Rock pool macros

JohnR

Rock pool macros
« on: 24 Nov 2007, 10:51 am »
I've never been all that much of a fan of macro photography. But lately I seem to run into situations where a regular lens just won't get in close enough... so I bought a Nikon Non-AI 55mm macro lens for the princely sum of AUD72 (including extension tube!) off of EBay. Here's the first shots... These are all taken at Mona Vale Head this afternoon, with my D40. The non-AI lens just pops right on, alright :)

I don't know what these icky guys are, but they like hiding in the dark under rocks:

The next photo and the following all had the subject underwater. I discovered that taking photographs of things that are underwater (when you aren't) is not actually that easy... I figured out that I was able to remove a lot of glare by using a polarizing filter, and then in PS I messed with the curves to enhance contrast and that seemed to take care of the rest! Admittedly the subjects ended up a little more colorful than they appeared in real life. And I'm not sure that you can ever get a really sharp photo this way... but anyway, it's fun trying :)

This guy looks hungry. Fortunately I'm a lot bigger than he is:

The surprise for me last week in this location was the starfish. Never seen them before. That's why I went back there today:

A surfeit of starfish:

A few more photos here: http://www.lostupnorth.net/shoots/0711e/