The great loudspeaker search over!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« on: 23 Feb 2006, 07:36 pm »
LOUDSPEAKER SEARCH OVER ! ! ! !

SOLD!

Sorry customers, your orders are going to be delayed another day or two, I am just drawn and seduced into listening, listening, listening, and smiling at the new Salk HT-3s a kind client helped me set up this morning.

Here I am at the puter for a minute and the system is playing a big steel drum band CD (probably the hardest thing of all to play back even remotely right) and the HT-3s are calling me again.

I don't even have them on the plinths yet, just on the floor, positioning  - - - who cares?  Dead cold out of the garage.  No matter.  As Jim Winey of Magnapan once told me, "if you can't hear it in the first three notes, it does not have it."  These do!

More later.

Frank Van Alstine

Tweaker

« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2006, 07:55 pm »
Gotta be a marriage made in heaven- Van Alstine electronics and Jim Salk loudspeakers. Glad to hear your search is over. You made a great choice from all accounts. The HT3's are one of the few I would consider buying "ears unheard".

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2006, 08:21 pm »
shit, now the wait time will go up  :P

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2006, 08:35 pm »
Yeah, if you were on the fence, you better get your order in quick....

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: The great loudspeaker search over!
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2006, 08:50 pm »
Quote from: avahifi

SOLD!

Sorry customers, your orders are going to be delayed another day or two, I am just drawn and seduced into listening, listening, listening, and smiling at the new Salk HT-3s a kind client helped me set up this morning.

Here I am at the puter for a minute and the system is playing a big steel drum band CD (probably the hardest thing of all to play back even remotely right) and the HT-3s are calling me again.

I don't even have them on the plinths yet, just on t ...

I told you so just doesn't seem to do it...

Enjoy Frank.

George

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2006, 09:44 pm »
That's excellent news for people like me who'd just ordered a pair of HT3 without any audition!
 :beer:

Perhaps I should order two more pairs before Jim starts increase his price.. :mrgreen:

texas steve

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2006, 09:54 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Quote from: avahifi

SOLD!

I don't even have them on the plint ...

Well I SURE dont want to wait any longer after hearing YOUR great news!!! Come on Jim, lets get my puppies out to me!!  Im getting excited!

Mudjock

• Sehlin Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2006, 09:56 pm »
Congratulations Jim - that's about as good a testamonial as one could ever hope for :thumb:  Keep up the great work.

barnestn

Sounds as if the HT3s are worth waiting for.
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2006, 10:08 pm »
I placed my order for the HT3s the first week of December so maybe completion is fairly close.  I'm glad I'm not at the end of what looks to be a long line of anxious customers.  Congratulations to Jim for receiving Mr. Van Alstine's endorsement.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2006, 12:18 am »
Well, I'm sure glad I don't have to go back to the drawing board.  I couldn't be happier that you like what you hear.  Just out of curiosity, do you have any preference regarding the contour switch?  Do you prefer the balance with it engaged?  Cheers, Dennis.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2006, 12:20 am »
Looks like you knocked another one out of the park, Dennis.  Congrats!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2006, 12:55 am »
Quote from: JoshK
Looks like you knocked another one out of the park, Dennis.  Congrats!

Thanks--but Jim's the one who has made this work.  The right value caps and coils helps, but it's Jim's craftsmanship and just plain good business sense that have made the difference.  Believe me--working with Jim has been a pleasure from day one.

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2006, 01:22 am »
Oh no doubt, I am not discounting Jim's amazing craftmanship, just saying you got another amazing design.  Seems you have the ears that all/most audiophiles agree with.  I still want to hear a pair of your designs.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2006, 02:01 am »
Oh no doubt, I am not discounting Jim's amazing craftmanship, just saying you got another amazing design.  Seems you have the ears that all/most audiophiles agree with.  I still want to hear a pair of your designs.

If you come up to Boston, I would be happy to show of the speakers.   :dance:

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2006, 02:07 am »

If you come up to Boston, I would be happy to show of the speakers.   :dance:

George
Carmel was closer...glad I got to hear them. :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2006, 02:38 am »
C'mon Chris, it's not that far!

I'll try and snap some pics of the new space.  It is hardwood floors so I will absolutely need to pick up some area rugs!

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2006, 02:45 am »
C'mon Chris, it's not that far!

I'll try and snap some pics of the new space.  It is hardwood floors so I will absolutely need to pick up some area rugs!

George
No its not...but quiet a few Raver's had a chance to hear your system last time...sorry not many showed up.... :roll:
    I look forward to the photo's....thanks George !! 8) [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2006, 01:38 pm »
Frank -

Very glad to hear you are enjoying the HT3's.  Now I need to get my hands on one of your flagship amps (to go with my Van Alstine pre) so I can hear exactly what you are hearing!

- Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2006, 02:36 pm »
I got a private message from one person who was annoyed because I called off the search before hearing other contenders and that perhaps I was "waffling" because I really still would like to hear others too.  I answered him as follows:

>>Sorry to annoy you.

Yes I would like to hear other speakers.  But I doubt if they are going to come even close to what Jim Salk has done.  Yes the HT3s are sold.  At worse case going upstairs in my video system because the cabinet work is state of the art beautiful.  I may end up with two sets.

If I don't hear other speakers now, I really don't care.  I had not expected the HT3s to beat my 801s so well.  They have the definition of the big $20,000 a pair new B&W 800D models but with a much better bass, better looks, better workmanship, and one hell of a lot lower cost.

If I annoy other speaker manufacturers who did not come through with demos in the past few months, well that is the breaks.

I am at the computer right now typing this of course, and the HT3s are across the room playing at low level, and while I am typing, they just keep grabbing me and saying listen listen listen, in a way that no other speaker I have ever hear has done.  They keep making me quit typing and turn my head and stop and listen.  Yes, the search is over.

Frank Van Alstine<<

What more can I say?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2006, 03:00 pm »
Dennis, I am using the HT3s with the contour switch off (up) of course.

Awesome crossover design and driver implementation.

Frank