Jumper questions HT3's

carusoracer

Jumper questions HT3's
« on: 6 Dec 2007, 04:18 pm »
Curious as to what Jumpers owners are using in their HT3's?

I still have the Cardas jumper that was installed with the speaker. Any differences good bad indifferent with other vendors products?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Jumper questions HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2007, 04:34 pm »

I still have the Cardas jumper that was installed with the speaker. Any differences good bad indifferent with other vendors products?

I preferred my Argent Audio Pursang jumpers, but they are no longer in business.

What speaker cables are you using?

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2007, 05:17 pm »

None really.  I bought some Kimber fancy versions from Sound Values, I think, via Audiogon for around $50.  I got bananas on one end and spades on the other so that the banana end could go into the terminal that the main speaker cable spade used.  I run the main SC to the high end circuit.

carusoracer

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2007, 05:50 pm »

I preferred my Argent Audio Pursang jumpers, but they are no longer in business.

What speaker cables are you using?

George

Hey George,

I'm still using my PS Audio Prelude Xtreme SC's.  I have changed all my other cables and cords but these were still from one the first iterations of my system :o
I have compared a few but not many extensively and looking to find better. They have held up surprisingly well against some other well thought of cable. Main weakness I'm going after is better articulation in the bottom end with some authority and slam.

GregC

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2007, 12:40 am »
I ran Signal Cable Silver Resolution jumpers with spades on one end and BFA bananas on the other end on my Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signatures and was very happy with the resolution and low end slam.  The price to performance ratio is excellent IMHO.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2007, 10:53 am »
I'm using these:

http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/Detail?no=213

Expensive though.

carusoracer

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2007, 02:31 pm »
Great replies..Any others?

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2007, 03:39 pm »
On my Legacy speakers, the internal wiring for MT and W is bolted by lug to speaker posts and both leads can be connected to one set of posts, eliminating the need for any jumpers. Not sure if this is common, or whether leads soldered to post is more common. Simple enough to check.

When I was auditioning a few jumpers to go with JPS SC3 cable I found the stock copper plate jumpers to sound better than Anticable or even Aluminata jumpers. But eliminating the jumper connection altogether made the most sense to me.
Rich

jbtrio

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2007, 03:37 am »
I'm using Kubala-Sosna Emotion jumpers with spades on one side and WBT locking banana's on the other, with very good results.

95bcwh

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2007, 05:43 am »
I have recently tested bi-wiring and I was stunned by the improvement compare to using a mono cable with a jumper.

My bi-wire is Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun and I compared it with Acoustic Zen Satori Mono + Nordost Tyr Jumper.

YMMV.

carusoracer

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2007, 02:30 am »
I have recently tested bi-wiring and I was stunned by the improvement compare to using a mono cable with a jumper.

My bi-wire is Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun and I compared it with Acoustic Zen Satori Mono + Nordost Tyr Jumper.

YMMV.

Thanks for the replies. I have been trying to read what others may have experienced vs trying to reinvent the wheel.
I have heard good things about AZ products and Bi wring. I do not have dual posts on the back of my amp but I can see advantages.
What would you say are the differences that your hearing?

95bcwh

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2007, 03:14 am »
You don't need dual-posts on your amp, bi-wire means dual-posts on the speaker instead! So the cable has one pair of spades on the amp side and two pairs of spades on the speaker side.

With the bi-wiring, I heard improvement in transparency, and a more neutral tonal balance.

Thanks for the replies. I have been trying to read what others may have experienced vs trying to reinvent the wheel.
I have heard good things about AZ products and Bi wring. I do not have dual posts on the back of my amp but I can see advantages.
What would you say are the differences that your hearing?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2007, 03:21 am »

YMMV.

Interesting...

When I owned HT3's I couldn't hear any improvement with bi-wiring, yet I could hear a difference with switching out the stock jumpers.   :scratch:

George

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2007, 03:22 am »
Since I've never seen a write-up of a properly controlled blind test of biwiring, and the reports here are subjective, I'll add my own subjective opinion.  I've never heard any difference (and I've never seen a rigorous scientific explanation of why there should be an improvement.)  There may still be an improvement that I can't hear, but I'm sticking to my basic philosophy, which is that...it's all about crossovers.  If the crossover is right, wires, terminals, designer caps, interconnects, etc. don't much matter.

95bcwh

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2007, 03:32 am »
Perhaps the Nordost jumper was doing something it shouldn't.... :lol:

Well..I was never a believer in cable, I tested a bunch of speaker cables from Audioquest, Gregg Straley, Nordost, Tara lab, Transparent, and didn't feel like they're worth the big bucks. I have been happily living with $160 Usher Speaker cables for more than a year, until I heard the AZ. It took a lot of pain for me to decide to pay for the AZ Satori Shotgun bi-wire.

The morale of the story is, don't try something until your wallet is ready..luckily the Satori isn't too expensive, but it's not cheap either. :dunno:

Interesting...

When I owned HT3's I couldn't hear any improvement with bi-wiring, yet I could hear a difference with switching out the stock jumpers.   :scratch:

George

brj

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2007, 03:48 am »
Quote from: DMurphy
I've never heard any difference (and I've never seen a rigorous scientific explanation of why there should be an improvement.)

Dennis, I haven't played with bi-wiring, but I did have one thought that might make a difference... if the original wire was too light a gauge for the amount of current being demanded by the entire speaker, moving to a bi-wire configuration and therefore doubling the effective wire gauge might have an audible effect, would it not?  I'm guessing the TC Sounds woofers can demand a lot of current...

martyo

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2007, 02:02 pm »
I bi-wire with my present speakers. Nothing special, the same 10 Ga Beldon wire with bananas piggy backed at the amp.

The linear network being the crossover, apparently it would need to be poorly isolated/designed in order for biwiring to render SOME difference that could not necessarily amount to an improvement.

This could explain why in my system the low end is more defined with bi-wiring.

Side note: In an old Audio Basics from the 80's the bi-wiring topic came up and at that time Frank concluded that if your speakers were set up for bi-wiring, bi-wiring could benefit the sound.