But this error should still allow you to hear high frequencies coming out of tweeter with your ear close to the tweeter (and volume down low.)

As openly baffled suggested, the tweeter out positive red wire is uninsulated as it passes over the tweeter out negative solder pad. If this wire bends down to touch the neg solder pad below it, then it will short and mute the tweeter and make your amplifier unhappy. So unsolder that positive cable and cut off some of that extra uninsulated conductor and or solder it higher up on the solder pad so it can't short with the negative pad. All that extra uninsulated wire on all your in and out connections is unnecessary. 1/4" of exposed copper is all you need. Uninsulated conductor should not extend outside of the solder pad area to which it's soldered. Looks like the same potential problem of tweeter shorting is on both crossover boards. Doesn't look like they are shorting yet in these photos.

Last thing is make sure the tweeters are healthy by measuring the voice coil resistances with ohmmeter to make sure they are close to the "Re" spec published in the tweeter datasheet.
Let us know what you find.

simoon

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2019, 04:46 pm »
Not that there aren't any extremely smart and intelligent people here, I would also recommend posting this on the Part Express Tech Talk forum.

There are many speaker designers and knowledgeable people there, who build and design speakers on a weekly basis. Quite a few 'superstars' of DIY over there: Jeff Bagby, Kurt Campbell, Paul Carmody, etc.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2019, 04:58 pm »
I have started the Seas Thor project and am at a standstill.  The enclosure is done and the drivers all operate

You might want to read this: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/64799-clarity-seas-thor-kit.html

Too bad you have done all this work already.

dave

rustybutt

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2021, 06:56 am »
Has anyone ever thought of ditching the Thor passive crossover altogether and going with a miniDSP active crossover with DSP EQ?   The DDRC-24 unit comes with a licence for the Dirac measurement software and a Dirac processor to implement its recommendations.   You could tune the loudspeakers for your room.   You get to select your own crossover point and change it at will.   And this way, you get to get even more creative by trying something like a good tube amp for the tweeter and a solid state amp for the low end.