My New Song Towers!

coke

Re: My New Song Towers!
« Reply #20 on: 3 Dec 2010, 06:30 pm »
Nice speakers! 

I just purchased a set of SongTowers myself in the Curly Walnut.  I am suppose to get them early next week.  Like most, I bought these sight unseen and unheard.  Was going to get the B&W 683's, but changed my mind after talking with Jim and seeing reviews.  I'll soon know if I made the right decision!  Now I have to decide if I should get the center and sub! 

I also need to decide whether to power these with my existing Denon 3802 or Harmon Kardon AVR65....or buy a new amp????  Ugh!

I mentioned my denon receiver in a review of my AVA gear.  Might be worth a read for you http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88682.msg871323#msg871323

KYRANGER

« Reply #21 on: 3 Dec 2010, 08:37 pm »
Coke,
Thanks for the info and good write-up.  By the way, what type/model Denon were you using?  It may not make a difference, just curious.  Mine is a 3802.  I suspect I will want to upgrade to a better amp.  I have been looking at Rotel and a few others, but wasn't considering a tube until now.  I'll probably evaluate some units that are mentioned on this site before making a purchase.
thanks again,
Bob 

coke

« Reply #22 on: 3 Dec 2010, 08:51 pm »
  I think it's a 1603.  It's not nearly as nice as yours, but it's a Denon.    I did however have a very high end Integra, and it was no where near as good as AVA.

Also you have to remember, your Denon is a DAC, Preamp, and an Amp all in one package.  If you're going to upgrade, keep this in mind.  Don't spend all you have just on an amp.

mathgeek97

« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:40 am »
I went from a Denon 3808, which I liked a lot when I had it.  Never had any complaints at all.  However, I knew that I'd heard better setups, and figured I wasn't getting my money's worth from my Salks using even a great receiver.
The current setup is:
AVA Vision EC DAC -> AVA T8+ -> AVA Insight+ Double 260
There's no comparison at all.  The tightness of the bass makes the sound completely different than the Denon.  Add to that the extreme increase in detail in the mid-range and I could never go back to the 3808.

KYRANGER

« Reply #24 on: 4 Dec 2010, 11:18 pm »
Wow, you guys have me thinking…so many choices.  You guys have some killer systems.  Well, the Song Towers are a big step up for me.  I'm still using some BW in-walls upstairs and some Infinity Overture 1's in the basement (this is the system I am upgrading - large entertaining).  I will probably go ahead and order the SongCenter.  As for the amp, pre-amp, etc, I need to evaluate and find me something of good value that will work well with my SongTowers.  I don’t want to spend thousands, but definitely willing to spend a good chunk to get something descent.  So, I'm torn between a higher end AVR, say a Rotel 1067 or something similar or buy a some separates, one piece at a time.  I could use one of my current AVR's (Denon 3802 or HK AVR65) to drive a new higher end amp.  I need to keep my system relatively simple for the wife to use (not sure if that possible! ha!).  Anyway, you guys have given some food for thought.  I've been online all day researching!  Thanks!
Bob