Custom "smokey silver" SongTower QWT's

jsalk

Custom "smokey silver" SongTower QWT's
« on: 9 Dec 2007, 03:31 pm »
I had built a pair of special rosewood SongTower QWT's for the Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  These were my personal pair.  But as with most speakers I build for myself, someone eventually wants them and this was recently the case with the RMAF pair.  So it was time to build a new pair for myself. 

I searched through our stock of veneers and came across some very nice Tiger maple.  Normally this would be held aside for a pair of special HT3's, but there wasn't quite enough.  In fact, there was slightly less than I needed for a pair of SongTowers.  But I figured out a way to make it work even though I was just a bit short (none is needed under the front baffle).

When we finished veneering them, I thought they were so nice it would be worth using a special dye technique.  After testing a wide range of custom colors, we finally decided to go with a base dye of silver grey and a warm black/brown "burst" style effect on the cabinet edges.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

When my 23 year old daughter saw them, she offered her quick take on the finish.  Of all the speakers we have ever built, these were her all-time favorites.  She also hinted that they would make a great holiday gift for some beloved family member.  I let her down easy, pointing out that they wouldn't fit under the tree.

- Jim

BrianM

Re: Custom "smokey silver" SongTower QWT's
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2007, 04:10 pm »
!!!

:drool:

Toka

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2007, 04:46 pm »
WOW!  :o

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2007, 05:09 pm »
your an artist my man. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2007, 05:17 pm »
I don't imagine these babies will be hanging around for very long,,, totally exotic indeed.  :notworthy:

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2007, 05:44 pm »
Those are one of the best looking speakers you have made Jim.   :thumb:

Somebody is going to be quite lucky to put them in their system.

George

Woodsea

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2007, 10:36 pm »
You got my vote for best finish eva!

Tweaker

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2007, 10:43 pm »
Wow, that is dramatic. You ever thought of making electric guitars?

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2007, 10:53 pm »
Tweaker -

Wow, that is dramatic. You ever thought of making electric guitars?

I already have too many guitars.  That is where the inspiration for this type of finish orignated.

One time I tried a traditional sunburst finish (amber fading to red/brown fading to black or dark brown).  It looks great on a guitar.  But I can tell you this from first-hand experience:  It does not work on speakers!  After applying a perfect dye job, the first comment I got was, "What's this? Return to the '70's?"  The second was, "who would want that in their home?"  After hours of sanding off the dye, I finished them in a more traditional way.

But, in this case, I think it turned out great.

I have always wanted to do a similar finish in colors like deep blue, concord purple, red, green, etc.  The results will be much like many of the nicest guitars I have ever seen.  And they would look great in a contemporary home.  But not many of our customers would probably want a speaker that dramatic.  So I guess I'll wait for just the right customer.

- Jim

Tweaker

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2007, 11:54 pm »
I just refinished a strat and tried a wood dye. It really wasn't a nice enough grain to look good so I ended up painting it with an automotive paint. I do love the dye effect though and can envision your speakers with some of the colors you have mentioned. I think they would look stunning.

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2007, 12:09 am »
Tweaker -

I just refinished a strat and tried a wood dye. It really wasn't a nice enough grain to look good so I ended up painting it with an automotive paint. I do love the dye effect though and can envision your speakers with some of the colors you have mentioned. I think they would look stunning.

There is one dye technique that is probably beyond my current capabilities, but I will work to master the technique. 

Imagine starting with some beautiful curly, quilted or fiddle-back maple.  Use aniline dye to dye the entire surface black.  When you examine the figuring pattern, you will find that the pattern is made up of varying densities.  If you think about it, the dye will soak deeper into the less dense portions of the wood and not so much in the more dense sections.  You then sand the surface and until you sand through the dye in the dense sections, leaving dye only in the softer sections.

You then go over the top with, say, a deep blue dye.  You end up with a figuring pattern made up of deep blue and dark black blue.  Call the result "Midnight Blue" - a much deeper and richer blue than any blue dye alone would be capable of producing. Then do a black "burst" on the edges and you'd have a truly impressive looking speaker. 

Some day...

- Jim

jcpix

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2007, 11:52 pm »

Well I guess I'm going to be the one to disappoint Jim's daughter.  I've watched his work for several months here and this pair looks perfect for me.  Can't wait to get them into my system.    :D

Woodsea

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:16 am »
Jim, you must have something else in mind to have let these go already!?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:17 am »

Well I guess I'm going to be the one to disappoint Jim's daughter.  I've watched his work for several months here and this pair looks perfect for me.  Can't wait to get them into my system.    :D

Buyin' on your first post,,,,, 1st posts don't get any better than that. Welcome to AudioCircle!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

rydenfan

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:20 am »
So much for your new personal pair Jim...  :D

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:45 am »
Jim.

I've seen you do a lot of beautiful speakers but those are unlike anything I've ever seen.  They're simply stunning.  What a gorgeous finish.  You could probably just rent those out for photoshoots.

Bryan

TomS

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:54 am »
So much for your new personal pair Jim...  :D

I think my friend Kevin bought Jim's "other" personal pair (rosewood!!) that was supposed to arrive a couple days ago.  Unfortunately he's still in NJ so hasn't been able to enjoy them yet :(  Tom

jcpix

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:26 am »

Buyin' on your first post,,,,, 1st posts don't get any better than that. Welcome to AudioCircle!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
[/quote]

Thanks,  I've been lurking for a long time.  This pair of speakers are too amazing to pass up.

Christof

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:53 am »
Nice work Jim  :thumb:

nature boy

« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:56 am »
Bravo, Bravo!  Just when I thought Jim could not top himself, he does it again.

NB